Update on Costco Cards

Velos

Good question. With the Amex card, you could use other Amex cards (we got a Blue shortly after the announcement and have used it a couple of times to see if it worked).

It IS a good question. We have an AMEX (not Costco) card that we use at Costco.

We also have VISA card (not Citi) that we hope we can use at Costco in the future..

Wonder where this will all end up next year.

Dave O

Vladimr

Some how I do not believe that is correct. The deal is not with Visa, the deal is with Citi Bank. Now just like today any Debit/Visa Card is usable at Costco and I am sure that will not change. However if you are going to want to "Charge It" and run a balance then you will need a Citi Visa Card otherwise cash/check or debit. Citi Bank is counting on X percentage of folks running a balance and paying interest.

Dennis

I agree with you.....but that is what the Seattle Times said in their article last spring.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Only if you are a fulltime RVer. See my previous reply to accumack...we are no longer fulltimers, so the USPS will NOT forward credit cards to our Escapees mail forwarding address during the period we're doing our snowbird thing.

Linda. Can you clear something up for me. When we receive new credit or updated credit cards, they are in a plain envelope and to not say anything like "New CC cards enclosed". I understand that we use Escapees but how would the USPS know the envelope contained your credit cards? Just trying to understand. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I read yes that you will be able to use any VISA card. It was in a newspaper article when the switch was announced. I am skeptical. But would be pleased if that was the case.

Even if that were the case, you would not collect Costco cash back with another VISA card,

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Linda. Can you clear something up for me. When we receive new credit or updated credit cards, they are in a plain envelope and to not say anything like "New CC cards enclosed". I understand that we use Escapees but how would the USPS know the envelope contained your credit cards? Just trying to understand. Hugs, Di

Because it was addressed to a address different than the Escapees address. They requested USPS forward to Escapees address. If the letter with the CC was sent directly to the Escapee address there would be no issue.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

No, the envelope won't say "credit card enclosed." However, it will have wording on it that directs the USPS not to forward it. I don't know if the wording is specifically "Do Not Forward" like Bill said, but it's certainly something similar.

If the letter with the CC was sent directly to the Escapee address there would be no issue.

And this is what I'm thinking of doing; i.e., changing the address on our Costco account (and perhaps our American Express account, even though the new card won't be an Amex card) to our Escapees address. Then, once the new credit card is received, I'll change the address back to our sticks and bricks address.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Di

I needed new Amex cards while out on the road this year and the Post Office didn't forward them, I had to call them when I realized the old ones were about to expire and they Fed Exed them to me in south Texas.

I too am thinking about changing our Costco and AmEX to my SKP address before leaving for the winter, along with a few other things we had trouble with the last couple years while traveling and having mail forwarded to our SKP address..

We have used the SKP mail service since 2000 and are considering continuing the convenience after we stop traveling.

The safety of knowing exactly when your mail will arrive and not having mail sitting in a mail box to let people know you are not home at any certain time provides peace of mind for little monies.

If the merchant accepts VISA, they must accept ANY VISA card. You will be able to use ANY VISA card at Costco. You will not be able to participate in any Costco cash back unless you use the CITI Costco branded card. This is the same as the current AMEX card. I do not have a Costco branded AMEX but I have used my AMEX Blue for years at Costco earning the usual 1% for "other" purchases. I intend to use my Amazon VISA and collect points on that.

FYI on Citi! I recently opened a Citi cc thru Home Depot because they offered a 10% discount on your first purchase which was a $5,000 flooring installation! . I thought it also included a 6 month free interest promotion. I intended to pay it off before the 6 month period was over. However, on the 3rd bill I noted the interest charge (should have noted it sooner) and looked at the rate! It was 25% (actually a little more but less then 26%). I inquired and found out there was no 6 month free of interest. I immediately paid it off.

My other cards run between 10 and 15% or at least last time I looked. We do not maintain a balance on any of them. The highest is the Cap ! GM card which i only use a few months each year to earn my $500 GM points. It normally takes about 3 months then I put it back in the drawer and leave home without it!

We are looking at buying a new car by end of the year and with $3800 in GM points guess who we will look at first! But, we may end up with a gently used newer used car, time will tell!

All of this is to say if you carry a balance look at the Costo Citi cc carefully and hopefully you will not carry a balance on it!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

FYI on Citi! I recently opened a Citi cc thru Home Depot .... looked at the rate! It was 25% (actually a little more but less then 26%).

It depends on the Citi card you have. We have a Citi Mastercard which has an APR of 8.74% for regular purchases (the APR on advances is 25.24%).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 3 months later...

Just went to Costco in Arizona yesterday and asked about my AMX card, they said it won't be good after March 31st 2016 and that I would have to get a new Costco card at the customer service desk before then to continue shopping there. There was no mention about a "Costco Visa Card" being issued. Not to say that they won't come up with something later. Executive members still earn cash back no matter how they pay:

http://www.costco.com/executive-rewards.html

I also have a Sam's Club Card and they now accept American Express Cards at their warehouses. .

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/01/sams-club-amex/

I have received several offers from AMX for their "everyday" cards with no annual fees.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/

I use my Visa Debit card at Costco currently. I hadn't been a member for many years when they only accepted Discover. Renewed this year as I don't have a Bj's where I winter now. As long as you have a current membership card you can use any debit card. I use my Master Card debit on occasion too.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Every other source says you will automatically get the Visa card from Costco. The exceptions are if the new issuer, Citi, somehow does not want you due to credit or past issues.

The latest update is http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/leaked-details-of-the-new-citibank-issued-costco-card/.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill Joyce, on 22 Dec 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

Every other source says you will automatically get the Visa card from Costco.

That's the same thing I've read...AND information I've received directly from Costco (in the mail, not a person behind the Customer Service counter who may, or may not, know what they're talking about).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Every other source says you will automatically get the Visa card from Costco. The exceptions are if the new issuer, Citi, somehow does not want you due to credit or past issues.

The latest update is http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/leaked-details-of-the-new-citibank-issued-costco-card/.

Thanks for the article link.

Archived