Pin box contact with bed

whatsnext

We just picked up our DRV fifth wheel and during the trip back we noticed that the hitch bracket was making contact with the dove tail on our bed. It's a Herrin bed with a Mor-Ryde rubber pin box on the trailer. It occurred during a turn into a campground (not a jack knife, just an easy 30 deg turn)

Has any one had this occur?

What did you do to fix it?

post-29289-0-02945300-1443468573_thumb.jpg

post-29289-0-01887100-1443473479_thumb.jpg

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Ouch! That's not good. Can you lower your pin box on the trailer, and still keep your trailer somewhat level?

You said it was the bracket for the hitch. Was it the bracket for the pin box?

Can you post a few more pics?

What type of hitch do you have on the truck?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Not exactly sure which piece I'm seeing in that photo, but it looks like you need to raise the whole hitch assembly up higher, so that clears the dove tail. Lowering the pin box might help depending on which set of holes its in now. But you can put the hitch at any level you need and then still have some adjustment in the pin box. Looks to me that your hitch was just mounted too low and/or too far forward, but that photo leaves a lot to imagine.

Jim

I appears that the suggestions of raising the hitch on the truck, lowering the pin box on the trailer, moving the hitch rearward on the truck, or some combination of the 3 should help. You could cut some off of the bottom of the trailer pin brackets if you can verify that it would not weaken something by doing so. It appears that you have very little clearance and I suspect that some of the out of level turns you encounter may cause damage to the bed and/or pin box mount. Clearances change drastically with some turns you may have to make. I am glad you discovered the interference before it did considerable damage. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Not exactly sure which piece I'm seeing in that photo, but it looks like you need to raise the whole hitch assembly up higher, so that clears the dove tail. Lowering the pin box might help depending on which set of holes its in now. But you can put the hitch at any level you need and then still have some adjustment in the pin box. Looks to me that your hitch was just mounted too low and/or too far forward, but that photo leaves a lot to imagine.

Here's a better look.

post-29289-0-49547700-1443473259_thumb.jpg

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Ouch! That's not good. Can you lower your pin box on the trailer, and still keep your trailer somewhat level?

You said it was the bracket for the hitch. Was it the bracket for the pin box?

Can you post a few more pics?

What type of hitch do you have on the truck?

Posted another pic.

Sorry it is the bracket for the PIN BOX (my mistake).

The hitch is a TrailerSaver, Mor-ryde pin box.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Can you help us out with some measurements? With the trailer leveled and disconnected from the truck what it is the height of your hitch pin? Wirh the trailer disconnected and the hitch fully deflated what is your measurement to the top of the hitch plate? When everything is hooked up and hitch is inflated correctly what is your measurement to hop of hitch plate.

Can you help us out with some measurements? With the trailer leveled and disconnected from the truck what it is the height of your hitch pin? Wirh the trailer disconnected and the hitch fully deflated what is your measurement to the top of the hitch plate? When everything is hooked up and hitch is inflated correctly what is your measurement to hop of hitch plate.

I concur. lower the pinbox and see if it will clear the bed in turn. That will solve the the immediate problem of pulling and not scraping. Next is to check if you are level and if not how much off. Many solutions to that problem not too many palatable.

If you're happy with the trailer attitude and position of the hitch, I would just lop off the part of the pin box that's hanging down and add a reinforcement plate if necessary. Easy enough and no other modifications required.

*Disclaimer - that could affect resale. :D

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Now that we can see your hitch, lowering your pin box is not going to help. I just looked at my hitch and with no air in it, the top of my hitch plate is about 1 inch above deck. Yours looks to be about 2 to 3 inches below the deck. Pretty sure your hitch in the picture doesn't have any air in it either. Even with it aired up, does it come to the deck level?

How about a side shot of your pin box where it bolts to the bracket?

What is the height of the top of the pin in order for your trailer to be level?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Even aired up, I don't think you are going to clear the storage box lids on each side!

Air up your hitch to the line and put a level on top of your hitch plate and measure from the ground up to the bottom of the level. What do you have?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

David,

Did you request some design changes on the deck build? The reason I ask is that looking at Jack's deck and some others including mine which was a different builder. It looks like the hitch plate is sitting very low in relation to the deck height and the center point of the kingpin is at the flat point of the deck and not the taper. If everything is level it would seem like the hitch would have to be moved back and raised up to get the proper clearance. Is your deck height their standard build?

20130501_071234.jpg

IMG_0001%2B4-24-2013%2B2-07-50%2BPM.JPG

Ok, here is what I think, first of all your hitch is deflated, I can tell by the position of the 2 horizontal rails, the fixed one and the one that raises when the bags are aired up. If you look on the outside of the one that goes up and down on the driver's side of the truck there should be a horizontal white line which is the desired " inflate the hitch with the trailer" point. In my case 35>40 psi.

I have the same hitch and same Herrin bed.

Moving on. Your hitch is approximately 3" from the back of the truck deck. Mine is 5/8" so yours could go back another 2 3/8" + - to be in the same relative location as mine, you have just bought some space.....but wait, for additional shipping and handling I can double the offer... couldn't resist.

Both on your truck and mine there is that vertical vane or fin on either side of the license plate area. That is a 4" pce of flat bar on edge. I figure you could have a chunk of 4" angle iron welded to the back of the truck, giving you another 4" of horizontal surface to move the hitch rearward.

If your hitch has the same bolt pattern as mine they are 4.5" on center for the first 5 from the front of the hitch. the last hole is 5 or something like that. You could move the hitch back at least 4.5 " with only having to drill one pair of holes at the back or most rearward.

You actually could move your hitch back close to 7" if the hitch was to be flush with the angle iron.

The other thing to be aware of is the trailer pin box coming into contact with the storage boxes on the top of the deck.. backing up, with the trailer turning and falling away at the rear would maybe cause the underside of the pinbox to contact the box lid. It did in my case. Minor fibreglass repair.

I'd also as Herrin for ideas and maybe Moreryde to see what they have to say. They may sign off on a hitch modification.

7" should do the job.

Roger

Moving the pin box or hitch up and down will not accomplish anything if you are level. That pin box is shorter than most. My trailer moved up 3 inches when it was installed. Your best option is to move the hitch back. That will give you more clearance. You will have to come back quite a bit to clear in a 90 degree turn. If you know you will never lower your pin box, you can cut those ears off to increase your clearance.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

David,

I checked my ET hitch and the plate is just about level with the deck and I spec'd it for a 47" pin plate. As you know, our beds are sisters and Larry told me they are just about identical. Larry knows his design and agree I'd discuss these ideas with him before doing anything. He might not know the MOR/ryde pin box which I think has some "reach" to it where some others are more vertical in design. If you or someone on the forum have a MOR/ryde pin box drawing with dimensions, that could be very helpful.

Good luck!

Jim

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

When we install rear fenders on a class 8 we set them no higher than the center of the riser pins on the 5th wheel or they will catch the trailer if it leans in relation to the tractor.

Why are the 5th wheels ("hitches") buried so deep in the deck on RV pullers?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks Everyone.

We took some measurements tonight but I can't get the pin box dimensions until this weekend (I am still working and the trailer is about 45 minutes away).

It does look like my hitch is lower than most and more forward. I will check the level of the trailer and see if the hitch can be raised.

The hitch was aired properly (to the white level line) which is about 35 - 40 psi on my hitch. It may be possible to move it back a little which will add clearance.

Larry called tonight and we'll get our heads together tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions. It may be a combination of the above ideas to get it right and maintain a level trailer attitude.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I had similar problem with my previous Landmark (Heartland) with a Trail-Air hitch. First turn I make took the lid of one of the side storage compartments.

I raised the pin box to it's highest possible level and raised the hitch 5" by building a box under the hitch. No problem after that.

That was with an International 4400 with a Highway Products bed.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived