Deadwood, SD.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Guest THE TRAILERKING

We are going to Deadwood on a tour bus group. Going second week of October.

Anyone been there? What are some of the things to see and do? We are going to see Mount Rushmore as part of the tour. At least by sitting as a passenger on the tour bus I'll get to navigate and see what the roads are like for whenever I go with our own coach.

Ask the tour bus driver to go by the buffalo corrals in the state park. The buffalo roundup should be over but that week after is spent sorting and branding the yearling buffalo before they get released again. You will get to see cowboys is action. We volunteered last year for the roundup and it was a great experience working the chute gates.

Greg

Ask the tour bus driver to go by the buffalo corrals in the state park. The buffalo roundup should be over but that week after is spent sorting and branding the yearling buffalo before they get released again. You will get to see cowboys is action. We volunteered last year for the roundup and it was a great experience working the chute gates.

Greg

I was a volunteer this year and last year at Custer State Park. The buffalo roundup is the last Fri in Sept, 09/25 this year. Unlike years past the buffalo sort is not the week after the roundup. It is being delayed until 10/26 this year.

I was trying to keep it tasteful.

You failed that goal with your first post.

But really, if you can handle the profanity, it is the most historically accurate western available. I read an article that the reason for the current scatological based profanity instead of the blasphemous profanity used during that period was to give the dialogue current shock value. You have to admit, seeing Calamity Jane talking like Yosemite Sam would have just made people giggle.

My mother loves westerns, but the Sergio Leoni spaghetti westerns were too much for her. No way I would suggest Deadwood to her or anyone of the same mindset.

You should watch at least the first season of Deadwood before your visit. Really gives you a historic perspective. A few miles up the road in Lead is a self guided tour of the gold mine that funded the Hearst dynasty.

If you can visit Lead, be sure to see the open pit gold mine. Amazing!

Take the time to visit the Adams House Museum and the 1881 Courthouse Museum (our favorite). Extremely well displayed and a docent that is really knowledgeable.

We actually participated in the Billy the Kid trial and shooting at the saloon.

Really a fun time. It CAN be a tourist trap with all the "hokey" stores, but is a really cool place.

Deadwood, 1876, lawless territory.... That said, it was thought to be a necessity to speak using vulgarity and violence to "puff one's self up" to make you appear to be tough. Without any law to protect you, one had to try to make yourself look like you were able to protect yourself. AprilWhine was correct, from what I have found researching some of the history, the Deadwood series is one of the most accurate "non-Disneyfied" portrayals of days from the past.

Back several years ago, after having watched the Deadwood series on HBO that you all have referenced, JoAnn and I decided to go see what all the fuss was about. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, since we did spend a few hours in Deadwood. But we spent most of the rest of the 5 days we were in the area seeing Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Boot Hill Cemetery where Calamity Jane and Wild Bill were buried, as well as a drive through wildlife park, Lead and several other sights in the area.

There definitely is lots to see and enjoy, just the same as so many other places in the great US of A. It's all about your attitude and how you approach your outlook for travel. If you read into it thinking you will enjoy yourself and seek out things of interest, you WILL have fun.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Just got back tonight and was a fun trip with NICE WEATHER. Went to Rushmore, Hill City, Adams Museum and a lot of other things throughout the town,

Archived