Ruby is Home

Jim & Wilma

Our middle son Derek and I drove the smart from central Florida to Kilgore this past weekend, loaded her up on Ruby and brought both back home. Just a bit of difference between the two rides! Not too sure I want to do another 1100 mile trip in the smart but the return trip was a pleasure, especially in comparison.
Bed looks great. It has four large side boxes, three top boxes, a 2' deep DROM, a 60 gallon transfer tank, an ET hitch and what I'll readily admit are "sissy" ramps at 19" width. We singled at 235" and allowed 130" between DROM face and pin to accommodate future 2016+ smart. Had small issue clearing the deck without rubbing. Ground a bit of material from the ramps and that should do it.
We couldn't be more pleased with Herrin's work. Also grateful for all the advice we got from folks here on the forum.
Wilma and I hitch up for Ruby's first fifth wheel trip next week to the Rally and the LGT stays home this time.

Ruby%20with%20ramps.jpg?t=1443487886Ruby%20with%20smart.jpg?t=1443488143

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

That's just terrific, Jim. Can't wait to see it.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Nice truck there. Been to that parking lot a couple times.

Oh, and your a better man then me. An hour and half and I'm out of the smart for a good hour break. No way I could do 1100 miles and on I 10 through Louisiana and I 49. You da man

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

That looks great Jim. Nice truck.

Be picky about where you load and unload. Don't be bashful about airing down your suspension, and if needed a couple of 2 x 6s under the ramps will give you plenty to clear the break over. See you in a couple of weeks.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

That looks great Jim. Nice truck.

Be picky about where you load and unload. Don't be bashful about airing down your suspension, and if needed a couple of 2 x 6s under the ramps will give you plenty to clear the break over. See you in a couple of weeks.

Rocky

You might notice that the pic with the smart loaded we're sitting low and that helped. You got a couple good points; we were on a slight incline in the opposite direction and I was thinking the same thing about bringing some boards along as insurance.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I had that problem with the underbelly catching a hex bolt and ripping off plastic underbody parts. If you put a pce of 1.25x1.25 by 12" long by 1/8' thick angle iron in the hinge it will reduce the breakover angle.

That 1/8" spacer will raise things up by 1.25 inches, should be enough to eliminate your problem. I think I sent this info a few months ago.

Drop it in when loading and unloading and store in one of the compartments when not in use.

I had that problem with the underbelly catching a hex bolt and ripping off plastic underbody parts. If you put a pce of 1.25x1.25 by 12" long by 1/8' thick angle iron in the hinge it will reduce the breakover angle.

That 1/8" spacer will raise things up by 1.25 inches, should be enough to eliminate your problem. I think I sent this info a few months ago.

Drop it in when loading and unloading and store in one of the compartments when not in use.

Roger

I didn't forget your advice and already have pieces cut and will be trying out this weekend. Old bed frames come in handy!

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Roger

I didn't forget your advice and already have pieces cut and will be trying out this weekend. Old bed frames come in handy!

Make 3 and paint them a bright color. Just in case you misplace one. Regardless, that is a very nice truck.

Did he beef up the door latches so the doors don't pop open?

Did he put Teflon or similar product in ramp storage area?

How long and how heavy are the ramps? Wt capacity? Obviously angle iron will be ramp width. You will be surprised when you measure hinge ht from ground with and without hinge spacer.

That HDT is a knock-out!

The VNL 730 model is the perfect choice in my view.

The paint color will match beautifully with your 5th wheel.

Please post a pic of the complete set-up when you get a chance.

Well Done!

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Jim, you have come a long way in less than a year. I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys, and your truck, in a couple of weeks.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Make 3 and paint them a bright color. Just in case you misplace one. Regardless, that is a very nice truck.

Did he beef up the door latches so the doors don't pop open?

Did he put Teflon or similar product in ramp storage area?

How long and how heavy are the ramps? Wt capacity? Obviously angle iron will be ramp width. You will be surprised when you measure hinge ht from ground with and without hinge spacer.

Roger,

Good idea on painting. The ramps are Big Boy II from Discount Ramps that they market for smart loading. I've got the HDPE sheet for the ramps and will probably beef up the latches with some scrap I have using my old Lincoln stick welder to attach a stiffener. Probably similar to what you had done.

That HDT is a knock-out!

The VNL 730 model is the perfect choice in my view.

The paint color will match beautifully with your 5th wheel.

Please post a pic of the complete set-up when you get a chance.

Well Done!

Rick

Thanks Rick. In the spirit of full disclosure - you were the one that found the 730 for us so you might be just a bit biased! Thanks again for helping us with this and we agree the 730 was a great choice.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim-

That is very nice. I saw Ruby before the bed was back on and she looks real nice cleaned up in your pictures. Glad your trip went well. My 800 mile trip from SC wasn't bad but I am glad it was not 1100!

See you at the Rally.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Nice job Jim! Looks great Well worth the wait and the trip to Sudbury!

Enjoy!

I like the idea of bed frame steel in the big boy ramps my next task to do ?

We sold the 05 Deisel Smart and pick up a 2011 in Toronto in Oct. don't want to damage the nice under belly own ?

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Roger,

I also am planning on trying the angle iron since you suggested to me a while back. Just wondering though does that put an extra stress on the hinges that could cause them to fail? When the hinge angle flattens without the angle iron there is a large surface area contacting a large surface area. Just curious.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived