Bad water pump or sucking air

oldjohnt

Currrently in Arizona, 2 yr old Flo Jet water pump starts acting up like its loosing prime or were running out of water, but then seems to prime and build up pressure and work again, EVEN THOUGH nothing has changed past 2 years as far as water supply and fittings etc. The pump is only 1 ft away from tank and located at tanks lower outlet elevation so there's like zero lift required from tank to pumps input.

I do have dual tank switchable 1/2 flex pipe inputs (big main and smaller aux tanks), each with a 1/2 plastic ball valve, but that all worked fine past 2 years never a problem when I changed valves to draw from one tank to the other.

The 1/2 plastic lines (heavy reinforced flex tube NOT the thin white factory type) from tanks to valves and pump are hose barb push ons BUT NO HOSE CLAMPS as they were super tight and none seemed necessary with NEVER even any hint of a leak.

SOOOOOOOOOO maybe with age and temp changes Ive developed an air leak on the suction side (NO leaks ever) which hose clams and silicone etc can seal, ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the pump is prematurely crapping out?????????????????? CAN A TINY AIR LEAK (no water leak) ON SUCTION SIDE CAUSE THIS????????????????????????

Guess I will hose clamp and seal but if it still acts up new pump???????????? (but wow those hose barb and push ons are so tight I don't see how they leak, its tough to remove them, or how it worked fine 2 years until now all of a sudden)

Your thoughts are appreciated, heading to North Rim of Grand Canyon today

John T Live from Page Arizona

Hey John,

How long has it been since you cracked it open and cleaned it out? Could just be a bit of buildup on the valves. I would suspect the intake is allowing back pressure to partially drain the pump back into your FW tank, but it could be on either end.

If it's been 2 years I would definitely crack it'n clean it before I would get too worried about anything serious.

I don't see drainback as a problem since this happens WHEN RUNNING not after a shut down. I just finished a hot shower and she worked fine for now

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A TEENY TINY AIR LEAK ON THE SUCTION SIDE TO CAUSE THE LOSS OF PUMPING WHEN RUNING?????

Also the hot water heater failed to ignite (worked perfect for years) but when I jiggled the wire on the ignitor she took off, so I will remove and clean and tighten that connection today. A 6 week trip after shes set a while means its time for preventive a little minor maintenance it appears

Thanks, I will check back again

John T

It's possible you have a small leak on the suction side. I would take the discharge side off and run a short piece of hose outside and then let the pump run with no restriction and maybe just maybe it might flush out any particles in pump that could be screwing things up. Good Luck

Might be time to unplug elect and pull cover off of panel and retighten all screws also.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Don't forget a very small leak at the checkvalve behind the shore water hook up. After 4 years mine would just barely drip after a run down the road and the pump would have to build the system back up again. A new shore water hookup fixed it. rockin'

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

PROBLEM SOLVED I removed the pump fittings and let it drain then flushed it a few times and re connected and tightened everything up now works just fine. I DO NOT think it was any air leak, but more along the lines Yarome and others mentioned maybe a small speck stuck in the valve body or check which is now gone.

Hot water heater failed to light but jiggling wires made it work so I removed (jiggled one plus a few others) and cleaned and snugged up those connections now its fine also. On those ignitor boards I remove the flat ribbon connector and use a pencil eraser to clean n shine the copper contact strips which can cure a lot of problems.

Headed to Zion tomorrow, a "Place of Peace and Tranquility"

John T

PROBLEM SOLVED I removed the pump fittings and let it drain then flushed it a few times and re connected and tightened everything up now works just fine.

Good deal, that. I know a lot of folks are quick to switch out pumps, but from my experience, 90% of the time a good flush and cleaning will solve most issues. Especially on newer rigs. You would be amazed at what comes out of the lines of 'new' rigs. Insulation, foam bits from duct cuts, sawdust, etc. I know they pressure test for system integrity (mostly), but I doubt they do a full fluid flush before connecting to fixtures and such.

Archived