Want to fulltime when I retire

rollindowntheroad

Hello to All!

I just signed up to this forum. I want to full time when I retire in 3 years. I just can't make up my mind as to what to do it in. I have been researching the various RV's; MH, 5'vers, and TT's. My first preference would be a motorhome. I really would prefer not to have to buy a big truck to pull a 5'ver or TT. I don't plan on traveling a lot, maybe move only every 1 to 2 months. From what I've seen and heard so far is that it is not good for a MH to sit for periods of time. But what is considered "periods of time". I live in Florida and right now only see myself moving to different locations every month or two staying in Florida. My daughter currently lives in Wisconsin and may make a trip there to spend some time with her, providing she doesn't move here before I retire.

I live close to Lazy Days in Tampa, FL so have made many trips to see what they have, viewed and sat in many floor plans. I am thinking I would only need something in the 30' - 35' range. It is just me. Which brings me to another question or concern - what is going to be the easiest to handle as far a set-up, hooking and unhooking, etc., etc., etc.

I am sure that I will have far many more questions. I am looking forward to learning from everyone's knowledge and experience.

Thanks.

Larry

Our motorhome sits several months each winter. Doesn't hurt it. Just remember, once you turn the key, run it for 30 minutes or more at normal speeds so that everything gets lubricated. Lots of people only move monthly. We love our motorhome, have been fulltiming for 9 years, glad we have it. Love having a small toad for a daily driver. Park the motorhome and go exploring with the car in a 75' mile radius works for us.

Best suggestion, read the blogs of fulltimers - you'll find links in their signature lines. That way you will see all of the different ways that fulltimers fulltime. There is no 'right' way.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Larry, Welcome to the forum. Choosing the best type of RV is a very personal decision. Whats best for me may not be best for you. Many of us who waited til retirement to go fulltime, already had years of experience as part time RV'ers in many different RV's. If you haven't had any experience then its just a matter of trying out several types, be honest with yourself about your personal preferences and understand how you will use it. Lazy Days is a great dealer with a good assortment to shop around. The only mistake you can make is basing your choice on what someone else prefers or what the salesman prefers. Its similar to picking a sticks ^ bricks house, we all have our own view of whats the perfect house.

As far as letting it sit for a couple months, that's really not a problem in my opinion. I happen to have 3 RV's and only use one at a time, so mine sit for 6 months at a time. The big concern is running the engine occasionally, keeping the weight off the tires by using the leveling jacks, and keeping UV off the tires by covering them. As far as setup & hookup, we have this debate here quite often, I happen to think getting unhooked & setup is much easier & quicker with my motorhome & toad vs my big truck & 5'er, but others here will insist their 5'er is easier & quicker. The deciding factor, in my opinion, is whether you buy a high end 5'er with a builtin auto leveling system (or add an aftermarket auto leveling sys). Like you I'm a solo traveler and without an assistant, I think that also makes the big truck & 5'er unhooking & setup more time consuming.

In summary, its all mostly personal preference & personal opinion. There are thousands of folks here who prefer a motorhome, and thousands who prefer a 5'er, and a few using travel trailers. They're all happy with their choice and some change from one type or the other to a new type during their fulltime years.

Jim

We once chose a place to stay for five months in a motorhome. During that time we drove it to another town have service performed mostly to keep things lubricated and to be able to exercise the generator without irritating neighbors. We drove it another time to exercise the generator as well. The generator likes to run under load for at least 30 minutes once a month which we prefer to do by driving with the A/C on. We decided to risk every other month during that summer since we wanted to be welcomed back to that park if we decided to return there. So, if you plan to move every month or so you should have no problems living in a motorhome since that appears to be what you prefer.

Linda Sand

edited for typo

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I Full time and my MH spends 7 months a year sitting in SE Florida about 280 miles south of you. It has done that for the 13 years I have had it. Hasn't seemed to cause any problem. I never start it doing that time except when I do some engine or chassis maintenance.

I do all my own maintenance on it. And the last couple years it has sit without starting or moving for 3 months during the summer in IL.

In fact today I just moved 158 miles from that spot to IN. and Friday I will be moving 70 miles for 10 days(my Sons) before heading back to FL.

The 7 months spent in FL I fill diesel tank full and add stabilizer to it. Put 20% more air in the tires then I use for its weight when traveling and then cover them.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I to am a solo Full-Timer. Started Sept 1st of this year. The reason I bought a used MH was the cost. If you buy a 5th wheel, and a big truck to pull it with your going to spend a lot more. Trucks aren't cheap either. Just put the pencil to the paper and do some figuring. I went with a 30 footer because you can get into more State & National Parks. Good Luck.

Captain Happy

It makes no difference what you prefer, get what you want. Welcome to a lifestyle that resonated with our military traveling lifestyle as brats when younger, and then doing our own 27 years. We have truly lived all over the country and world. But working we missed all the lagniappe, that something extra, that comes with time to explore and travel. We finally visited the Alamo after being stationed in San Antonio twice for a total of five years. We all take for granted that the local sights we can always see, we will see later, and many don't. Fulltiming gives the chance to make that time. Sure glad we hiked Exit glacier and did the Grand Canyon while young enough to walk down and make it back.

In fulltiming the key isn't the number of exceptionally gratifying moments. It is being able to recognize and experience them when they happen.

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Some of the people who say motorhome if you move and 5th wheel if you park are volunteering or working at campgrounds where they routinely park their motorhomes for several months. We have parked 4-6 months at a time for that same reason for 4 1/2 year now. So far it hasn't hurt anything that we know of. We do exercise the generator and do regular maintenence to keep things in good shape.

Pat DeJong

....and another assuring you that leaving a motorhome sit isn't going to hurt it. However, don't think that while you're sitting you can just turn the key and let it run for 10 minutes or so and it'll be good for it. That's not the case. Letting it sit is much better than letting it run while parked. When you move in 1-2 months it'll get the proper running that it should. Good luck in your selection!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate all the information that you have provided about MH sitting. I wanted to make sure that letting it sit for a month or two then driving it a couple hundred miles or so to my next location would be damaging to it. On another forum I had joined I was told the opposite, so it gets kind of confusing.

As stated my thinking right now would be to be stationary for a month or two then relocate, but who knows my thinking may change when it comes time to actually do this.

Again, Thank you!

Archived