Researching to go fulltime

cbg72273

To make this short.... You will continue to do your research and choose what you feel is best for you at that time..However, after spending some time in your choice you may decide that you want to trade up or down. Most on here will tell you that they are not in their original rigs.

Purchase that which is in your budget at this time and move up or down as needed.

I agree. The good thing is that we are in no hurry to make a decision. We are looking to hit the road fulltime in about 10-12 months. We will be visiting dealers and shows in the coming months and continue to do our homework. We are grateful to have access to this forum and those on it who are who share their knowledge.

Chris & Brenda

Two Peas In A Pod

Thank you all. Your insight and advice is very much appreciated. Getting a used RV was not in our planning but some of you have made me want to take a look at it. I always worry about mechanical "surprises", but i guess with a used one the bugs are all shaken out by the time I get it. After reading your comments a 5er may be a choice. I guess getting a used pick up and RV might be better on our wallet. As far as expenses, we don't need restaurant meals everyday. It would be nice a couple of times a month but we plan to eat in the RV. Our apartment rent is $925 + water + electric + trash + cable + + +. With some preliminary rough calculations I know we can afford going full time. Just got to figure out what we'll be travelling in. One more question, 5er or TT? And why?

Without a doubt a 5er! Here are several key reasons why:

1. It tows SO much easier than a TT (when those diesel trucks go zooming by at 90MPH, they create a vortex that is a *horrible* sensation when towing a TT. With a 5er it like "wow that truck is rolling! I didn't even notice until he was in front of us!
  2. 5ers have tons more room than TT. This is critical when full timing. Also, there are brands of 5ers that are specifically made for the full time RVer.
  3. Your truck is your TOAD. Speaking of a Truck, get a diesel. Really. Mileage is much better than a gasser, and a diesel is not really broken in until @ 110K miles

Now on to what to get. Several different thought streams here - buy used high end 5er, buy used truck or buy new. Anne-Marie are in the buy new camp, so your mileage may vary on the following advice.

• Your Truck. If you buy new, with an appropriate warranty, you absolutely positively know that everything that can go wrong with the truck will be covered for 100K miles - and you can even get extended warranties for a diesel out to 150K.

• Your truck is what we like to call "our TV & Entertainment Room" It is from the pilot & co-pilot's seats that you will see the world! This is why you are full timing - to see the USA/Canada/Alaska/Mexico and all the lower 48! There will be times your butt will be "in your TV recliner" for 6 hours a day, 5-7 days at a stretch. (Especially if, like us, you will be driving to Alaska!) This translates into a need for creature comforts. So, DO NOT skimp on your truck.

• Your 5er. Again, we are in the buy new camp. We are not in the buy new high end camp though. After a lot of research, we have found the Forest River Brand to give you the best bang for your buck. They are crazy serious about quality control and if you order your 5er from the factory (vs one off the dealer's lot) you can request your unit be sent to the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) facility before it is delivered to your dealer. Without being too long winded, the PDI tests your rig in a variety of simulated climates, waterproofness, and every electrical circuit is tested - it is an exhaustive procedure that takes between 8-12 hours.

So what model 5er? Here is where we have had a interesting turn of events. We were without a doubt going to order a Cardinal 3450RL. Then, at the Forest River International Rally this year we got a factory tour of the Vengeance "Crossover Luxury" 5er. The Vengeance line is a specialized 5er called a "Toy Hauler," and WOW were we impressed - talk about even MORE storage space and...the issue of how to transport our Pedego Electric Bikes, and where to store our golf clubs+push carts was solved AND, if we wanted to, we could even fit a street legal side by side ATV** in the back "Garage!" Plus, in this type of 5er, the back door to the garage folds down to form a covered deck. Even better there are models that have a covered side deck as well! In addition, the interior appointments weer every bit as nice as in the Cardinal. To us, this was a dream setup for full timing!

The added advantage of a "Toy Hauler" is that it is a triple axel reinforced frame (toy haulers are designed to boondock--this means they are designed to take a beating.) Something you (nor us!) will be doing when we fulltime, but it is nice to know that the suspension, frame, and components will be over-engineered for our needs! Here is a link to the Vengeance Toy Hauler

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=218&Image=5040&Tab=1

I think what really impressed us about the Vengeance was the plant visit. The plant is a low-rate production facility that is focused more on quality than quantity. The team at the plant also is VERY innovative and open to suggestions from their customer base! We were privileged to be shown a prototype unit that will fit our needs perfectly! Unfortunately it is not ready for production yet, so we will have to wait until probably early 2016 to pick up our retirement casa.

One final comment about Forest River writ large - this is why we are so enthusiastic about the brand: Every year Forest River hosts a rally in Goshen, IN. At the rally, they offer free seminars lead by their senior technicians on every aspect of RV owner maintenance, operation, and ownership. Where Forest River really hits the ball out of the park is this key area: FREE MAINTENANCE! Forest River will fix for free any safety related issue with your unit (even if you are not the original owner) and discretionary repairs as well (I have seen them replace whole slide outs and roofs!)

Personal Experience: We went to the rally this year with our Rockwood 8289 5er. It was determined our ODS Wall was delaminating. We could not stay after the rally to have the wall replaced, so Forest River sent a driver to our home in AL, picked up the 5er, took it to the factory in Middlebury, IL (where it is ATM) and, after running it through the PDI facility (and fixing anything THEY find), will deliver our 5er back to us in Alabama! Awesome customer service!

Name one other RV manufacturer at this price point that does this! This is why we are Forest River Owners For Life!

** in case you are wondering about the ATV - it is a great small vehicle, perfect for going to the store, and touring the area you are visiting--and at 40+MPG is is very inexpensive to operate! :)

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Archived