Ac leaks water when raining

Ronbo

I have 2 dometic ac's although the outside cover says coleman mach. When it rains I get water blowing inside the grill. I have taken it apart outside. When I removed the motor with fans attached, the plastic tray where the blower fan rides had water sitting in it. It is obviously getting water leaking into it from some place. I reassembled and sealed the top good with tape. Next rain I had water once again blowing into the bedroom. My rv is flat roof front to back so no ac mounted at an angle. There are no drains on this assembly and if there were it would drain the water onto the styrofoam insulation under the plastic blower housing. Water runs off the roof and any plugged drains would not affect this area, it is above that area.

Any ideas?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

The drain holes ( you do have them) are plugged. The increased humidity in the air is overwhelming the drains when running the Ac in rainy conditions.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The inner tray is solid and has no drain holes. This is after the evaporator. This is from rain water leaking in. I have run the ac in 98 percent humidity with no water inside. Enough water runs off the roof to take a shower. If this plastic pan had holes it would be ducking in warm air end would not let the rain water drain out. This is not condensate, it is rain water.

Also this last time we weren't running the ac, only the fan, no condensate generated.

Ron C.

Check the A/C to ceiling mounting bolts for "snugness" and also take a look at the "seal" between the roof and the A/C base.

Sometimes if the mounting bolts get tightened down wrong it squeezes the seal too much and you need to replace it.

If you need to tighten the bolts do so just enough that it starts to compress the seal.

I have checked the seal. I have taken the grill off and run it. When I removed the blower motor the plastic tray it rides in had water in it. The water comes in through the vent with the air, not around where the ac is mounted. This is away from the evaporator and above where the Dean water goes. It is about 6 inches above the roof. It is defiantly rain leakage.

Ron C.

We had this problem and never could fix it. Rain had no worse effect though. Just high humidity. Water could accumulate in coil tray same as you are describing. If you get leakage from atmosphere, sucking in outside air, it will over wheal the drain. Best seal we could get helped but didn't stop it. We replaced unit. Problem solved. New unit better designed. That should not be your problem as you have lot newer unit. I suspect bring in outside air.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I taped all the joints. Right now we just turn it off when it rains. If I replace it it will be with a heat pump unit. I heard there are new blades for both sides that are quieter. I may call the company and see what they have to say.

Ron C.

Archived