Question About AC Thermostats

coachmac9

How hard is it to change out the original thermostat to a new thermostat that actually works? We have a 98 Fleetwood Discovery DP with dual AC's. Don't have the make or model with me right now but was just wondering if this is something I can do. I am fairly handy at doing other electric projects such as wiring new plugs, adding a breaker to a breaker box ect ect.

I know it has been done and there may be threads on the subject on this board if you do a search and otherwise do a general web search re rv thermostat and you will find material.

I have researched it before but did not keep any links. Generally you can switch them and many do switch over to digital thermostats which tend to hold the temp in a more precise temp range. Get your make of AC and then check out some of the camping equipment sites. People have also switched over to regular residential thermostats which can be lower cost. The trick there is to get the wiring right since the color codes for the wires may not be compatible. I know that when I did my search I found where RV owners who successfully made the change posted wiring schematics. If you get more info re your make others on this board may be able to help also. dave

Dave and Lana Hasper

If you have the thermostat that controls, BOTH A/C units, it is pretty difficult. If they are separated, you can change to a Hunter. Do a Google search or on this site for Hunter RV thermostat.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I replaced the two Duo-therm analog heating and A/C thermostats in our coach with Honeywell digital programmable stats. The wiring was pretty easy, and I added a mini-toggle switch to each stat for the 2-speed A/C fans. As said though, if you have a single two zone thermostat, the conversion would be quite complex.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived