RV house batteries

bodar

There are a lot of good brands, Trojan, Surrette and the like but if Sam's, Costco or the like have a true deep cycle RV battery that fits your rig I'd say go with that one at the much lower cost.

What type battery do you need, voltage and size, for your rig? Someone will likely have a link to something good.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley we had Interstate SRM-24 deep cell batteries with a 12-14 month guarantee that lasted 16 months. Honestly, we just don't understand why the battery mfgs have become so stingy with their warranties.

We have been out and about today and Interstate only guarantees their batteries now for 12 months.

Sears only 12 months versus the 4 year guarantee we had on the DieHard that lasted for over 6 years.

Finally we found Les Schwab which has a 36 month guarantee for $119.00 each. We guess that will be our choice this time.

Short warranties on sealed batteries makes sense to the manufacturer as even a slight amount of overcharging can really shorten their lives. Flooded (refillable) batteries usually get a bit longer warranty as do the more expensive AGM types mentioned above.

Being cheap and willing to keep them watered I like the flooded type, at some point in life I'm going to get lazy enough to go with something like an AGM.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I have the Interstate's. Wet cell golf cart 6-volt. I did the mineral oil trick to them and now the gassing is kept to a minimum with no more mess. Very little adding of distilled water.

You can pour some mineral oil into each cell on a flooded battery, it is supposed to reduce water use. There is a company called Thermoil or something similar that sold batteries that came that way. Google turned up the Thermoil info, http://www.thermoil.com/about/ which sounds interesting. I don't know either way but I do know in all the years I was RVing I saw one set of the Thermoil batteries.

I have never done it to a flooded battery myself as I worry about getting warranty service if the dealer sees the oil, it makes taking the specific gravity of the cells a lot more aggravating and I worry about what happens when the electrolyte and oil slosh during travel and the oil gets on the plates. If I'd had water use issues I might have tried it to save a battery after I had exhausted the more conventional remedies but they always worked for me.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I've had mine done for 3 years now and no problems. The oil floats well above the plates. No more adding as much water as I used to and the battery tops stay nice and clean. My batteries are way past any available warranty so I don't worry about that.

The battery needs 12oz of mineral oil.

That equals 4oz per cell for 6v and 2oz per cell for 12v. (I only did my 6v ones not the 12v) My 12v ones don't gas like the 6v ones.

I drew out the electrolyte to the top of the cells with a turkey baster and saved it in a container. I then added 4oz of oil to each cell. I then finished by topping off the cells with the left over electrolyte. Has worked good for me and a lot of others that I've heard.

Archived