Gel Coat? Clear Coat?

I have a 2000 Itasca with a fiberglass roof. It has a white smooth service. I had an old rig that had a fiber glass roof and it looked like fiberglass and it also got fibers on my legs when I crawled over it.

My question is I read about Gel Coat and wonder is this what the white smooth surface is? is that what runs off my roof? Is it suppose to do this? Can I scrub it too much? Am I suppose to seal it with wax or some other product like Zip? Will it always run down the sides? Is the Gel Coat suppose to be self cleaning?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Gel Coat is the shiny surface on fiberglass. It is very thin and it is was makes fiberglass waterproof. I.e. nicks in the gelcoat will be places for water to invade the fiberglass.

What runs off you roof is the sediment from the atmosphere. What you clean off when you wash your roof.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Sorry, I beg to differ. The crap in the air is not white, that's the gelcoat "chalking" just like boat hulls (which are vertical and do not get "sediment").

I have a FG roof, and had the "milk" running down the back. I scrubbed it, and put on a coat of auto body clear (activated). 2 years later, it peeled & the milk was back. Last year, I sanded it with 180 and applied gelcoat with activator, no problem since. If you're going to do gelcoat, you better do uppers, or a gallon of coffee or Red Bull. You got's to work FAST!

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Gel coat is not 'ON' fiberglass it is actually in or a part of the fiberglass 'construction'. It is applied to the form prior to the fiberglass/resin being applied. How much Gel coat is used will vary between manufacturers. High end builders will apply enough that a light sanding 'shouldn't' be an issue. However others are rather mean when it comes to Gel coat application and you can quickly sand through to the fibers. Not good idea.

The best solution to the 'powdering' is a good clean and a clear coat of some form put over the top.

regards

Gel coat is not 'ON' fiberglass it is actually in or a part of the fiberglass 'construction'. It is applied to the form prior to the fiberglass/resin being applied. How much Gel coat is used will vary between manufacturers. High end builders will apply enough that a light sanding 'shouldn't' be an issue. However others are rather mean when it comes to Gel coat application and you can quickly sand through to the fibers. Not good idea.

The best solution to the 'powdering' is a good clean and a clear coat of some form put over the top.

A clear coat of what?

regards

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

A clear coat of what?

regards

I personally prefer Zep wet look floor finish. It's easily applied without any special equipment or skill although a thorough stripping of the surface with a strong cleaner is necessary. It's a very thin polyurethane, in effect a clear coat when several coats are applied. It is easily removed with Zep floor stripper if you should need to do so in the future, and, if my experience is any indication, will last for several years before needing reapplication.

Rich

Archived