Omni-Lynx Mi-Fi Questions

bobsea43

I ordered and received the JetPack 6620L from the Omin-lynx folks and I understood at the time it might not work where we are right now (on a mountain top in Pisgah NF, sw of Asheville NC). However, we finish our volunteer gig in 5 more weeks and we can use it then.

However, there are 3 other volunteers here that have VZ Jetpacks and one of them gets a good consistent 3G signal all the time! His is a 550 something I believe and the other two have different models, none have the 6620L. So that tells me there is a good 3G signal here but we do not get it on either phone (an Android and i-phone) nor does any of the other volunteers. We get 1xRTT and our phones say "Extended Network" where normally they say Verizon!

So this AM I am on the admin of the Jetpack and under diagnostics it lists the possible networks; under 4G LTE says not avail, same for GSM/UMTS/HSPA Network. However, it then lists 3G Network and displays the following;

3G Network (eHRPD/EVDO/1XRTT)
Available
Network operator:
Extended Network
RSSI (1x):
-84 dBm
RSSI (EVDO):
Technology:
CDMA 1XRTT
Ec/Io:
-7 dB
SID:
Roaming:
None
Field Test
Now the 550 the other volunteer has lets him select EVDO(RevA) and he tells me that is how he gets 3G. When he is off the mountain he deselects EVDO (RevA) and get 4G LTE!
For out limited time remaining here I don't need to get added equipment, we can survive on the wi-fi in the volunteer village, and using our Jetpack when we go down to the bottom where there is good 4GLTE service.
But, if there is a setting I can change that would lock in on the 3G that is obviously here it would be nice. I figure I will call Verizon but will be smarter when I do from the info I will receive from all the experts on this forum!!
I did run the Field Test and got a page of tech data that does not mean much to me but I have attached for anybody to review in case it helps.
Thanx for any info you share!

on edit; the file was too big to attach. I will see if I can reduce it or cut and past to another post.

on edit again: I have saved the field test results as a text file so I think it will attach now.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

One of our disappointments with the 6620 is that it does not have a setting to lock in 3G/CDMA (prior models did). It does however pick it up.. and we have seen it on ours in some locations. Especially when it is a native Verizon network. Looks like you're actually in a Verizon roaming area, so maybe that have something to do with what you are experiencing with your devices.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Thanx for your input and I agree we are in a roaming status even though there is a Verison tower about 5 mi from us on Mt Pisgah. However, in the mountains vertical distance can mean as much or more then horizontal distance!

I did read your review of the 6620L.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

Latest News Flash

The wireless provider previously servicing the OmniLynx Program has recently expressed an inability or unwillingness to continue supporting the program.
As a result, and regrettably, we will be unable to accommodate orders at this time.
We are exploring alternatives for the continuation of the OmniLynx Program.
At this time existing customers will not be affected by this change in supply.

Thank you for your patience, support, and understanding in this matter.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Latest News Flash

The wireless provider previously servicing the OmniLynx Program has recently expressed an inability or unwillingness to continue supporting the program.

As a result, and regrettably, we will be unable to accommodate orders at this time.

We are exploring alternatives for the continuation of the OmniLynx Program.

At this time existing customers will not be affected by this change in supply.

Thank you for your patience, support, and understanding in this matter.

My oh my! This does not bode well! At this point I don't know if my being one of the relatively early subscribers is a good thing or not! Sure hope they continue with those of us already in the system. I'm really enjoying the "unlimited" feature. :) As I said in an earlier post...... Good luck to us all! Will be watching closely. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Archived