On 93 between Wells and Ely......

Vladimir

We are heading south and looking for an overnight closer to Ely than Wells for an overnight stay. Like something fairly close to 93 as it will just be an overnight.

We have done the trip in the past, but I do not remember any places to stay.

Any Fish and Wildlife or BLM sites??

Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I think the road to Garnet hill is BLM land but this was 5 yrs ago we were there. We stayed at a motel that had RV parking and very cheap plus they had an indoor pool that was included. This was in Ely

And on down the road at Pahrump we stayed in the RV park run by Best Western...Be sure to read your elect mmeter though.. They forgot and also the road going around to the back for RVs also leads you out onto BLM land but when we were there it was largely populated with homeless people.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Vladimir, thee is Prospector Hotel and RV Park on the north end of Ely. I think Jim n Sue are talking about the same place. Not fancy but cheap free Wi-Fi, pool and use of laundry. Each get a free Margarita upon registering. Park first then register. Hope you aren't using RT 318 today as it is the Sunday for the Silver state race. They close 318 from approx. 5AM until 5PM today. Just south of Lund to north of Hiko. Should be in there ourselves Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks...we have stayed at the Prospector. Good breakfast.

We also stayed at a gas station on the edge of town.

I did notice some possible spots west of Ely on the National Forest, but it was spring and there was no way I was going off pavement.

Sounds like we all stay at the same spots!!

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Yep that was the place. The only place that I have found that the heated pool was actually heated. We enjoyed the steam engine ride up to Ruth. Oh and almost forgot the girls from the brothel coming out to wave at the train as we went by. Later I asked DW if I could buy her a drink at the brothel, I guess there is no understanding women. Normally it would be let me think about it or sure lets go! but what I got was NO and then a HELL NO :huh: Guess she wasn;t thirsty ;)

Jim Spence

We've spent the night at the Ely Elk Viewing Area about 11 miles south of Ely on the east side of US-93. Very quiet area with minimal traffic.

N39.10242 W114.76006

Also, there are many pulloffs along US-93 that are suitable for overnight. If you have the Day's End listings, it lists a few between Ely and Lages Station (junction of US-93 and Alt-93).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We've spent the night at the Ely Elk Viewing Area about 11 miles south of Ely on the east side of US-93. Very quiet area with minimal traffic.

N39.10242 W114.76006

Also, there are many pulloffs along US-93 that are suitable for overnight. If you have the Day's End listings, it lists a few between Ely and Lages Station (junction of US-93 and Alt-93).

Which reminds me drive careful in the area. We met one person that had a moose vs RV experience. Ins co had his vehicle towed to Oregon for repairs. It was the closest place for repairs that the ins was willing to pay.

Jim Spence

Which reminds me drive careful in the area. We met one person that had a moose vs RV experience. Ins co had his vehicle towed to Oregon for repairs. It was the closest place for repairs that the ins was willing to pay.

A moose in that area? He must have gotten lost. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Left Cactus Pete's in Jackpot, NV. this AM. Now sitting in Paranaghat Wildlife Refuge for tonight. Down RT 318 and US 93. Vladimir, there are all sorts of places to park for the night, if you are looking for them in daylight. Could be tricky after dark. Linda, one of the better stops went away. Lages Junction (Corner), NDOT has dumped huge gravel piles there and has mostly chain linked off the whole corner. Had my day made as we were coming into Alamo. Nevada State Police were pushing southbound traffic off to the shoulder as there was a northbound wide load coming thru. Three of us pulled into the apron for a gas station and just before in front of the wide load an idiot came flying up the southbound shoulder out of the gas station where we were sitting to jump into the caravan. Wrong! Mr. Smokey Bear bringing up the rear of the caravan saw him and was pulling him off as we started moving southbound. YES!

We are just a little behind you. Does the Paranaghat Refuge still have the restriction on generator use??

We are spending the night at Murray Summit at a Forest Service campground. I did manage to get all 50 feet of me into a spur!! With the Senior pass we are out $4. for the night. Water is still on. Campground has recently been renovated and the spurs are STILL to short!! Roads are rocked so should be firm even in the spring. There are a couple of large trail heads that probably will be open in the spring before the campground. Nice spot. Not sure if it is in the Days End inventory.

Here is the link:http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/htnf/recarea/?recid=65536

The site has great cell reception. Upload and download internet (speedof.me) at 18 Mbps. Looks like 21 stations on the TV and I did not even raise the antenna.

It is an incredible place for astronomy. Juniper trees are fairly small.

Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Linda, one of the better stops went away. Lages Junction (Corner), NDOT has dumped huge gravel piles there and has mostly chain linked off the whole corner.

We noticed that the last time we went by. There weren't any gravel piles at that time, but it was chain linked off. I don't know if this is going to be a permanent condition, or if it will be returned to "normal" once all the road construction in the area is finished.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Here's a good review on Paranaghat - a wonderful stopping place. We had solar so didn't pay attention to generator regulations. However, on this review, at the top, it states "no generators". You might want to call for an update.

http://wheelingit.us/2014/04/14/free-campground-review-pahranagat-national-wildlife-refuge-alamo-nv/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

at the top, it states "no generators". You might want to call for an update.http://wheelingit.us/2014/04/14/free-campground-review-pahranagat-national-wildlife-refuge-alamo-nv/

When we stopped there this past spring to see if we could find an open spot (we couldn't), the sign said no generators.

Regarding the two "shared" sites talked about in the referenced article: They're fine if you're sharing with friends. However, since the two spaces in each shared site are close together, I certainly wouldn't take the empty spot next to someone I didn't know. That's just me, and YMMV.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Here is what we saw this AM and last evening. There is a new kiosk across from the host site and in front of the day use pavilion. There is a "registration" type thingy there that wants to know if you hiked, camped, biked, etc. The mobile office is gone. This all has been done since we were there the last time. There is a host on site and he came passed last evening and may have written our license down. He was gone by the time I got out side. Now for the genny info or lack thereof. At the kiosk across from the host all it said was quiet hour 10 PM- 7AM. Said nothing about gennys at all. The sign as you start down the gravel road also had the same quiet hours and also said nothing about gennys. I didn't run ours as we have solar. There was a motorhome running his genny last evening. We usually try to use one of the double sites but both were taken by a rig that stretched themselves out. We found a back-in vacant, sort had to park a goofy way to make it work without unhooking. And the site went directly down to the water. Just carried two chairs down to water level. There was a lot of water fowl!

Archived