Another Air Leak Thread ....

RickW

Scrap probably experiences that often enough messing around with things :)

Years ago when I was driving a nice longnose Pete my neighbor and I were taking a load into NYC when we popped the valve just inside the city. Believe me, it was ugly. You don't want to do it.

BTW, using a longnose truck inside NYC is just plain stupid....but you do what you have to do.....in this case it was backing a 48' trailer down an alley into the back of a hospital to access the docks. With an entire 6" of clearance on each side of the mirrors. I never did that back.... he did it.... :) To make the cut into the alley you had to use the entire street and the sidewalk....the cops loved us. Of course you could only go in between 10pm and 4am.

You couldn't pay me enough to do that Jack. I like the woods a whole lot better than tight cities. lol

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't pose a problem for me, it is something I'd heard a few years ago from a driver. Maybe it was only the firm he drove for.

No you are correct that is policy with most companies do to insurance reasons.

My company just has worked it out so it's OK as long as we fill out a request form and it is strictly family.

No you are correct that is policy with most companies do to insurance reasons.

My company just has worked it out so it's OK as long as we fill out a request form and it is strictly family.

Bronc..........where were the forms when I needed them in 1960 when the ole KW laid over on her side and I followed the pass-side-windshield out to the end of the hood in the dirt.........what a family ride that day.......

All things considered I have often thought that all of those car drivers that do DUMB moves around trucks should not be able to get their drivers license back Until they log a day in the cab of a heavy truck..........Grumps used to say........"well today was a good day I saved three car loads of dumb folks doing dumb moves.........."

Drive on.......( Let the passengers see what trucking is about.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Just getting caught up. Did not get this far down the board yesterday before making a living got in the way of keeping up with my reading.

The truck is at the shop. Being a Monday they were swamped. I have not heard from them but he said it would be late Monday or first thing this morning before they could get to it. So I should know sometime today the exact cause of the air leak.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

George, I'm sure you miss those days ;)

I'm surprised you did not have a rear "retention" cat on that trailer.....but then again, if they had known.......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, the Drill Site Rep knew how bad that road got, so he didn't want us anywhere near it.

His 'nights' guy though he would show some initiative and brought us in without discussing it with the 'Days' guy. He didn't order a Cat at all, we just borrowed one that was doing some other work and happened by. Neither of us had been down that road before, and it looked OK until you got onto it.

OOPSIE!! lol

Three body load trucks in the ditch that night after the rain including the fire tender.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Just getting caught up. Did not get this far down the board yesterday before making a living got in the way of keeping up with my reading.

The truck is at the shop. Being a Monday they were swamped. I have not heard from them but he said it would be late Monday or first thing this morning before they could get to it. So I should know sometime today the exact cause of the air leak.

Well I hope you know what's up with the truck. Is this due to the leak from the front of the firewall?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

It is the pedal valve. The truck sat for over 90 days this summer (longest it has sat in quite some time) as our other projects kept us quite busy instead of out having fun. Guessing the lack of use and old age was causing the valve to leak some. After using the truck this past weekend, the problem was becoming difficult to isolate. The valve is being replaced regardless. I will try to break free and pick the truck up this afternoon or first thing in the morning at the latest.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Guessing the lack of use and old age was causing the valve to leak some.

Unlike what most believe on here..........

Equipment sitting for long periods and not being exercised does more harm than good.

Equipment sitting for long periods and not being exercised does more harm than good.

That is a good point. People new to the truck world should make it a habit to drive their trucks when not towing. I'm guilty of letting it sit sometimes too, so a reminder occasionally is a good thing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree. Typically when not traveling the truck is used at least once a month or more but recently we moved and our SPA was sitting on the truck bed. Between figuring out how to unload the SPA and having a place to put it was just easier to leave it on the truck for the time being. SPA is off now and while the valve may have only needed to have its legs stretched, it is being replaced.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

I agree with your statement about equipment that sits for long periods of time, but "most"? Where did you get that stat from? I find that "most" of the HDT owners "on here", that I speak with, believe in exercising their truck as often as they can. They understand what happens to batteries, tires, diesel fuel, brake shoes/drums, air lines/bags, not to mention seals and other items left sitting. The exceptions are the ones that get snowed in during the winter and are thus unable to get their trucks out of the snow, but I would not call them "most". Or are you referring to other motorhome owners that you know "on here"? How many HDT rv'ers "on here" have you actually met? Have you ever driven your motorhome to an HDT rally and seen what the people "on here" do? I'd be willing to bet that the HDT's at a rally are in far better condition and better maintained that an equal number of trucks found in the average truck stop. And while their drivers may not have the experience that a commercial driver does, I bet their level of safety exceeds the average RV'er.

No insult intended, but it appears that you believe that you have some special reason to belittle and correct all the lowly, uneducated and dangerous HDT drivers that are "on here". If "most" of this group are so oblivious and such a hazard, then why do you hang out here so much?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I agree with your statement about equipment that sits for long periods of time, but "most"? Where did you get that stat from? I find that "most" of the HDT owners "on here", that I speak with, believe in exercising their truck as often as they can. They understand what happens to batteries, tires, diesel fuel, brake shoes/drums, air lines/bags, not to mention seals and other items left sitting. The exceptions are the ones that get snowed in during the winter and are thus unable to get their trucks out of the snow, but I would not call them "most". Or are you referring to other motorhome owners that you know "on here"? How many HDT rv'ers "on here" have you actually met? Have you ever driven your motorhome to an HDT rally and seen what the people "on here" do? I'd be willing to bet that the HDT's at a rally are in far better condition and better maintained that an equal number of trucks found in the average truck stop. And while their drivers may not have the experience that a commercial driver does, I bet their level of safety exceeds the average RV'er.

No insult intended, but it appears that you believe that you have some special reason to belittle and correct all the lowly, uneducated and dangerous HDT drivers that are "on here". If "most" of this group are so oblivious and such a hazard, then why do you hang out here so much?

I'm referring to "All" air brake equipped vehicles. HDT and DP......

A soon as there is something that doesn't go your way, you come out kickin' and screamin' and bashin' people.

As someone once said....."Sorry to get your panties in a wad".

Big5er - cold ( down to -35 or so ) and dark make good storage conditions for stuff that has to sit... moisture / rusting doesn't work, UV wreckage doesn't work, never gets rained on, bird***t is not happening due to pucker factor, snow cover protects the paint, no dirt blowing around sticking on stuff to collect more damaging moisture, other vehicles and machines cannot plow through the snow and run into stuff...well 'cept for errant tractors with dozers in a blizzard,

my story and I'm stickin to it when economic conditions prevent a winter run to sunny SoCal :lol::lol::(

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I'm referring to "All" air brake equipped vehicles. HDT and DP......

A soon as there is something that doesn't go your way, you come out kickin' and screamin' and bashin' people.

As someone once said....."Sorry to get your panties in a wad".

Wow, I thought it was you that was here "bashing" people. I simply asked you a couple of questions. They were:

1) where do you get your stats about the people "on here" from?

2) How many HDT RV owners "on here" have you actually met?

3) If you have ever taken your motorhome to an HDT rally in an attempt to LEARN about the people that you are here criticizing?

4) Why you hang out in the HDT forum if you believe that so many here are inherently hazardous?

I notice that rather than answer any of my questions, your response was simply to once again, complain about my disagreeing with your assessment of the people in this forum. I didn't "kick, scream or bash" you. Of course you can not say the same, can you? Why is it that you won't answer questions and find some need to insult people that ask questions about your opinion?

Big5er - cold ( down to -35 or so ) and dark make good storage conditions for stuff that has to sit... moisture / rusting doesn't work, UV wreckage doesn't work, never gets rained on, bird***t is not happening due to pucker factor, snow cover protects the paint, no dirt blowing around sticking on stuff to collect more damaging moisture, other vehicles and machines cannot plow through the snow and run into stuff...well 'cept for errant tractors with dozers in a blizzard,

my story and I'm stickin to it when economic conditions prevent a winter run to sunny SoCal :lol::lol::(

noteven, sounds like a great theory to me :) It seems to work for all the stuff they store underground in old salt mines, so why can't it work for snowed in HDT's? :lol:

2014 smart Fortwo

noteven, sounds like a great theory to me :) It seems to work for all the stuff they store underground in old salt mines, so why can't it work for snowed in HDT's? :lol:

Because the snow kept piling up on the 150 w solar maintainer I use. Cost me 2 batteries. On the other hand, they were of unknown age, so not a big loss. The panels in Phoenix were getting enough sun to keep the inverter feeding the fridge for extra "Beverages".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Because the snow kept piling up on the 150 w solar maintainer I use. Cost me 2 batteries. On the other hand, they were of unknown age, so not a big loss. The panels in Phoenix were getting enough sun to keep the inverter feeding the fridge for extra "Beverages".

Darryl, thank God the beverages stayed cold....but if the solar panels hadn't been enough, couldn't you have just put the beverages in that mound of snow? :lol:

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived