Travel Trailer HDT'ers Options

CDR

To any like ourselves, we have been thinking of upgrading the setup. We haul a Ranger now and a motorcycle side by side with bicycles but I'm sure we could carry (2) vehicles on the bed and still have room for a motorcycle or bicycles! With the new TT's you can have the same sqft. as a 5ver, in the price range of most buyers. Not talking the $80k+ units! I guess for myself I do prefer a TT, with this doing a few mods you could stack a smart over a street legal UTV or (2) UTV's or a mix of them side by side? There should still be room for bicycles! Travel trailers like the Open Range with it's reverse design and patio option shows TT's can hold their own. One beauty of this setup is you can run singled, no need to bare that pin weight it can be used for payload! A singled truck gets better MPG and is cheaper to maintain.But if you need to haul more weight keep it tandem. Something to think about when you want to haul (2) vehicles + and pull a full living space (no toyhauler) RV.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I have been pulling a TT for years with my HDT. We have no plans of going with a 5th wheel. I do not see the advantage with my setup.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

I think you could do amazing things with a custom built travel trailer frame. As Steve knows, Spacecraft will do one for you. It will not be particularly cheap, but it will give you exactly what you want.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Steve;

I have said I like your trailer, what's in the drom? Also with the drom it limits your versatility with that space thou. But it does keep "what's in the drom dry and clean.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Jack;

Myself and I know many others do not have the resources to have custom trailers made, nor would some want to. That is why I stated below $80k. More folks can afford this type of setup.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Steve;

I have said I like your trailer, what's in the drom? Also with the drom it limits your versatility with that space thou. But it does keep "what's in the drom dry and clean.

Curt

I specifically designed and had my box custom built to carry my smart, my tool chest, my boat, Gail's refrigerator, and LOTS of storage overhead. I don't have many pictures of the inside as it is still a work in progress. I'll get some when I get out to the HDT Rally and post them if anyone is interested. I am happy with the way it's all coming together.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Steve;

I understand the boat, as we carry a roll up inflatable with a 2hp Honda. These fit nicely in the bed of the Ranger when traveling.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Steve, I have to ask; why did you stay doubled up? Just a newb question, trying to learn.

Another Steve

I bought my truck 8 1/2 years ago. At the time, I built a temporary bed made of wood. I thought I would single it as soon as I had the permanent bed built. Well, my temporary bed lasted for over 6 years. During that time, I gave it lots of thought, looked at what others were doing. I paid attention to the problems solved as well as the problems created. Over that time, I came to the conclusion that there were not enough advantages to singling it, for me, to out weigh leaving it tandem.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Steve;

I understand the boat, as we carry a roll up inflatable with a 2hp Honda. These fit nicely in the bed of the Ranger when traveling.

Curt

I carry a PortaBote. Very stable on the water.

20150409_142520_zpsy1bidkhi.jpg

It folds up to about the size of a large surfboard and mounts to the side of my box.

20141004_134453_zpslqg68ika.jpg

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Jack;

Myself and I know many others do not have the resources to have custom trailers made, nor would some want to. That is why I stated below $80k. More folks can afford this type of setup.

Curt

I agree that not everyone wants to build custom. Or build it yourself. You can have just the frame made if you want a DIY trailer. Or just made weather tight and do the systems and interior yourself. Or anything in between.

Or, just buy an off the shelf travel trailer. I think there are lots of options available.

A custom frame with storage under the floor (raised floor) that is not a semi would be interesting.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 weeks later...

I use the AirSafe class VI. A world of difference vs towing with a rigid hitch.

Ever since I saw a picture of your setup it has kind of spoken to me. A thought I had was mounting an 8.5x12 motorcycle trailer since that is what I would carry in it. It would give you a side door for entry as well as the rear door. You could even use one with a mild V-nose if you wanted to make space for exhaust stacks. Do you think a typical motorcycle trailer would hold up riding on the back of a semi?

Ever since I saw a picture of your setup it has kind of spoken to me. A thought I had was mounting an 8.5x12 motorcycle trailer since that is what I would carry in it. It would give you a side door for entry as well as the rear door. You could even use one with a mild V-nose if you wanted to make space for exhaust stacks. Do you think a typical motorcycle trailer would hold up riding on the back of a semi?

Yes it would. A 7' width would be easier to remove the fenders and have a clean box though. I was/am still, thinking about off setting my 7'er to the drivers side, giving me room to make a hinged down small patio at the side door.

At the rate I seem to complete a project before starting another.................I dont know when I will ever get to this one................... :)

I'm a work'n on it.

Archived