Drive in around or near L.A. Ca

ChuckD

I live in Beautiful Southern Oregon and we are heading for Mesa with a stop in Indio, Ca.for a square dance festival. This will take place around the second week of November. Now according to the map it looks like Rt 210 should be far enough from L.A. so we should have little or no problems with the traffic. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Or am I just dreaming? TIA

At Bakersfield take HWY 58 to HWY 40 and on to Kingman which bypasses LA totally, shortly after Bakersfield traffic thins out to zilch nada a dream come true !

X2

The LA madness starts at about 60 to 70 miles away from downtown. I prefer a 100 mile distance to avoid the crazies in that area.

We were on the 210 in our car last week from the San Fernando Valley to Redlands. It was mid morning and traffic was still heavy. I'm firmly in the 58 to Barstow camp when driving or pulling an RV. Much, much less hassle and agrivation, plus you don't have to make the climb up and down the Grapevine. The climb to Tehachapi is much easier IMO.

The 58 to Barstow is the best bet to avoid " city traffic". Turn south on the 15 to the eastbound 210 all the way to the eastbound 10 and into Indio. You will have to come down the Cajon Pass on the 15 but it's not that bad. Be advised that the 15 is under renovation from the top of the summit all the way down to the 215 junction. Also keep in mind that if you do come west on the 10 from Blythe there is a bit of a bottleneck outside Desert Center where a bridge was washed out and is under repair. Traffic narrows to one lane from two in each direction.

At Bakersfield take HWY 58 to HWY 40 and on to Kingman which bypasses LA totally, shortly after Bakersfield traffic thins out to zilch nada a dream come true !

I'd go this way, too.

There are several routes south from I-40:

1. US-95 on the California side. This route is actually quicker than trying to go down AZ-95 because you have no towns to go through until you reach Blythe. Most of its length has been repaved, so it's a good two-lane road.

2. AZ-95 on the Arizona side. You'll have Lake Havasu City and Parker to go through. Nice if you need to stop and do some shopping along the way or want to stop and see the London Bridge.

3. US-93 which heads south from I-40 approximately 20 miles east of Kingman. This will take you to Wickenburg and on to US-60. Rather than following US-60 all the way into Phoenix, you could head east on AZ-74 which will take you to I-17.

Why is everyone wanting to take them many miles out of the way to get to their first stop in Indio?

Because apparently everyone is afraid of the Grapevine - even though the Siskiyous are much worse and they will have already done that! And I-210 (rt 210) still has traffic. Can't be any worse than what we experienced coming from Sonoma Valley using I-580 to I-880 on a Sunday morning - literally a standstill at some points. Anytime you are near a major city, it is going to be slower, just stay out of the far right lane, keep watching ahead and take your time.

BTW - the I-10 highway is fully reopened coming across the desert.

Barb

If ChuckD is headed for Indio for the dance thing then I agree with Bill Joyce. Take 58 out of Bakersfield to Barstow. At Barstow take the route south to Yucca Valley. Then head south onto I-10 which will be just West of Indio. And it is good to hear the bridge has been fixed! Have fun. Dennis

If ChuckD is headed for Indio for the dance thing then I agree with Bill Joyce. Take 58 out of Bakersfield to Barstow. At Barstow take the route south to Yucca Valley. Then head south onto I-10 which will be just West of Indio. And it is good to hear the bridge has been fixed! Have fun. Dennis

I totally agree. My original post I didn,t know for sure where Indio was, Now I do and I do HATE CA city traffic with a passion !!! Wasn,t for my kids I wouldnt go back but maybe I can talk them into heading South ? :huh:

We took a three day seminar on RV'ing before we decided to try traveling this way. One of the classes had a questionnaire. One questions was "would you drive 100 miles out of your way to avoid LA traffic?" Elaine and I both answered "Yes", apparently that was the wrong answer since the speaker felt that driving through LA traffic should be considered an enjoyable experience. We definitely would not care for it but we have driven through Puebla Mexico during rush hour and things could not be much worse than that.

Reed and Elaine

Reed and Elaine --- Your answer about driving in L.A. traffic was correct! We have driven through the L.A. area more than once pulling the rig. We do this only as a last resort and I would not do it again. Yes. Driving in L.A. traffic can be done but WHY! :D We now take any route that avoids any of the metro areas in SO. CAL. About 6 months ago we drove through the Riverside area. Huge mistake! Very heavy traffic AND major construction which simply compounded the drive! I suppose some folks actually enjoy the challenge of city traffic but it is not for us. Happy and safe travels folks. Dennis

I just don't see how people equate driving I-210 (rt 210) from I-5 across the northern area with driving through LA? Heavy traffic at times, but not driving through downtown LA. We've come across from Palm Springs on I-210, to 134 to US 101 all the way to Ventura and then north. Yes, we do try to do it on the weekends, and do take our time, but every big city has traffic problems.

If you spend time going 100 miles around (btw, you can't do that with Seattle, unless you go on the other side of the mountains), you're going to spend a lot of extra time and fuel to get to where you are going. We even drove through a section of San Francisco (19th Avenue from the I-280 to US101), beautiful row houses to see, underneath the Presidio and then over the Golden Gate Bridge - what a sight from the front of a Class A!

Barb

We live for now south of Riverside and travel often to Ventura. There is not a "good" time or "good" route to avoid LA traffic. I have been a contractor for 25 years and most of my work was at times in the LA basin. Sometimes it took 3 hours to get home(70 miles). No incident, just typical rush hour traffic. I'm tired of it and so looking forward to moving into our 5er and heading anywhere else.

As for getting to Indio, the drive from the Grapevine to the 210 then to the 10 puts you mostly east of alot of the heavier traffic. Weekends are better as long as you are earlier in the day. After 4PM, forget about it around the 210. If you can make it to the 10 before noon then you should be OK. As for weekdays, do it in the middle of the day, like 10-2. Lunch will get a little heavy but other than that, its about as good as its going to get. Its a hit and miss. Find an accident, and your are at the mercy of whatever is happening. Of course night time is different although with all our freeway construction, it also is hit and miss. But best time could be the wee hours of the morning.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is So Cal.

I regularly drive from the San Fernando Valley near where I-5 enters it from the north to Indio, and may I suggest another alternative? From the north, the mileage is about the same as going into the L.A. basin and taking I-210 east, time wise it may be a little faster or slower but you miss almost all of the L.A. basin traffic.

First point your web browser to www.sigalert.com for a real time look at what the L.A. freeways are doing. Green is good, yellow is slow, red is stop and go. You can hover on any section of freeway to see it's real time speed, click on a camera for a peek at traffic or click and drag on a blank area to move the map around.

I avoid I-210 if it shows ANY yellow along it's length, since you're not there yet and if it shows yellow it will most likely get worse before you get there. Mid-days (10 AM - 2 PM) or after 7 PM at night are best.

Instead of taking CA 58 over Tehachapi Pass (two lanes in each direction, long and winding up and down until you get to the summit), go ahead and climb the Grapevine and get the climb over in one fell swoop. Grapevine is the same grade (6%) and length (5 miles) as the northern approach to Siskiyou Pass in Oregon. Just stay over to the right with the trucks and you'll be fine.

At the top of the Grapevine take CA 138 east to the CA 14 freeway. 138 starts out as a freeway, but within a mile or so from I-5 it becomes a lightly traveled straight and level two lane road.

At CA 14, turn south. Four exits south is Avenue H and just west of the freeway is the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds. It's a good overnight stop if you don't want to go the full distance to Indio. $20 for full hookups, lots of room in a big parking lot. There are movie theaters, a great Chinese buffet and sushi restaurant, Walmart and several large shopping centers that appear out of nowhere one more exit to the south at Avenue I. Turn west coming off of the freeway (left turn after the offramp loops around) then take another left at the first traffic light (Valley Center Drive, opposite the radio towers). Sakura Buffet's entrance is about 0.4 miles south, across from the car wash just north of Lancaster Blvd - for some reason the back of that shopping center faces the road instead of it's front. Walmart and the rest of the shopping areas begin south of Lancaster Blvd.

When you're ready to continue, take CA 14 south to Avenue S, one exit past the marked 138 East exit which goes through downtown Palmdale. Take Avenue S east until it rejoins 138, then follow 138 east (right).

138 is a lightly traveled road, mostly 4 lane except for where it passes through a couple of small towns with 1-2 stoplights each.

You can stay on 138 all the way to I-15 at Cajon Pass, but the last section has not yet been widened into 4 lanes and has several climbs that can get you stuck behind slow moving trucks. I prefer to leave 138 at Phelan Rd. before the heavy climbs begin and take Phelan Rd. east to I-15. It's mostly flat and open except for one or two traffic lights in Phelan and again when you get close to I-15. Don't try to take a shortcut south at US 395, continue east to I-15.

Then take I-15 south, a gradual climb to the summit, and follow it and I-215 to I-10, then take 10 east to Indio. Again, mid-days or after 7 PM are best.

Check Sigalert.com before heading out and make sure there are no surprises along the way.

I drive back and forth from Palmdale via the CA 138 to the I-15 to the I-210 every workday. I would not suggest you drive this route with a RV! They don't call this "the bloody highway" for kicks! Nice sights along the highway but too many cars with maniacs behind the wheel trying to pass when it is very unsafe! As mentioned this highway is mostly 2 lane with some passing areas 4 lane.

Doesn't that also skip Indio?

Couple of you mentioned the "Grapevine". What is this? Thanks for all the help getting to Mesa.

Bill Joyce, Rt 247 looks good on the map but how is the road?

For a passenger, it's not too bad.

But for a driver, you better keep your eyes on the road. Do not relax. EVER!

At 65mph you'll be an obstacle to traffic. Someone will always do 15 mph faster that you.

And you will piss off someone sooner or later. Odds are eventually that someone will be a crazy.

The route is shorter and cheaper and on a lucky day you might get through it at 120/80 ^_^

Couple of you mentioned the "Grapevine". What is this? Thanks for all the help getting to Mesa.

247 is a good road and no problem for a big rig like ours. We have family in the Victorville area, so we have not taken the section between Barstow and Lucerne Valley, but friends with big rigs have with no complaints. Because we visit family, we are very familiar with SR58.

(The Grapevine is the pass north or L.A. on I-5).

Yes ChuckD. The route to Kingman does come out East of Indio. That is why taking the route south from Barstow is suggested. It will let you connect to the i-10 west of Indio. Then it is just a short drive. Dennis

Archived