Preparing to full time in the cold ?

Fun2travel

My husband is considering taking a job that would require us to live in Washington, DC for a year. We sold our home and planned to pull out in our fifth wheel in another 2 weeks and head south for the winter.

We are considering this opportunity. I wonder about living in that area over the winter. Any comments on what we would need to do to the fifth wheel to prepare for the cold? Our fifth wheel is a landmark with the Yeti package.

Any thoughts on what it might be like to live in the RV in the winter months?

It is pretty expensive to keep a rv warm in the winter. You will go thru a lot of propane for the furnace and will also need some type of auxilary heat like a small electric heater. I don't know how cold it gets there, but we are from MI and would never attempt a winter. We go south and have been in temps as low as 19 down south. Not a warm and cozy situation and we have dual pane windows and some insulation, heated water bay etc.

If it is 32 or below, you will also need to worry about water lines and tanks, ice maker possibly freezing.

I would much rather be in an apartment that in a rv unless normal temps are above 40.

Pat DeJong

Personally, I would not live in an RV in the winter in DC. You may not find any campgrounds open all winter. Then the issues of water and sewer lines freezing.

If you do decide to pursue this adventure, make sure you get a true 4 seasons well insulated trailer. Look at trailers like DRV (Mobile Suites), New Horizons, SpaceCraft, NUWA HitchHiker, Excel.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Personally, I would not live in an RV in the winter in DC. You may not find any campgrounds open all winter. Then the issues of water and sewer lines freezing.

If you do decide to pursue this adventure, make sure you get a true 4 seasons well insulated trailer. Look at trailers like DRV (Mobile Suites), New Horizons, SpaceCraft, NUWA HitchHiker, Excel.

Ken

Campgrounds in DC?

Maybe in Virginia.

From the OP's post - it appears they *already have* a 5th wheel.

(IMO) the apartment *outside* of DC (Virginia) would be a good plan - close to the DC rail line/s.

There is Cherry Hill park on north side, five minutes from Metro, then there is a campground in Virginia called Pohick Bay that is closer to 10-15 minutes away from Metro.

I know staying in the RV isn't the best scenario, I just hate to park it in storage. We kind of like it ;-)

I was just looking for advice on how to make it happen, or if it is really not a good idea, I need to know that too. I'd hate to cause a lot of problems with the fifth wheel. We do have the Yeti pkg and double pane windows.

Archived