Insurance Premium Increase

dsimpson

My National General Insurance (Good Sam) premium increased $400 this year to a little over $2000 a year to cover my rig.

http://www.drs32.com/My_Rig.html

I am wondering if this increase is because I made a $3000 claim for a broken frame (which was denied) or if it was a normal increase to cover the cost of doing business.

I have considered changing to another company for several years but I don't want to chase lower premiums and end up with a company that provides worse service. But since my claim was denied, how much worse can it be? Now the price increase only reinforces my desire to seek another insurance company. Any recommendations?

You might check w/Explorer RV. They are a broker and will find the best match for you. They have done well for me over the years. When I was facing a huge increase I figured out it was due to carrying full replacement coverage on a coach that was going over 10 years old.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Insurance increases can be an across the board increase for an entire state or local zip code, based on last years results for that area; or it can be due to a specific change in one policy holders status or risk profile; or a combination of both.

Whether you're happy with your current carrier & price, its good practice to check rates through an independent agency who can get quotes for the same coverages from several different carriers.

Jim

You may want to check with Foremost Insurance Co. We've been insured with them now for 20 years. On our first coach we filed some high $$$ claims and was extremely pleased by their no-hassle claim handling and pleasantly surprised when there was no ncrease in our premium.

We've also filed several claims on our current coach which were expeditiously handled and again no premium increase until this year when our annual $827 premium was increased to $922.

We enjoy full coverage including towing of coach and toad and our deductible is $250. Based on their excellent claim service provided over the years, I can highly recomment them.

Good luck with your choice of an insurance carrier and safe travels.... :)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Archived