"Not for hire"

remoandiris

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used "Non commercial, personal RV" which kinda was distilled from a bunch of threads that Phil participated in.

Don't know if it works any better, but I've never been chased down from a scale. But then neither has pretty much anyone else. lol

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

A company truck can be "Not for Hire" to any other company and still be commercial.

A "Private Truck" can be owned by a company and still be commercial.

I settled on "Personal RV Toter" because a "RV Toter" could be commercial delivering RVs.

In the end, it is only to help a LEO make the decision that you are not commercial.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

This past summer traveling home through Montana we were passing a scale in the passing lane and the weather was really bad. As, we pulled into the right lane a DOT car came shooting out of the scale area and backed right off when he saw the "Private RV Not for Hire" on the side of the truck and what I was hauling. I think it just helps them make their decision on whether or not they want to bother with a HDT pulling an RV.

From personal experience I would rather have some readable ID on the truck identifying it as a non-commercial recreational vehicle for private use than nothing at all.

The signs may have no legal standing but they do get the attention of people in capacities other than DOT. Highway signs like "No commercial Vehicles except bus's left lane." - hey, I'm not commercial! Toll road toll collectors - OK I get the RV rate not the commercial truck rate. Signs on residential thru roads saying "no trucks" - again, I am an RV (just read MY sign!) Campgrounds that restrict (commercial) trucks overnight - my signs explains I am an RV before I am told no.

The Private RV signs on my truck are like the "Beware of Dog" signs in someone's front yard. They may have no legal bearing but they do serve as notification. And, such notification can totally change an individual's first impression of what they see. (Shucks, they may not even have a dog at that house.) The signs also may give a busy LEO or DOT officer an excuse or reason why it is not important to mess with you when more obvious vehicles need to be checked.

There are signs everywhere and the general population has been conditioned to read and believe signs - especially those on vehicles and along a highway.

The signs also satisfy curious onlookers and may even keep a small town LEO from citing you for parking in a zone where commercial vehicle's are prohibited.

Shucks - put a sign on your truck that reads "Private Elephant" and a considerable percentage of the population will believe it - or at least look inside to see if it is there.

It is a Psychology thing - not a legal thing. :)

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs?

And a quick thank you to the 5 Man Electrical Band

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I like RandyA's practical explanation.

And I really like Paul and Paula's song lyrics. Everytime I see an inappropriate sign( NO TRUCKS ) at the end of a road that has a Steel Mill on it(which I can show you here in New Carlisle IN) I start singing that to myself...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I want to peel mine off.....

I don't have signs on any of our other vehicles that say "I have a valid driver's license and insurance" or "NOT an illegal alien" or "NOT transporting illegal drugs"! Last time I checked, this is still America where you are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no business name or DOT # present, it should be assumed by law enforcement that it is a private vehicle for personal/recreational use.

If I repaint the truck I'm not putting anything on it for sure!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

If there is no business name or DOT # present, it should be assumed by law enforcement that it is a private vehicle for personal/recreational use.

Unfortunately there are many that have no markings or "private RV-Not for Hire" that are in fact commercial and are trying to skirt the regs rather than comply. Many are registered as RV's under the mistaken belief that RV's are exempt from the regs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Might it make more sense to have "Registered Private RV"? That may prompt an LEO could run the plate, look at the trailer, and then decide whether to have a closer look.

That said, if he thinks you're possibly commercial, yer get'n pulled over anyway.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I want to peel mine off.....

I don't have signs on any of our other vehicles that say "I have a valid driver's license and insurance" or "NOT an illegal alien" or "NOT transporting illegal drugs"! Last time I checked, this is still America where you are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no business name or DOT # present, it should be assumed by law enforcement that it is a private vehicle for personal/recreational use.

If I repaint the truck I'm not putting anything on it for sure!

That's cool. To each their own. I like a non cluttered paint scheme. But I had my not 4 hire decals made up at the local custom vinyl shop and had him match my colors and took him an oregon license plate to exactly model the sign to. I put it right next to the oregon plate so it looks like it belongs there. I did the same with the private use only decals and put them by the sleeper tool doors. The colors blend in with the paint colors real well. And the placement of them, sorta goes with what a commercial truck would have.

I'm a work'n on it.

From personal experience I would rather have some readable ID on the truck identifying it as a non-commercial recreational vehicle for private use than nothing at all.

It is a Psychology thing - not a legal thing. :)

Exactly....which is why I have always had a sign, and why I believe it has helped me avoid nuisance stops several times I am aware of - and probably others I am not aware of.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Stopped once. All questions related to who I hauled for and who owned everything. I had my notebook. Received a warning ticket for expired rv plate. I was on the way to register it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Might it make more sense to have "Registered Private RV"? That may prompt an LEO could run the plate, look at the trailer, and then decide whether to have a closer look.

That said, if he thinks you're possibly commercial, yer get'n pulled over anyway.

You mean like this guy ? :)

001_zps75774688.jpg

Or maybe this one?

slacker2_zps12fdac37.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I imagine it quickly gets into an unsettled area of law when stopping a non-commercial vehicle under the assumption that it might be commercial (if it was, generally, nothing more needed to make a stop). What's reasonable/probable/etc. to make the determination that it's hauling freight? If you're non-commercial, you wouldn't (subject to a long list of exceptions to fourth amendment protections) have to allow anyone inside, right?

Not trying to start a discussion on what to do if stopped, just trying to point out that there may actually be some space (small though) where a sign might carry some legal weight. It would make it a little harder for an officer to claim (should it end up in court) that he had no idea you weren't commercial when initiating the stop. If it were me, the thing to post would be "non-commercial RV," with "non-commercial" being the key part. Like Phil points out, the "Private RV" and "Not for Hire" wording seems pretty common among the very professional/commercial racing crowd. They're careful not to make a false statement, and try to imply that they're non-commercial. Maybe from far enough away, they occasionally get a pass for there being some sort of text on the door where a DOT number should be.

Of course, in his second picture, they're between a rock and a hard place: as a truck tractor, they're not an RV; if an RV, they're over-length.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Realizing that this gets beat to death every 6 months or so,

If it looks like a duck,

If it acts like a duck,

If it sounds like a duck,

The authorities are going to treat you like a duck.

It's on us as private "RV, farm truck, non-commercial, private RV toter, not for hire", owners to be prepared with our "Truck is Not a Duck" information binder. That's always at the ready, pictures of what the truck normally tows, proof of ownership, registration, insurance, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived