Trailer Brake Hand Valve (Trolley Valve)

SuiteSuccess

Found me a trolley valve at truck salvage yard which I would like to install and tie into my Maxbrake to act as easily accessible slider control. Have looked at schematics on Resource Guide and Volvo e-media and am in over my head. Would anyone be willing to help walk me through the install at Hutch?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Depending on you "parking brake valve" it may be more complicated than you might think. You will need some airline a "T" fitting or two or three and access to the backside of your instrument panel. Someone just did this on a "Gen 1" truck. Don't recall if they reported back how it turned out and what was involved. Does it also matter where you have plumbed the air for your brake controller?

I just went thru this in Kamloops. On the Maxbrake unit I have there is a thin wire going thru the firewall to the engine compartment adjacent to the air manifold with the different colored hoses. My Maxbrake is mounted at the bottom of the console, left of the steering wheel assembly by my left knee. Hope you understand.

The tech said in my case the wire was so small, like telephone wire, he was hesitant about splicing into it. That was the problem. He suggested I replace that one with a model that had 2 ports on the back.

None of the HDT firms in this area are RV savy or really able to handle stuff like this.

If you are able to get an answer, I'd sure like to hear it. Using the dashmount trailer valve would be a lot easier.

Depending on you "parking brake valve" it may be more complicated than you might think. You will need some airline a "T" fitting or two or three and access to the backside of your instrument panel. Someone just did this on a "Gen 1" truck. Don't recall if they reported back how it turned out and what was involved. Does it also matter where you have plumbed the air for your brake controller?

My park brake manifold is a six port with a free "aux" port that my reading of the schematics may be the 3/8" supply to the trolley. The trolley itself has "supply, delivery, and exhaust ports". My MaxBrake transducer supply is from the 1/4" air supply that goes to the stoplight switch. My thinking is the trolley plumbed "normally" if applied would activate the Maxbrake just like the treadle brake. But I'm just not sure.

BTW I just changed out my dash park brake manifold so I am able to get into the dash and behind the instrument display fairly easily.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My park brake manifold is a six port with a free "aux" port that my reading of the schematics may be the 3/8" supply to the trolley. The trolley itself has "supply, delivery, and exhaust ports". My MaxBrake transducer supply is from the 1/4" air supply that goes to the stoplight switch. My thinking is the trolley plumbed "normally" if applied would activate the Maxbrake just like the treadle brake. But I'm just not sure.

BTW I just changed out my dash park brake manifold so I am able to get into the dash and behind the instrument display fairly easily.

It looks to me that as long as you plumb the Trailer Hand Valve Delivery line to the Tractor Protection valve, you would be plumbed for normal operation of the Trailer Hand Valve. The hard part will be in figuring where to plumb into the manifold.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

My MaxBrake transducer supply is from the 1/4" air supply that goes to the stoplight switch. My thinking is the trolley plumbed "normally" if applied would activate the Maxbrake just like the treadle brake.

A properly plumbed trolley valve applies pressure to the stop lamp switch when actuated, so yes, if you get the plumbing right, it's going to work as you expect.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks everyone. Still hoping someone will volunteer to look at the schematics with me at Hutch to be sure I'm doing things correctly. I'll do all the manual labor.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I went with the direct link. Works great.

I went with BluDot. Nothing to change at all in the truck. :)

(Yeah, I know that does not work for everyone....)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am confused. By trolley valve are you talking about the lever that actuates the trailer brakes?

I have heard it called "johnson bar" and as I have always called it "the trailer spike".

Johnson bar confuses me because we always called the lever that controls foreward and reverse on direct drive Cats the Johnson bar.

Are there semi trailer trucks that dont have a trailer control valve?

BTW. When I hooked up my maxbrake I plumbed the line into my trailer application gauge. Trailer brakes apply when I pull the "spike"

I am confused. By trolley valve are you talking about the lever that actuates the trailer brakes?

I have heard it called "johnson bar" and as I have always called it "the trailer spike".

Johnson bar confuses me because we always called the lever that controls foreward and reverse on direct drive Cats the Johnson bar.

Are there semi trailer trucks that dont have a trailer control valve?

BTW. When I hooked up my maxbrake I plumbed the line into my trailer application gauge. Trailer brakes apply when I pull the "spike"

That's what I'm calling the trolley. Have heard of it as trolley, Johnson Bar, trailer hand brake valve. I already have the Maxbrake installed and it works fine but, like Roger's, mine is mounted under the dash by my left knee. I really do not want it on top of the dash. The location it is in now would make it difficult to manipulate the slider bar if needed emergently. Thus if I had the trolley I could easily grab it and it would "act" like the slider. That was my intention. And in answer to you question, my truck did not come with a trailer brake hand control already installed.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Ronbo, I don't see any HDT networks supported on the DirecLink site I visited. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work properly on your truck ? I didn't think the vehicle computer knew anything about the air brakes unless the pressure was low , the brake switch actuated, or the traction control or ABS was doing its thing ??? Shows how little I know about the vehicles computers, I guess. ^_^ Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

They have a couple adapter cables. If it doesn't work on your rig they will give a full refund. I works great. The computer does have the brakes proportion info. Mine doesn't read the engine rpms so it will do to sleep after 5 min of the truck not moving. Brake application wakes it up. It doesn't affect operation as it doesn't go to sleep when the vehicle is rolling. It only does it when idling and not moving. As soon as I apply the brakes to place it in gear, the direct link wakes up. I don't even notice it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived