New GPS

Big5er

Well, I'm sitting here at the last day of a safety conference in Kerrville and son of a gun if I didn't win a door prize. I won a brand new Rand Mcnally Truck GPS. Its a model TND730LM. Anyone familiar with it? Heck, I think I'll mount it in the county truck for the drive home.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have the smaller version(520) on my dashboard now. Have been using the Rand Mcnally since the introduced them several years ago.

Their strongest points are the POI data base specifically aimed at trucks, fuel, truck stops, walmarts etc. Also repair/tire facilities. Keeps track of mileages by state for fuel tax purposes, which might be fun.

Routing is no better or worse than the Garmin Dezl which is on the same dashboard simultaneously. I find the bigger 7 " screen to be in the way.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Congrats! It looks identical to my RM RV GPS with almost all of the same features... Lane guidance, estimated tolls, back up camera support, wifi, etc etc. Probably the same animal with different POI's. Where you have "trucker tools" I have "rv tools".

Great little unit! I ran it along with my Garmin for quite awhile and eventually ended up retiring the Garmin. It does a very good job routing around "obstacles" and alternate routing to avoid tolls. I'm happy with it.

One tip would be to get a screen sun shade. They are pretty dang hard to read sometimes without one.

Cactus, you must be confusing me with someone else. :) I'm childless. I do still see the ex step-son and the grandkids but I'm the one buying presents

2014 smart Fortwo

I have the rv version of this. It does the job. Support is aweful. I had to reduce my overall length because it was restrictions me from too many routes. The dock software would not work properly on my computer until I upgraded to win 10. Did I say support is aweful.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I guess that is a computer issue, Ronbo. I had an old RV version and the dock software worked fine and fired right up with this one.

MrSeas, you were right..had a map update right off.

What can I say Rocky? I never win any of the door prizes...guess I can't say that anymore.

2014 smart Fortwo

I find the bigger 7 " screen to be in the way.

Believe it or not, Jeff, I have the RV version of the Dezl, the RV 760, and I use it in my pickup when I'm not driving the T2000. Granted, mounting it at the top of the windshield in the pickup, to the left of the rear view mirror, keeps it away from the "prime" windshield real estate. I'm short enough that I easily look under it, not around it, which also helps.

I love all of the information that Garmin can legibly cram into that 7" screen.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Cactus, you must be confusing me with someone else. :) I'm childless. I do still see the ex step-son and the grandkids but I'm the one buying presents

Big5er

My comment was tongue in cheek refering to your fur kids from a previous post.

Guess my tongue in cheek turned into "foot in mouth"

I have the same docking issue with mine. Seems every time I try to update I need to reload the software on my laptop. Discussed with tech support the first time it happened and that's what they had me do.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Does it come with a pre trip inspection check list? Won't give you directions until it's completed ?

LOL

The devil made me say that! It wasn't me

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Big5er

My comment was tongue in cheek refering to your fur kids from a previous post.

Guess my tongue in cheek turned into "foot in mouth"

Big5er, I think Catus may have been refering to your furkids ??? :huh: Charlie

ok, ok...so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer some days.

So far I am liking it. Of course, its only been in the county ride and hasn't been put to a real test yet. Time will tell.

And I had issues with it's first update. RM told me to turn off my anti-virus and do it again. Worked fine that time.

2014 smart Fortwo

I paid almost $400 for the Rand McNally 7710RVND several years ago on a Camping World pre-order. Poor hardware AND software in my opinion. My Super C Dynamax came with Rand MacNally 720 RV software pre-loaded on the radio ~ entertainment system. The 720 software has been an improvement over the 7710 but, RM is still my LEAST favorite GPS (especially when using a Mac OS computer). There is NO "perfect" GPS; they all have compromises. That said, I do like the CoPilot software for truckers. I also have a 5" Garmin dezl which, in my opinion, is light yeard ahead of Rand McNally.

FlyGuy, I agree with you about the CoPilot software. I have it loaded on the truck-puter so the "navigator" can follow or adjust the route on the fly. It displays on the 15" monitor (passenger side) with a mirror image 7" display built in the dash on the drivers side. I plan to use the RM on the next vacation "just because I can" if you know what I mean. I'll play with it, after all it was free.

2014 smart Fortwo

I don't have any personal experience with the Rand M, but I have heard so many negative things about it from experienced GPS users that I personally would never buy one. I AM looking for another GPS - mine is like 8 years old with no map updates. But I'm sticking to the Garmin. Probably a trucker version so I can get in my full height. I think most of the RV ones will not go above 13'. Comments?

BTW, I do use the Co-pilot software on an android tablet an love it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have the RM 7725 and so far no problems with it but since I'm part time don't use it as much as most folks might so maybe just haven't discovered the problems. Will point out a discussion RandyA and I had about map updates. I have updated this unit twice since I've owned it and both times it used about 4.5gb of data. If you are using a mobile wifi like Millenicom Jetpak that can be an issue. Randy said he believed his did not use that much to update. I spoke with RM tech support and they said would take about 5gb to update so can't explain our discrepancy.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Probably a trucker version so I can get in my full height. I think most of the RV ones will not go above 13'. Comments?

Jack, the RV 760 is nothing more than a Garmin Dezl 760 with RV POIs added and fewer truck POIs (weigh stations, etc.). It's the same highway database as the Dezl, which is to say a far more accurate and detailed database than is used in the "consumer-grade" Garmins.

I was able to use a height value of greater than 13' (I believe that I used 13' 6"). I debated whether to go with the Dezl or RV model before purchase, and finally went with the RV. I've been well satisfied with mine.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks Phil. I'll go with the RV one, based on your experience. As long as it will do 13' 6" I'm satisfied.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have several comments on the Garmin Dezl 760, but out of time right now. Will get back to it later tonight.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I've been very pleased with my RM. Dock software works well but I do not let it autoload the front end when I boot my PC. It is just extra baggage. I started with the 7710 (no map updates included) then went to the 7720 and lastly the 7725/7730 both with lifetime map updates. I have now put the newest model (7725/7730) away for two reasons: #1 - volume is too low for my old ears while the 7720 will blast you out of the cab. #2 - the new TFT screen is brighter, but when I am wearing polarized sun glasses I cannot see it. I have my height set for 13'6". The latest firmware update no longer blocks me from routing in states with overall length restrictions less that what I enter for my rig - it just gives me a warning. I am sure there are higher end units out there that do a better job, but I am happy with the routing features, quick stops, detour, traffic, campground database, POI's and warnings for curves, downgrades, speed limit changes, etc. I can also do my routing in advance of a trip with the on-line software, look at alternate routes, change default routing and then download it to the 7720. Yea, it sometimes makes mistakes like putting my destination on the opposite side of the road but it hasn't sent me off on any wild goose chases or put me in a dead end alley. I've never needed their tech guys so can't comment on support. It does take a while to learn and remember all the menus, button presses and features but once that hurdle is jumped it is a pretty dog-gone slick piece of equipment. It is also a good idea to have your DW familiar with the unit as doing some functions while driving is akin to texting - best to keep your eyes on the road.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived