El Paso bypass route?

canyonier

In mid-October we will be traveling with our 30' fifth-wheel from Houston to San Diego. Anymore I dread driving in congestion. Last time I was thru El Paso (probably 20 years ago) I hated driving I-10 thru the downtown area. I swore I wouldn't go there again. However, I now see on the map that there is state highway 375 (a bypass route) that goes north of downtown El Paso.

Is that route relatively "non-congested"? Is that a good way to avoid the downtown I-10 congestion?

Or perhaps you have a better suggestion?

Also, any suggested route other than I-10/I-8 to get from Houston to San Diego; say Hobbs to Alamogordo to Las Cruces? I'm planning on about a week to go from Houston to SD. I normally avoid the interstate highways and may do so for at least part of this trip as well.

Why I'm at it, I might as well ask a few more questions:

What about the LBJ ranch area? Anything interesting to see in that area?

Has anyone been to the country music museum in Brady, Tex? Worth a visit?

What about Luckenbach, Tex.; how to get there?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Glenn

Plan a stay in Fredericksburg, TX and you can easily do Luckenbach from there along with a tour of LBJs digs. Fredericksburg is a neat little town.

You could also take Hwy 54 north out of Van Horn, TX to 62/180 and make a visit at Guadaloupe Nat'l Park - dry camping but a pretty spot. Then 62/180 west to Hwy 375 which will take you north of El Paso. You'll have a pretty decent climb and then descent on 375 - not long and again, very pretty.

There are a lot of RV parks in Deming, NM if you need a place to stop at that time. Also quite a few in Benson, AZ about 40 miles east of Tucson. Both are along I-10. At Benson is Kartchner Caverns State Park with a lovely campground and great tour of the living, still-growing caverns - gave tours there. Escapees also has a very nice park in Benson. You could stay one week with full hookups for a special non-member rate of $50!

If I were you I'd allow more than a week for the drive to San Diego. Have a good trip!

We used 375 a couple times but it is long and steep going over the mountain so it may not be your cup of tea. Once past that it will be pretty calm until you turn south to get back to I-10.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.8186326,-106.4232294,25350m/data=!3m1!1e3

If hills aren't something you want to do just hit I-10 at a slow time of the day or even in the evening.

------------

We like Columbus, tiny town with a lot of history, stay at Pancho Villa State Park at the corner of NM 9 and 11.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32.2637566,-107.7584475/31.8825563,-106.5856807/@31.9428747,-107.1955263,118985m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-107.6973238!2d32.0267751!3s0x86debd13c3d013a5:0xbd29136f766b8035!3m4!1m2!1d-106.6058941!2d31.8794817!3s0x86ddf94a0f86607b:0x4911c6ef4196e3b8!1m0!3e0

Getting back onto I-10 isn't hard on the east end of that trip but a GPS would make sure you didn't miss any turns.

-----------------------

There is an Escapees park in Deming along with several great eating spots if you decide to go that direction. Several others might be along your route and visiting them is always fun.

Glenn,

A couple of year back we were doing the same as you. I was dreading the El Paso traffic and looked at using the bypass. I had read that it was somewhat steep and so decided to brave the downtown route. El Paso has come a long way in dealing with the I-10 traffic situation. They monitor very closely and try to move the traffic along quickly. I loved the large easy to see routing signs. I just picked a lane that they indicated and everything went very well. Ended up going through at about 3pm which was not the brightest thing I've done but like I said it was relatively easy.

Stan we loved the Columbus area. We stayed just short of a week at Pancho Villa SP. We also visited Rock Hound and City of Boulders SPs. All the parks were great. I wanted to go directly east from Columbus and hit El Paso but chickened out because I could not get any good info about how to connect back up to the 10. We also visited the SKP park in Demming. Very nice people. We did not stay there just stopped for a chat.

Glenn you've gotten a lot of great info from everyone. Have a great trip. Dennis

If you want to bypass I-10 traffic in San Antonio, you can pick up Loop 1604 E of town and get back on I-10 N of town. There is some construction on the first 3-4 miles going N from I-10, but after that it is limited access to I-10. There can be congestion before 10am and after 3pm.

You can also pick up Loop 410 E of town and take it to I-10.

Do you have a smart phone with Google Maps? If so use it to show congestion and that the route that is clearest. Any of the above routes can have congestion at almost anytime of day.

To totally bypass San Antonio you can pick up SR-46 in Seguin which will take you through New Braunfels. However this is mostly 2 lane with some hills and curves. It will be slower than just going through SA on I-10 or Loop 410.

If you want to bypass I-10 traffic in San Antonio, you can pick up Loop 1604 E of town and get back on I-10 N of town. There is some construction on the first 3-4 miles going N from I-10, but after that it is limited access to I-10. There can be congestion before 10am and after 3pm.

You can also pick up Loop 410 E of town and take it to I-10.

Do you have a smart phone with Google Maps? If so use it to show congestion and that the route that is clearest. Any of the above routes can have congestion at almost anytime of day.

To totally bypass San Antonio you can pick up SR-46 in Seguin which will take you through New Braunfels. However this is mostly 2 lane with some hills and curves. It will be slower than just going through SA on I-10 or Loop 410.

46 eastbound has a low clearance, so only take it westbound. (That was true last time we drove it).

We use Waze instead of Google Maps in traffic. Waze is owned by Google. Give it a try.

46 eastbound has a low clearance, so only take it westbound. (That was true last time we drove it).

We use Waze instead of Google Maps in traffic. Waze is owned by Google. Give it a try.

Where along SR-46 is the low clearance. I haven't driven 46 in several years. We do living in San Antonio, and actually have little reason to travel 46. The reason I mentioned the route, is it does get you off of the expressway traffic in SA. When we drive around town we use Google Maps and try to take a route with the least congestion.

I downloaded WAZE to my smart phone and see there are a number of features which are interesting. However what I really like about Google Maps, for driving, is the red, yellow or green colors to most all of the highways, streets and expressways (and toll roads) showing just how congested they are. GM even shows congestion in yellow or red when it is only for a 1/2 mile or so. In the last 10 months of using GM I have seen very few times the colors have lied to me. I don't know where the data comes from, but the congestion/non-congestion seems to be almost real-time. It is much more current than the overhead congestion warning signs in the SA area.

We just finished a 5 months of travels from SA-Dallas-Portand, OR and back using GM to pinpoint congestion.

I do have to add though, a couple of times we were in very heavy traffic with everyone going 60-65mph and I was busy trying to keep up with the traffic. No congestion noted in GM, but there was no congestion in these stretches, therefore no congestion warning needed. It was just lots of traffic speeding along the interstate.

Over the last 10 years the 4-5 times we have gone though El Paso, midday, on I-10, it has been free flowing at 45-60mph, but lots of traffic. Not fun, but not slow either.

If you want to use the bypass but don't want to make the steep climb over the pass, there is another route. We have been using it for the past few years because we too hate the congestion, narrow lanes, sharp turns, and high volume of on and off ramp traffic in El Paso. It is also far from scenic.

From the east, take the 375 bypass all the way around town until US54 which is just before you begin the climb up the mountain. Exit and turn right on the US54 frontage road. (We usually stop and eat or shop at one of the fast food restaurants or Wal-Mart. Plenty of parking there or in the Lowes parking lot on the right.) Do not take the on-ramp to US54, but stay on the US54 frontage road. It is called Gateway Blvd at that point. Continue about one mile to the first intersection at Kentworthy/3255, (not the turn-arounds you will pass) and turn left. There is a traffic light and a left turn lane. Stay on 3255 for approximately 6 miles. The highway changes names to 213 as you cross into NM. There is a traffic circle at the intersection. Turn left and follow 404 until it intersects with I-10 in about 7-8 miles. The climb and descent are very gentle, and there is usually very little traffic.

Other than the traffic you will encounter on the 375 loop, which is not bad at all, and the congestion at 375/54 where you get off, it is a breeze. It may be a little shorter as well, and there is no steep grade to climb and descend.

Go to Dog Canyone Campground if you visit Guadlupe National Park. The below is from the National Park site.

"..Dog Canyon is in a secluded, forested canyon on the north side of the park. Due to a slightly higher elevation, and protected location beneath steep cliff walls, it remains cooler than Pine Springs campground in the summer, and sheltered from strong gusty winds in winter and spring. The campground has 9 tent sites and 4 RV sites (no hookups, no dump station). Restrooms have sinks and flush toilets, but no showers..."

We have stayed there twice on the way back from Yucatan and loved it. It is perhaps 100 miles around from the HQ of the National Park. We were able to call the Ranger there and he basically said "please come, its really lonely over here." We think the road is paved although narrow and windy - but no traffic.

Ree dand Elaine

Archived