Ruby is Home

Jim & Wilma

Good question Carl. I guess the engineers among us will have to answer that one.

But I'm thinking the angle already built into the ramp causes enough force that adding to it may not make a difference.

Although the arch design is and has been one of the strongest in history, we don't have anything that locks in the bottom of the ramp from sliding out. So maybe the arch theory goes out the door.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Very nice!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Roger,

I also am planning on trying the angle iron since you suggested to me a while back. Just wondering though does that put an extra stress on the hinges that could cause them to fail? When the hinge angle flattens without the angle iron there is a large surface area contacting a large surface area. Just curious.

I will try to explain, it is like dropping a 1/8" thick pce of flat bar in the hinge. You lift up the hinge part and drop it in. The other face then sits on top of the ramp. Send me an e-mail and I'll send a pic or 2. 1/8" raises the ramp 1.25" believe it or not. The reason I said 3 is something I learned a while back. One is zero, two is one and three is two. If you get my drift. Painting a bright color is so it can be easily seen if (when) you drop it.

I don't think there is xtra stress as the weight transfer goes straight thru the flat side of the bar. I put the horizontal facing downhill when unloading and uphill when loading.

Jim & co.

I have 2 gimped wrists and don't have the flexion or extension, about 22 degrees up and down so my ramps at 55# are awkward enough. Yours will be heavier. I use Velcro to keep them from flying apart when handling and unfold them further than 12' from the truck in case they get away from me an smash into the truck. Funny to think of but I'd rather not wind up on UTubes epic fails.

Gotta run and take mom out for a drive. Will check later.

I will try to explain, it is like dropping a 1/8" thick pce of flat bar in the hinge. You lift up the hinge part and drop it in. The other face then sits on top of the ramp. Send me an e-mail and I'll send a pic or 2. 1/8" raises the ramp 1.25" believe it or not. The reason I said 3 is something I learned a while back. One is zero, two is one and three is two. If you get my drift. Painting a bright color is so it can be easily seen if (when) you drop it.

I don't think there is xtra stress as the weight transfer goes straight thru the flat side of the bar. I put the horizontal facing downhill when unloading and uphill when loading.

Jim & co.

I have 2 gimped wrists and don't have the flexion or extension, about 22 degrees up and down so my ramps at 55# are awkward enough. Yours will be heavier. I use Velcro to keep them from flying apart when handling and unfold them further than 12' from the truck in case they get away from me an smash into the truck. Funny to think of but I'd rather not wind up on UTubes epic fails.

Gotta run and take mom out for a drive. Will check later.

Roger,

You sent me pics couple of months ago. I appreciate it. I understand the concept, just curious if it added extra stress to hinge. No big deal. Thanks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I would think that with everything else being equal, the stress on hindge would maximize as it was opened closest to 180 degrees. As long as the shim was uniform across the hinge area, it would not add stress and may be slightly less. My guess.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I would think that with everything else being equal, the stress on hindge would maximize as it was opened closest to 180 degrees. As long as the shim was uniform across the hinge area, it would not add stress and may be slightly less. My guess.

I agree Jim and here's my logic.

Stress on the hinge connection lessens as the hinge angle decreases from 180 degrees or as the two hinged ramp pieces close together. Taken to the extreme, think of the hinge fully closed and the ramps are standing straight up. If you could somehow put the full 2000 lb load on two vertical ramps, you'd have zero moment about the hinge and consequently zero force acting upon it. As the hinge opens, the moment increases until it maxes out at 180 degrees. I'm too many years away from my Statics class and will rely on someone better versed to put this to formula. Henry you there?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim, I went through the same thought process you describe as I came to my conclusion. How could two Jims not be right?

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I see what you are saying and agree. Sorry to hijack. Now back to the Jim & Wilma show.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My ramps are 12" wide, yours are 19" so whatever weight you have is dispersed over a greater length of hinge so lbs per sq inch are a lot less.

58 lbs, that is close to my 12" ramps are. I'd be much happier with a wider ramp but they weren't available when my truck was built. There is a way to store them but it's a lot of work.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Jim, I went through the same thought process you describe as I came to my conclusion. How could two Jims not be right?

Two Jim's don't make a right. Hahaha

Howdy Jim,

Just now read this thread, beautiful truck for sure, hope you and Wilma enjoy many years and miles with it.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived