Bad diesel fuel. Tips on changing fuel filters

Smitty77_7

We got what we think is a slight bit of algae growing in out tank. The clear bowls on the both the fuel filter and HydroHot fuel filter, have a darker look then I've ever seen before. Usually a amber/light yellow color. I drained a bit out of the engine fuel filter bowl, and it seemed to have a light greenish tint to it. No specks or polliwog looking black floaters.

I think I did this to myself. As I did not follow my norm, of topping off the tank before going into a park for a period of time. It's been very dry humidity here, so I thought I would be OK. Stopped for 8 days outside of Cody with about a 3/4 tank. Then drove to Gros Ventre where I parked it with just over 1/2 tank. I suspect the cold nights, and warmer day cycles, may have caused condensation in the tank. I do use Optilube, running Summer Blend, and also Biobor JF, but may have been a bit too light on the amount I have been adding.

Found what I think is the start of light algae, when the HydroHot stopped firing up. Suspect that smaller filter is clogged up.

Yesterday I spiked the about 65 gallons I have in the tank with 3 OZ of Biobor, and 32 OZ of Diesel Kleen. I ran the generator long enough to get some of the fuel with this stuff into it. And then the same with the Cummins ISL.

Today I want to try driving 12 miles into Jackson, and topping off the 130+ gallons tank, to help dilute things. (Hoping the main fuel filters don't clog up on this short of drive.) Then when I get back, I think I will change out the two fuel filters.

I've never done this before, so looking for tips on how to do so. Good access in the back passenger side basement. And they have what looks to be a cut off switch for fuel. Assume I take off the filters, unscrew the clear bowl, add it to the new filter, run some oil over the gasket, and then screw it back on. Same for the second filter, minus the bowl change. How tight do you turn these. Get them snug, then 1/4 or 1/2 turn more? Or other?

Appreciate any tips!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Did some more searches with different combinations of words, and found some good info. Of course, one was on RVNETWORK too:)!

Found lots of good info, but did not see how much more to tighten the filters once they're snugged on my hand. Will ask on the Country Coach boards, as it is a CC.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Get a 1 gallon fuel can and buy about 1/2 gal of good diesel to fill,you're filters with. When you start it it will run shortly and then have a short stumble. That is normal after changing filters. Carry spare fuel filters with you. Make sure they are the fleet pride brand as the Cummings doesn't like other brands.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Thanks Rondo. Funny how of he 5-7 youtube's I've seen, and maybe 12 write up's of forums, I see about a 50/50 on pre-filling the filters, using the outside holes and if possible plugging the middle main hole/out for the fuel.

Seems many with the electronic vs earlier full mechanical engines, say to let the primer pump do it's thing for 3-5 cycles, then start the engine. Sometimes having to repeat that one time.

Anyways, not sure if I have an agile problem or not. After letting the stuff I put in yesterday sit overnight. I ran the generator without any problem at all for over 90 minutes. Figured that smaller fuel filter would clog quicker if I was going to have a problem.

So for now, I'm going to go ahead and top off the tank, add the right amount to keep 'spiking' the tank at the full level. And see how things go:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Have you filled up lately with a higher than normal ratio of ""Bio-diesel"? Could be the green tinge you are seeing is the Bio sneaking through! Just a thought. Could be why your filters are looking different. The Bio is cleaning out your fuel system more than you are accustomed to.

MrSeas - We were in Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota - and two of our last four fill ups, were Bio-diesel. Never thought about that, and did not know it could act like a tank enema:)!

It was a non event going into Jackson and topping off the fuel tank, with non Bio-Diesel, third fill up in a roll with it - so should be mostly out of the tank.

Still trying to determine if the HydroHot is having a consistent problem or not. It fired up and ran well, cycling on and off, two or three times. Smoked quite a bit at start up and for a minutes afterwards, from what was accumulated in the chamber from the last try the afternoon before. So good chance I have an igniter problem.

We're here for few more days, then short hop into the Yellowstone for another 4 days. Going to wait and see how everything goes. Have extra filters, and will keep up a high amount of Biobor and Power Service Bio Kleen for the next 2-3 fill ups.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

The last fuel filter change I did on my 6'4l Ford it took me 1/2 a day to get all the air out of the lines so it would start - and that was with letting the electric fuel pump go through 5 cycles before trying to start it, by the book. It was a bugger bear. I had to bleed the air out of the top most banjo fitting like bleeding brakes.The next time I'll let the shop do it and gladly pay them for the hour and a half labor they charge. The only problem is they charge me three times as much for the filters as the parts house. I wonder if they would do it for the same labor if I brought in the filters? Probably not.

Chip

I would change the filters, both the genny and main engine at first convenience. As you said, different engines different methods as to prefill the filter or not. If it's a canister spin on style I always do prefill. If it's a cartridge replacement there should be an electric or gear driven pump to prime the bowl and fill the lines to the injection pump.

Carry a spare with you for the "just in case".

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I wonder if they would do it for the same labor if I brought in the filters? Probably not, Chip

I have taken parts to the dealer to be installed on my vehicle and just paid the hourly rate with good success. The dealer will not warranty the parts, but for the savings it can be well worth it and has never been a issue. Just contact the dealer ahead of your visit to make sure they agree and if not move on to the next shop.

Greg

Archived