Where to buy 20A WDRU Receptacle & Installation Tool?

Jim Gell

Our microwave flickered on and off when we slid cookie sheets and cutting boards into the little cabinet above it. Inspection revealed a short when I wiggled the cord that fed through that space and plugged into an outlet in the back wall there. I pulled the outlet and there are signs of overheating and corrosion of the contacts where the plug goes.

I want to replace the receptacle but have not been able to find one to buy online. I found an Ebay seller who sold one in the past. He/she is on vacation for a couple weeks. If I don't find one sooner, I will contact him when he returns to see if he has anymore to sell. I have found 15 amp duplex version of the same Wirecon self contained design.

Does anyone know where to buy a 20A version of the Wirecon WDR receptacle?

Also: I found a pdf online showing a special installation tool. Am I right to assume I can put the wires in place and compress the two halves of the outlet between a couple pieces of wood with a c clamp or two?

And lastly: Could the reason I can't readily find a replacement indicate these have been replaced with an improved receptacle in newer RV's? Is there something else I should use? The literature from Hubel-Wirecon said these were designed to withstand the vibrations of RVs. Will a well installed household receptacle work just as well? Or will the screws vibrate loose no matter how I install it? Permatex removable liquid thread lock? I was able to pull extra wire out of the wall and an otherwise ugly flush mounted box would not be a eyesore inside this cabinet.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

For what it's worth, I'm in the process of changing out all the WDRU outlets in our trailer. There is something about the "push the wire into a V shaped conductor that cuts through the insulation to make the connection" that just isn't working for me. Reminds me of 12V landscape lighting wiring :huh:

I have been installing a plastic remodel box that has the wing mounting clamps that are similar to the WDRU stuff and then put in a 20 amp receptacle.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

I have replaced a couple of the WDR receptacles. It is not easy without the tool but the tool is too expensive for the amateur user.

One thing to watch is the polarity of the housing and the push-in plate. It is not very obvious but does matter.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Mark,

Where did you get your replacement WDR receptacles?

Jim

2016 smart car

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks, Mark. I was hoping you had another source. I found 15 amp receptacles. What I want to replace is a 20 amp version. Since the 20A heated up, I don't think it would be wise to install a 15A. I will ask a local electric supply store if they can order one.

2016 smart car

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a little late on this thread... These receptacles (and switches) are called self-contained devices or "SCD" for short. Readily available all over the place. If you have one now that has a T-slot that accepts a 15 or 20 amp plug, your circuit may not actually be 20 amps. Check the breaker and wire rating and if 15 amp, you can use a duplex or single 15 amp recept. or a T-slot one. Makes no difference. I'd be surprised if you have a 20 amp microwave.

Here is a listing on ebay for a 15/20 amp T-slot single receptacle. Listing says 15 amp but description says 20 amp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WIRECON-SELF-CONTAINED-RECEPTACLE-OUTLET-15A-125V-OFF-WHITE-RV-/231617778236?hash=item35ed7ed23c&vxp=mtr It's clearly 20 amps because it's a T-slot. When searching, google "self contained device" or "SCD device" along with "receptacle". You can buy them from the online RV vendors or from local RV dealers. Available in black and white too.

There is absolutely no reason not to use an SCD device or to fear or worry about them. They are CSA listed which means they have gone through VERY stringent testing. They're used in mobile homes too. They are designed to fit in thin walls in RVS since exterior walls and underside of cabinets are only about 1" thick. Most RV-ers aren't used to them and don't know how to terminate the wires. There is a special tool available to punch down the wires, but from what I've seen, even RV manufacturers don't use them or know how to. You can simply use a large flat blade screwdriver and/or needle nose pliers. Just hold the recept. against something solid and push the wires steadily and hard enough until it goes ALL the way down onto the "stabs" (IDC connectors). I'm an EE and have no concerns about SCD receptacles. Never install a standard residential receptacle in an RV without an outlet box.

There are several brands on the market, Pass & Seymour, Hubbell (Wirecon) and I think Diamond (?) that I know of. I'd get the first two as the plastic seems a little stronger and they're long established US companies. Here is a Hubbell brochure: http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/literature/wirecon_catalog.pdf

$_57.JPG

I brought the old Wirecon into a local electric supply store and they could not even order one they said. I used a conventional high quality 20 amp tamper resistant receptacle in a shallow box. It seems secure enough. I fully looped the wires on the screws so if they rattle loose, at least they won't come off the screws.

Thanks for the great info. I will use it next time and others may find your post and be helped by it.

2016 smart car

Looks to me like what the SCD is encompasses a few different items which can be bought much less expensively.

Use a "old work" plastic box and a "normal" receptacle and cover. Costs would be much less and also can choose larger cover plates to compensate for the plastic box.

$15 dollars for each (includes shipping) SCD could go much further and can get at hardware store or home center and better for replacement in the future.

I personally dont like using the stab in type of receptacles but rather prefer having the wires clamped onto the recep via a screw. These are a bit more expensive but much safer. Less prone to vibration issues.

Coming from 25+ years of construction experience and 32+ year RV owner.

Marcel

I brought the old Wirecon into a local electric supply store and they could not even order one they said. I used a conventional high quality 20 amp tamper resistant receptacle in a shallow box. It seems secure enough. I fully looped the wires on the screws so if they rattle loose, at least they won't come off the screws.

Thanks for the great info. I will use it next time and others may find your post and be helped by it.

A loose wire can be more dangerous than if it came completely off.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

A loose wire can be more dangerous than if it came completely off.

Well, that is debatable, depending on the circumstances. But a loose wire under load is going to be "ugly". You are going to overheat that connection and will typically see a singed fitting, and possibly a fire depending on the location and circumstances. I'm not saying that to scare anyone, but I have seen MANY singed connection points in RVs. Unfortunately, unlike ship/marine products, RVs use a mixture of household fittings and more specialized RV or marine (rare) fittings. Household fittings do not "do well" in vibration-prone applications....as mentioned previously. This is one of the reasons why I recommend all loadcenter connections, transfer switch connections and other "like" fittings be checked and tightened once a year.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived