Hookup to site water

TedSchwink

Escapees Mag. Sept/Oct 2015 issue has article "The Ultimate Water Hose Hookup" :

The connection for hose used for black tank flush , and other stuff does not show a pressure regulator. Is a regulator required when flushing the black water tank ? OR just at the City Water connection at the RV.

It is not what is in the black tank, it is the hose and pipe fittings connecting the hose connection to the sprayer.

I blew the pipe off the sprayer when I put 100 psi park water into the tank rinse,

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We attach a regulator first. No unregulated water going anywhere in our rig

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Thanks for comments . I also have been using a regulator .

The article in the Escapes mag. suggests using a " Y " at site water with disconnects at hose connections to "Y" . As suggested it seams prudent to install the regulator at connection of " y" to site water hyd.

Yes. But I sure wouldn't be connecting my black hose to that Y adapter. My black and white hoses.. "never the twain shall meet". ;)

Just make sure you have the black tank valve open while flushing so you don't "pressurize" the tank. It would be a bad thing to blow the tank up.

Ray

Explain how this is possible.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

They have to meet someplace, even if you have a hose connected to your neighbors spigot they are meeting.

I never attach my black hose to potable water sources. I've seen folks with sewer hookups rinsing and flushing their black tanks while still in their camp spot, but that's just another reason I don't use "city water" at CG's... or frequent CG's really at all for that matter. :)

Any factory installed and properly plumbed black tank flush system will employ an air gap fixture that will prevent any back flow from the black tank. Attaching a hose from a potable water source to a black tank flush should create no issue whatsoever.

Air Gap Wikipedia

On the other hand, sticking your hose into the end of your black tank drain hose to flush it out a real no-no! That's why water bibs at dump stations are labeled non-potable.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

You cannot "blow up" a properly functioning black tank. There is an air vent that exits (typically) on the roof. You CAN pump the effluent onto the roof, though, as many people have found out.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As Robin Williams did in his RV movie.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

With the air gap fixtures on my MH one for the black and one for the grey there is no back feed to my black hose. I routinely connect the fresh and the black at a Y connector in my wet bay. If I did not have these air gap devices it would be another story.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The rinsing of stinky slinky at campsites, is one of the main reasons we carry a spray bottle, mixture of water and bleach, in our plumbing bay. Before attaching our water hose, I first run the water out of the bib for 10-15 seconds. Then scary the hose bib, then attached our hose.

I have always been looking for a much water pressure as possible to clean with the grey/black tanks washouts. Good input on too much water pressure can cause a problem, I'll start using a regulator.

And note, though I have the same air gap and back flow restrictors already mentioned, I always run the hose bib for another 10-15 seconds upon tank flushing. And, I spray the hose big threads with our bleach before leaving. And I never rinse stinky slinky at a campsite. I will do so sometimes at the dumping station.

Final comment on this subject. I always do my best to leave a dumping station better then I found it. It always amazes me to watch how some others will treat this area, and leave it in a disgusting state for the next person behind them. I've seen people use a beat up torn broken hose, with a connection to the coach, and then the ripped end of the hose just laying close to the dump drain. Pardon my french, but crap literally allover and around the area of the drain. Some do rinse with water afterwards, but I've seen others that just drive away with toilet paper clumps all around the drain area. I sometime need to clean a dump area, before even using it. I'm sure I do as the gang here does, always using the proper hose and attachments to do the job as cleanly as possible. If anything ever drips, or spills (Or one time backed up on me.) - I always clean the area the best that I can.

The worse that I've seen, was an old rusted banged up duct taped Class C unit - that the owner did not even have hose for. He pulled up close to the dump drain, opened it up, let it drain, then drove off... Not even an attempt to rinse his crap and paper down into the drain... scary!!!

Amazing what some feel is acceptable.

Best to all, and may your dumping and flushing experiences be as pleasant as possible:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived