Linux Help Please

DJW

A couple weeks ago Adobe Flash made some kind of change that when we lived streamed video on our Samsung smart TV's the picture would flash. So today when I went to open the web browser to live stream our church service from HI. I see this msg: Install Adobe Flash. and when you click on it it takes you to the adobe download center just like normal. Then there is a little msg saying " flash player 112 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to flash player 112 for Linux" Then it shows version: 11.2.202.508 system requirements. Then it shows my system as: Linux 32-bit, English, Safari? Then it says select version to download and gives me 4 choices:

A: YUM for Linux (YUM)

B: .tar.gz for other Linux

C: .rpm for other Linux

D: APT for Ubuntu 10.04+

I do not have a clue which version I need? Also I do not understand where it says my system as: Linux 32-bit, English, Safari. I thought Safari was a Mac OS?

If I select any one of the 4 choices than the download now window becomes live but not until I select a version.

Please help if you can. Stan you out there?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

The package extensions you listed are the common format for different Linux distributions:

Yum is used by Suse

RPM is used by Redhat, Fedora and related distributions.

APT is used by Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and lots of other distributions based on Debian.

.tar.gz is a generic format.

Flash has never been properly supported on Linux and fortunately it is slowly fading away. Until html5 becomes the defacto standard, I prefer to use the Google Chrome browser. It has flash built in and appears to have fewer issues such as you describe.

I agree with you Dennis. Your TV probably uses a custom version of embedded Linux rather than a standard distribution, making this discussion purely academic.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Roger

I believe you are right. Until Samsung does a firmware update addressing the flash issue I do not believe we will be able to use the built in browser for live streaming on our Samsung smart TV's. Last Tuesday my sister won at her company's end of summer fest a new 65 inch 4K curved series 6 Samsung smart tv and she got the same message when she tried to live stream our church services from HI last Sunday.

Thanks for the reply.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Roger,

That's one of the reasons I prefer to buy dumb large screens and supplement them with Fire TV and Roku devices, that work with all TVs and can be replaced cheaply. I have both because my Roku 3 used an onscreen typing PITA input where Fire has the voice search. I originally bought the Roku because the BluRay player I used to use for my smart functions had Netflix which we subscribe to, but not Amazon Prime. So I got the Roku, and thought I'd sell it after I liked the Amazon Fire TV full size device not the stick. But it works great for the bedroom TV.

Dennis, I went a step further and decided I wanted a new device that gives me a full computer as well as a streaming device for my main TV. I found mini computers with tablet mobos and full 64 bit Windows and also can boot ANDROID! This is what I got when it was on sale for $95. However I have not been able to try it and as soon as I get into the new house and setup our computers, and multimedia, I will write a review. But these beat the capabilities of anything I've seen for three times the price if they work as I expect.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_142338.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I will,

It is a very nice looking package. Got the new 25KW Natural gas whole house backup genset installed today, along with the Automatic switch, and then tomorrow the plumbers come and hook up the gas and regulators, then I call Centerpoint Energy, and have the service upgraded to pounds at the meter and both the house and generator have their own pounds to ounces pressure regulators. Then I call the cable company and have them switch the cable and Internet from my RV to my house and soon thereafter I will have the house set up and the WiFi up and running and then I can go back to my Tech Toys. Give me a month.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dennis, I went a step further and decided I wanted a new device that gives me a full computer as well as a streaming device for my main TV. I found mini computers with tablet mobos and full 64 bit Windows and also can boot ANDROID!

I recently replaced my aging nettop (single core Atom at 1.6 GHz and 2 GB RAM) with an ECS Liva-X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501011&cm_re=liva-_-56-501-011-_-Product

I have seen sale prices around $75.00 and wonder how low the 1st Gen models will drop now that the 3rd Gen has been released.

This box runs linux and is on 24/7. In addition to being a file server, this machine runs a number of services including a MythTV backend. This provides all of the other devices on my network with streaming over the air TV and about 1000 movies I have ripped from DVD. It also works as a DVR. I prefer Kodi (previously XBMC) for the front end. About the only time we turn on the TV anymore is if we want to watch something on satellite. :D

It is really amazing how useful and capable these small computers can be!

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

RV

Are these wireless? Could I plug one via HDMI to each smart TV and then just use the IE browser in 8.1 to live stream our church services? What I do now that the built in Linux will no longer use flash is run a 15' HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV and change sources on the TV. I like that they are small, and cheap. I could place one behind both TV's and leave it there. Then I could hit the smart hub button and it would open right to my home page which I have set for New Hope as this is the only thing I use the internet option on the big screens for. Do they use a 2.4 or 5 GHz band?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Yes,

These are wireless and will connect to our wireless routers. They connect to the TV via HDMI and mine came with a Mini HDMI to full size HDMI cable. They are quad core newer systems than the dual core older Atom SoCs.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 7 months later...

Dennis,

I was researching for threads here that mentioned Kodi and saw that you'd asked me twice what brand of Natural gas Genset we got. It is a Generac 25kw unit and was refurbished by a local company with a two year warranty. It has a 4 cylinder water cooled Mitsubishi vehicle engine. It is much quieter than the air cooled 15kw Generac we had previously. It has already kept our power on through a 12 hour outage and it's almost night and day from my previous system which was marginal for our loads. This one is great.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived