Dog Vacinations?

Velos

Certainly agree with the last paragraph: All-in-all, the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks and, as with humans, we have all but eliminated some canine diseases — but they won’t stay eliminated unless our dogs stay vaccinated. A Pack Leader’s job is to provide protection and direction, and making sure that your dog regularly gets at least all of her core vaccinations is one of the best protections you can provide.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

but they won’t stay eliminated unless our dogs stay vaccinated.

Pets do not need to be vaccinated each year...people aren't. Vaccinations will be effective for at least seven years according to studies. That's why we have vaccine titers done on our dogs rather than just blindly vaccinating them every year. Both of our dogs have had titers done three years after their puppy vaccines and both are still fully covered. We will continue to have titers done and, if the titers show that they need to have additional vaccines, we'll have it done then, but not before.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Certainly agree with the last paragraph: All-in-all, the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks and, as with humans, we have all but eliminated some canine diseases — but they won’t stay eliminated unless our dogs stay vaccinated. A Pack Leader’s job is to provide protection and direction, and making sure that your dog regularly gets at least all of her core vaccinations is one of the best protections you can provide.

The thing that has to be factored in is the scamming of Pet Owners by Vets.

There is a 3 year Rabies Vaccine and a 1 year Rabies vaccine. Guess what the difference is? How much you pay for it and what the dog tag says. It is the same injection.

Dogs are mammals, they have immune systems just like we do. They don't need these shots every year. IUf you search online, you'll find vets who admit this.

I would imagine they only need at most 3 rabies shots for their entire liefe, perhaps not that many.

I give the rest of the shots to my own dogs, I also de-worm them myself and mix up his heartworm medicine.

I buy the 132# Frontline plus and use it from a Vial, I get three doses for my dog out of the one you use on a great dane.

I don't need to go to the vet for any of it except the Rabies rip off. Which must be administered by a Vet. Everybody should be irritated at what these clowns are doing.

Last Honest vet I found was back in the 90's. Ohh and the neurosurgeon that fixed my dogs ruptured discs when he was paralyzed was honest, but besides those, all the rest pretty much crooks.

<<Les Garten>>

Pets do not need to be vaccinated each year...people aren't. Vaccinations will be effective for at least seven years according to studies. That's why we have vaccine titers done on our dogs rather than just blindly vaccinating them every year. Both of our dogs have had titers done three years after their puppy vaccines and both are still fully covered. We will continue to have titers done and, if the titers show that they need to have additional vaccines, we'll have it done then, but not before.

I don't do the titers, but I also don't vaccinate every year either...it's pointless, as you say. I do the rabies vaccine every 3 years because it is required by law, and since my vet includes all the vaccines in the cost of the visit I let them do all of them then. I used to do them myself, but since they are already included in the cost of the visit, why not let them do it...I'm already paying for the visit anyway.

I was the same with my horses...every year for the first three as boosters for a young horse, then only every 4-5 years since I moved from guest ranch to guest ranch with my horses.

I honestly have no issue with the legal requirement of the rabies vaccine since it is such a horrible, human-transmissable disease. Most towns with animal shelters have a rabies clinic where it costs $10. I think that's worth it. The one year is a starter shot, then needs a booster a year later which is then valid for three years. Since we usually start with young animals (and humans) boosters are an important part of the vaccination process.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Hmmm, you anger is misplaced. Vets aren't the ones making the laws requiring vaccines.

You're right...it's the state governments that make the laws regarding rabies vaccines...some require annual vaccines; most require the 3-year vaccine.

However, there's a Rabies Challenge Fund, http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/, that's working to establish the duration of rabies vaccines. From their website:

"This vaccine research project to address the duration of immunity conveyed by rabies vaccine is being performed by Dr. Ronald Schultz, Chairman of Pathobiology at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine. If the Rabies Challenge Fund succeeds in raising funds to complete both the 5 and 7 year challenge studies, the second phase of the project will finance a study of the adjuvants used in veterinary vaccines, and establish a federal adverse reaction reporting system for rabies and other vaccines."

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I don't believe that for a minute.

Meh. You can believe whatever you want. Do you REALLY think AVMA (or another vet lobby, if there is one), would bother with that? If so, do you believe there would be low-cost rabies vaccine clinics?

If there is any lobby that pushed for rabies legislation, it was pharma.

But you go ahead and believe what you want.

• 3 weeks later...

My dogs are seniors and only get the rabies shots. The last two times one of them had all the vaccines, her face and ears to the tips swelled up. The vet acted like this was no big deal, gave her a shot and it was gone in 24 hours, the 24 hours that I watched the poor thing suffer through trying to rub her swollen eyes and running into things. I have read the research and make informed decisions based on what I read and using my own judgement just like I do for myself. Preventive medicine to me is a healthy lifestyle, not chemicals.

Cathy

I find "vaccinations" very vague though. I wonder if requiring vaccinations for humans is next, I hope not. Actually, this is of great concern to me and would influence my membership which is making me think twice about what services will be available to us down the road, literally. We practice homeopathy and I read a great deal about both health for people and animals. My last dog lived to be 13.5 years old, a 75 lb dog and never had a health problem. The current ones, one a senior age unknown and the other one 11.5 have had no health issues. I feel more than competent to make decisions about what is right and not right for my pets.

At this point, they will not be asking to see proof, just taking people's word for it. I am going to try to get a clarification, since we may need to reevaluate the value of our membership. I have both left a phone message and sent an email. I would never compromise the health of a family member of which our dogs are part.

Cesar needs to stick with what he knows, reforming deviant K-9s!

Cathy

I do all my Dog's Vaccinations and treatments with the exception of Rabies.

I would do the Rabies, but you have to get "paper" and the local law says it has to be administered by a Veterinary Doctor. I also don't want any question of Rabies inoculation.

I have the dogs's shot records and I fill them out when I do them.

I also mix up my own Heartowm, Fleas, , ear cleaner, etc, and administer my own dewormers. The most complicated is the Heartworm.

It's easy to do, but some research is required. The vaccinations are easily bought online or at a Tractor Supply or other feed place.

I have mixed feelings about Vets and what their motivations are. I didn't really feel that until I moved to South Florida.

<<Les Garten>>

As I explained earlier, we don't vaccinate our dogs each year. We follow the American Animal Hospital Association's (AAHA) Vaccination Guidelines which recommend vaccines no more often than every three years. https://www.aaha.org/public_documents/professional/guidelines/caninevaccineguidelines.pdf

Rather than have our dogs vaccinated every three years, we have titers done. Both of our dogs are six years old and have had one set of titers done at age 3 (they're due for their second set this year). As of their last titers, they are fully covered from the vaccines they had as puppies. If at any time the titers show that they are no longer covered, we'll have them revaccinated, but not until then.

I don't know how this is going to affect us staying at a Rainbow Park. I can truthfully say that they're up to date with their vaccines because they ARE still covered...and I have paperwork from the vet that says so. However, whether or not that's going to be acceptable to someone not cognizant of the changing vaccination protocols is questionable.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

As I explained earlier, we don't vaccinate our dogs each year. We follow the American Animal Hospital Association's (AAHA) Vaccination Guidelines which recommend vaccines no more often than every three years. https://www.aaha.org/public_documents/professional/guidelines/caninevaccineguidelines.pdf

Rather than have our dogs vaccinated every three years, we have titers done. Both of our dogs are six years old and have had one set of titers done at age 3 (they're due for their second set this year). As of their last titers, they are fully covered from the vaccines they had as puppies. If at any time the titers show that they are no longer covered, we'll have them revaccinated, but not until then.

I don't know how this is going to affect us staying at a Rainbow Park. I can truthfully say that they're up to date with their vaccines because they ARE still covered...and I have paperwork from the vet that says so. However, whether or not that's going to be acceptable to someone not cognizant of the changing vaccination protocols is questionable.

I'm curious, what do the Titer tests cost?

<<Les Garten>>

I got my answer and my dogs will not be allowed in the Rainbow Parks. They plan to dictate that the ASPCA guidelines be used: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/vaccinations-your-pet Without our vet saying that it would be a hazard to our dogs, we must vaccinate with the "core" or our dogs WILL NOT be allowed in the Rainbow Parks. It is sad that more people are not educated about the hazards and that the ASPCA, most likely receiving generous donations from big pharma and the veterinary community is being considered the go to for education on the subject.

I do think they need to put this front and center because they may find others that are educated about vaccines may not want to be a member.

So, I suppose on down the road, we would have to have flu shots, etc. before we were allowed to mingle with people at the Rainbow Parks? Yeah, I don't pay a membership fee in order to be dictated to about personal choices!

I have no problem being street legal with the rabies vaccine and my dogs have always had them.

Cathy

I got my answer and my dogs will not be allowed in the Rainbow Parks. They plan to dictate that the ASPCA guidelines be used:

Since the parks are only going to ask, but not insist on proof, how would they know...particularly if you have had titers done and have proof that they're still covered by their previous vaccines? That's what I plan to do if we should ever stay at another Rainbow park, although that's doubtful since our travels between home and our winter destinations don't take us near a Rainbow Park unless we go out of our way.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

If asked, I will tell the truth, that's what I do. Heck, that actually was a reason we decided not to pursue domicile in a state where we would have to perjure ourselves by signing a form.

I did read an article where there is a less expensive option that would be available with some veterinarians and could be completed in the office. Not sure if any are using it.

We have decided to avoid the Rainbow Parks and probably drop our membership. I see no benefit to membership at this point now that we have actually retired and planned to travel. Good Sam serves us well and we save so much more with that membership and can actually stay in nicer places without being bullied into doing something we oppose.

Cathy

Archived