Toad Battery Dead

SWharton

We are new to MH and toad towing. The toad is a Honda CRV. We have installed everything, including the charge line but our battery after 2 days of towing is dead. DH checked everything out(electrical engineer) and it looks fine. Ended up buying a new battery since this one may have died a natural death. It was OEM and 3 years old but there was no place on the battery that had a date.

The only question we have is how much charge should be coming through the charge line from the MH? It is a small wire so not much but we can't find any documentation on this. Anyone know?

We are using a Ready Brute Elite as our braking system.

I want to get an additional solar charger just to be sure.

Most toads need to have a fuse pulled to unpower many of the accessories that can drain the battery.

A charge line is not going to keep the battery up but it should come close to supplying enough power to compensate what the brake unit is using.

But it looks like a Ready Brake Elite is a surge brake mounted on the tow bar which should use no electricity. So I would expect that just having the key in the ulocked position is powering too many things.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

My 2003 CRV did just fine with the old 5amp toad charge. It was direct wired to my chassie batteries so would also charge overnight if need be. The newer ones I believe are 10amp. Never had to pull a fuse but I did make sure radio, AC, and all were set to off. The newer CRVs probably have more hidden parasite loads. Post your toad details for more responses. Doubt solar is an option for this application. Good luck.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

A solar charger connected to your cigarette lighter will help a little . The bigger the better...within reason. if you can upgrade the charge wire to a larger wire for less voltage drop that would help as well. Try to measure the voltage on the charge wire with the MH running and see what you have. You need 13 to 14 volts going into your battery to charge and at least 12.8 to maintain.

One thing that a lot of people dont know is that once in a while it is a very good thing to connect your vehicle battery to a good quality battery charger overnight and get it fully charged. Many vehicles that are used for short distances do not have fully charged batteries and that shortens their life.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

2013 CR-v, In 2015 got to new park and battery was dead, Got towed to battery place. New battery installed. Next morning battery was dead. Was leaving to come home. Got jump. Disconnected battery. Took it in to Honda. They fixed something to do with the Computer. No more problems. Happened to me could be what is wrong with yours.

Wayne

2002 Mountain Aire DP 4064, 2013 CR-V Blue Ox tow bar Baseplate Light Kit

RoadMaster BrakeMaster supplemental braking
MotoSat MD500. House in Los Lunas, NM

We just stopped at Camping World(not our favorite place) and asked for a Roadmaster Fusemaster. Miracle, they had one and it was actually hanging up. Everything I have read over the last few days indicates a too small battery and the draw being too much when in accessory and towing. Not happy with the price but if it solves the problem that is fine. No problem getting jump starts, just an aggravation. Next time we get a new battery we will see if we can fit a Group 24 vs 51.

This problem seems to be fairly common for the Honda CRV.

Archived