"Not for hire"

remoandiris

No commercial hitch should be enough

A manufacturer home toter doesn't have a commercial hitch but it is commercial. A box truck over 26,001 lb GVWR has no commercial hitch but it commercial if used for business.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A manufacturer home toter doesn't have a commercial hitch but it is commercial. A box truck over 26,001 lb GVWR has no commercial hitch but it commercial if used for business.

And someone delivering 5ers, if they wanted to be "nice" to the 5ers and didn't haul other loads, wouldn't have a "commercial" hitch either. Likewise, if I had a 5er heavy enough, I might very well have a "commercial" hitch while being non-commercial.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

It's not about hitches. You can have a commercial hitch and not be commercial. As Big5er points out, the racing team logo spells sponsorship, which means money is being made with the use of that private, not for hire truck. The money being made aspect is what makes it commercial. Not the hitch.

I'm a work'n on it.

Private RV not for hire. Stopped in Ontario one night by MTO after passing a scale bobtail with Smart on truck

He came to the door after seeing signs just asked for DL no reg ran it and sent us away.

50 k and 8 yrs no other issues. Signs work for me??

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Question for Phil:

What if you have an Escapes logo on the truck, or a Washington Redskins emblem or something of that nature that simply shows your support for a club or sports team - even a BIG VOLVO sign on the door? Where is the line drawn? Is it better to have NOTHING than one of those?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Ok try this one..........

Last Friday I needed to fuel the Dollytrolley so...........I place the Trolley in stealth mode (6th at 750 RPM ) and sneak out of the hood........out on the first section of the main drag I drift down to 3rd at the first stop light and note that a Ram 35000000 dually was towing a 35 ft flat-bed goose neck with NINE (yes 9) 5,500 lb concrete highway divider sections chained to the trailer...........folks do the math..........this RAM was way way way big time loaded!!!

The light turned green and for once the Dollytrolley looked like a top fuel truck hole-shooting the Ram across the intersection........

Here is the giggle at the next intersection a LEO pulled up next to the Ram and when the light turned green just pulled ahead of the Ram and drove away...........

The Ram had no lettering anywhere and as I fueled I glanced across the highway and chuckled as the Ram driver pulled in to a construction site and hopped into a BIG Cat Excavator and started unloading the divider sections onto the site..............

Obviously with a overload that huge no one would want any lettering on the rig and for sure no DOT #

With only 49,500 lbs of concrete dividers on a 12,000 empty wt trailer are we getting near those "RAM TOUGH" ads that we see in the TV and mag ads?????

Its kinda funny that the HDT RV owners stress out over what we might appear to be.......... when everyday I see Dually-little-girlie rigs toteing mid-size excavators that would be a good size load for a class 8 tractor........

Drive on.........(Don't stop quickly in front of a ..........LOADED RAM......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ok try this one..........

Last Friday I needed to fuel the Dollytrolley so...........I place the Trolley in stealth mode (6th at 750 RPM ) and sneak out of the hood........out on the first section of the main drag I drift down to 3rd at the first stop light and note that a Ram 35000000 dually was towing a 35 ft flat-bed goose neck with NINE (yes 9) 5,500 lb concrete highway divider sections chained to the trailer...........folks do the math..........this RAM was way way way big time loaded!!!

The light turned green and for once the Dollytrolley looked like a top fuel truck hole-shooting the Ram across the intersection........

Here is the giggle at the next intersection a LEO pulled up next to the Ram and when the light turned green just pulled ahead of the Ram and drove away...........

The Ram had no lettering anywhere and as I fueled I glanced across the highway and chuckled as the Ram driver pulled in to a construction site and hopped into a BIG Cat Excavator and started unloading the divider sections onto the site..............

Obviously with a overload that huge no one would want any lettering on the rig and for sure no DOT #

With only 49,500 lbs of concrete dividers on a 12,000 empty wt trailer are we getting near those "RAM TOUGH" ads that we see in the TV and mag ads?????

Its kinda funny that the HDT RV owners stress out over what we might appear to be.......... when everyday I see Dually-little-girlie rigs toteing mid-size excavators that would be a good size load for a class 8 tractor........

Drive on.........(Don't stop quickly in front of a ..........LOADED RAM......)

Next time get pics or it didn't happen....... ;)

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Next time get pics or it didn't happen....... ;)

Humm.......maybe I am spending too much time just driving........maybe mix in some pic-taking into my driving will make overloaders stay home........

Seems to me that if the LEO's car had more cams than you could count ........plenty of pics were in progress.....then maybe the rest of us drivers just need to stay out of the big-loads way......

IF LEO's are not in the mood to cite overloads it seems likely the rest of us might best served by staying out of the stop-path of the load.......

My point is that we see a LOT of hugely loaded pickups on the road these days and not all of these pickups are pulling RV's , many are pulling pretty heavy commercial loads .........

Drive on.........(Enjoy pics while driving .........not.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Humm.......maybe I am spending too much time just driving........maybe mix in some pic-taking into my driving will make overloaders stay home........

Seems to me that if the LEO's car had more cams than you could count ........plenty of pics were in progress.....then maybe the rest of us drivers just need to stay out of the big-loads way......

IF LEO's are not in the mood to cite overloads it seems likely the rest of us might best served by staying out of the stop-path of the load.......

My point is that we see a LOT of hugely loaded pickups on the road these days and not all of these pickups are pulling RV's , many are pulling pretty heavy commercial loads .........

Drive on.........(Enjoy pics while driving .........not.......)

It would make most any cop's day to cite and perhaps haul to jail, a grossly over loaded hotshot. Problem is, there are procedures and protocol. Unless the trailer or pickup has flat tires or bending excessively, or other obvious physical signs of over load, a cop cant just pull over all rigs with cement on them. If you were to call it in, that might make a difference.

I'm a work'n on it.

It would make most any cop's day to cite and perhaps haul to jail, a grossly over loaded hotshot. Problem is, there are procedures and protocol. Unless the trailer or pickup has flat tires or bending excessively, or other obvious physical signs of over load, a cop cant just pull over all rigs with cement on them. If you were to call it in, that might make a difference.

Deezl and Crazy all good points......

If you look at it thru-the-sunglasses-of-the-LEO another point comes to light........the nearest scale was several miles away up a hill that the RAM would likely never be able to safely climb then it would have to descend a even steeper long grade that he would likely never be able to stop AND to get to the scales he would have to cross two lanes of +65 mph opposing traffic...........NO good choices here....in the end he did not hurt anyone so all is well......this time........

Sometimes the LEO has pretty ugly choices and my choice is to try to stay out of the way as best I can when I know loads are too large......

Drive on.........(Avoid too large of loads.........)

Don't need a headache. Maybe I ought to just stay with my 3500

No worries....don't let the isolated possibility of an incident put the screws to your fun! It could be worse?! You could call CA home!

If you look at it thru-the-sunglasses-of-the-LEO another point comes to light........the nearest scale was several miles away up a hill that the RAM would likely never be able to safely climb then it would have to descend a even steeper long grade that he would likely never be able to stop AND to get to the scales he would have to cross two lanes of +65 mph opposing traffic...........NO good choices here....in the end he did not hurt anyone so all is well......this time........

Sometimes the LEO has pretty ugly choices and my choice is to try to stay out of the way as best I can when I know loads are too large......

I can say if I needed to move 45K of cargo a shorter distance with my Dodge 3500, I would do it IF the trailer was so rated and had brakes to stop it. I have been grossing well over 30K for long distances for years with what I consider questionable brakes even though they are better than average.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

How many folks on here have been stopped by a LEO while HDT RV'n ?

I got stopped coming home from the ECR this year in Tennessee, My truck is registered in a LLC in Montana, So is the trailer, LEO asked me why, I stated after my last divorce I will not loose the toys again. Then a large clap of thunder sounded and he looked at the sky and said have a safe trip. He did think I was delivering a new unit from the factory, but the thunder hit before I could ask him to open the basement door and see if they ship them with all that crap in them. :D

GCTaaehl.jpg

Private RV not for hire. Stopped in Ontario one night by MTO after passing a scale bobtail with Smart on truck

He came to the door after seeing signs just asked for DL no reg ran it and sent us away.

50 k and 8 yrs no other issues. Signs work for me

Same scenerio in Nova Scotia but no smart. He did suggest stopping at scales in Canada.......ummmm, no.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Sometimes the LEO is not in their jurisdiction, may be off duty, or may not be their job descriptions (may be in parking enforcement, homicide, traffic control). Typically I think they would leave such stops for DOT unless they felt it was an accident getting ready to happen.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Don't need a headache. Maybe I ought to just stay with my 3500

If I didn't want to take a RZR, I would stay with my 3500. But, I do want a RZR, so an HDT is in my future.

Based on the replies, I plan to skip the signage unless I get pulled over a few times. If that happens, I'll add the letters. My HDT will also be singled. Don't know if LEO will notice that and a light bulb go on or not.

I'll will add to the confusion here. And an opinion from Big 5er would be appreciated. I am full blown commercial. Everything. CDL AM- Endorsements PTX, apportioned plates-logs-medical card.

When I pull my personal trailer, my company is aware of it,, they charge me as if I were pulling any customers trailer and promptly "forgive" the invoice as a perk for being a good contractor. But I follow all regulations, I fill out a bill of lading, log book current , all documentation, go through open scales(never an issue) etc.

I have had some express the opinion I am breaking the law, because I am off duty, but logging driving/on duty etc.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Reading al this is discouraging. My 3500 with all this pin weight beats the !!! Out of me. Not staying with it.

There will always be "incidents" or things to worry about. Which is why I drive (always) with at least one dash cam. I've been thinking about more.

But your chances of encountering a nuisance stop if you JUST have an RV behind you and nothing else "exciting" (like, for example, towing doubles) is VERY VERY slim. In over 15 years fulltiming (13 of them with an HDT) I've NEVER been stopped. Not one time. And 8 of those years I was pulling a Jeep behind my trailer and was (up to) 85' long (depending on the trailer and truck). Plus I NEVER, EVER go through a scalehouse.

Even if you are stopped, you will be able to explain your situation without much issue. Just be prepared to do so.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There is an opinion, attitude, mindset, whatever you want to call it that Phil- Big5er- and others including myself, newbie-that I am, have. And that is every time we get in the truck, we expect to be stopped for whatever reason. Curious patrolman, new officer making his point, bored scale officer, etc. That's why it has been stressed in the past to have a folder or book put together with all your legal documentation. I may be wrong that NOBODY has ever gotten an out of service citation using their truck as a private vehicle, but nobody has spoken up about it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I may be wrong that NOBODY has ever gotten an out of service citation using their truck as a private vehicle, but nobody has spoken up about it.

I've never heard of it happening. I don't know of anyone that has actually had to break apart a standard RV load (not towing doubles) and had part of it towed or driven by others. I do know of people cited, but they then proceeded on their way slightly poorer.

I expect it will happen some day, but I've not heard of it. At least for those that were legitimate private RVers.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have only been doing the hdt thing now for 2 summers the 1st I was crazy just bought it and took off a week later, boy did I have fun!!!!!!!! This year I went to a shop and had the truck given the once over, he did basically a DOT inspection and he fixed what would take me out of service( normally) and recommended things to be addressed during my down time in the winter, that way I figured IF I was stopped less of chance of something happening.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Maybe I am missing something about the not-for-hire issue since I have not given much thought to being stopped.......

I find that keeping speeds at "truck-speeds" and keeping large stopping room ahead keeps LEO occupied with the real hotshots on the road.

The last LEO stop I had was 6 years ago out in Rattlesnake Flats, AZ and it was dusk and the horse trailer lights were blinking off and on and the LEO hooked a u-turn when he noticed the problem.

I pulled over and he walked up and look at my license then mentioned the light flicker.......I got out and unplugged the plug and plugged it back in but when I wiggled it the lights still flickered........I looked into the plug it seemed to have something in one of the holes.....the officer pulled out his flashlight and shined it in the hole and it had the remains of a insect in the hole........I dug the corpse out with my Leatherman tool and plugged the plug in and all was well.........heck of a nice officer .........I thanked him and he said "have a nice evening".......

Very nice stop.......

Drive on..........(Not all stops are bad........)

Archived