Wheel Refinishing

RandyA

After singling the Volvo several years ago I gave one of our HDT group one of my take-off wheels from the power divider axle and recently put two aluminum wheels and tires on Craig's List. I kept #4 thinking I would eventually start a refinishing project. The two on Craig's list were sold to a young man that had the rim lathe cut so he could mount 22" low profile tires with the intent of putting them on a Dodge PU. He brought them by with new tires mounted for me to see last week and they were beautiful - just like mirrors. He wanted to buy my #4 wheel, but rather than take cash we cut a deal where he would refinish the two front wheels on my Volvo in exchange for the remaining aluminum wheel I had kept.

He came over to my house where we jacked the front up and removed the front wheels. He spent a full day working on each of my front wheels - two days and about 20 hours total time. He started out sanding out all the pits and scratches with dry 240 grit paper on a 5" DA and then going back with wet 400 grit. Next was a lot of cutting and polishing with different compounds and buffs then a final hand polishing with a Zepher finishing product. It was more work than I would ever devote to the project - actually more than he thought it would take but he is a perfectionist and stuck to our deal. He wants to do this full time and hopes to buy a machine from an outfit in Canada that will hold and turn a wheel to reduce time. He has a good work ethic and I hope he makes his new business venture work. He did express an interest in coming to one of our ECR events.

The wheels now look new with a mirror like finish. No pits or scratches. The center caps and nut covers are chrome plastic and were not part of his refinishing work.

polished%20wheel%20-%20Copy.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Very nice.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm taking mine in today to Knoxville to have my wheels polished on the VIS robotic wheel polisher. I'll get before and after PIX. Mine are in pretty bad shape.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

The guy I drive for just bought an "Aussie Rim Shine" machine (www.aussierimshine.com). Polishes wheels on or off the truck. He will be doing them here in the Baltimore area for around $65/wheel

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Now have three potential wheel polishers for the ECR. Guess we'll see who's still interested in April. With Bronco's help I'm hopefully purchasing materials and supplies today or tomorrow to try to do this on my own truck. Since retirement have some time on my hands.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Would love to have such nice looking wheels. What about the backside.

It would seem to be easier to keep things clean if that part was polished too.

Do the machines get inside the spokes and also do the backs ?

Any bets Randy was busy touching things up while the wheels were off, heck,

I will bet he even painted the brake drums. :)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Dave - I had cleaned and painted the brake drums (very rusty) some time back. What I did NOT do was paint the Centramatic balancers before putting the wheels back on. I am now wishing I had painted them black. Brandon thought the Centramatics would look good red behind the holes but I don't belong to that generation's taste in wheels.

No, he did not polish the inside of the wheel. But, he cleaned all of the dirt and grease off with a Scotch Brite pad and ZEP purple cleaner. As for the holes they were fine sanded with a flap wheel on a drill that fit the holes then hand sanded with #400 wet paper then polished with a hard cotton buff.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Thursday I took my truck in to Knoxville and had my wheels polished in the VIS robotic wheel polisher. WOW what a difference!

Before

20150910_100916_zpsklhc0fcd.jpg

20150910_100847_zpsjro5d9xu.jpg

After

20150910_180218_zpslgvktdbh.jpg

20150910_180207_zps707us6oe.jpg

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Steve, what was the cost per wheel, if you don't mind me asking

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Steve, what was the cost per wheel, if you don't mind me asking

Cost was $85 a wheel. $70 if I had them off the truck. To me, it was worth it. I have had polishers at truck stops with hand polishers do them before, but never looked this good and only lasted a few weeks until they were back to being dull and pitted again.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

The look great Steve. Considering how much time Brandon spent on my wheels I agree that $85 a wheel is a good price. He did my two wheels for what amounted to a value $150 for the wheel I gave him.

Dirty tires and dull rims are like putting on a new suit with dirty shoes. The wheels do make the truck look better.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to spray mine with clear coat power coating then bake it on. And see how that holds up. Will take longer to take them all off the tires then to spray them and then bake the clear on.

Pete

Pete, I have clear coated rims on my fiver and had clear coated rims on my car. While the clear coat looks good when new it will eventually succumb to gravel, sand and road grit scratches and chips. I took the clear coat off my car rims and polished them (spokes are silver argent) and now occasionally clean them to a bright shine with wadding polish. I am going to have to strip my fiver wheels if I want them to look nice. I tried doing this on a spare wheel but the clear was impervious to paint remover. I figure the only way I am going to strip them is to go at them with the sand blaster that works with my pressure washer. Just saying that the clear - even 2 stage high solids polyurethane or power coat will eventually chip and scratch, then it is a bi**h to get it off.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

I don't know if the "clear" on the wheels is the same as the coating on motorcycle engine parts, but if so, try a product called "Aircraft Remover". I have a spray can of it, and I believe it also comes as a liquid you brush on.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived