To tin or not

Jim Corey

Needed to replace the 30 amp plug on our power cord. Cable was pulling out of molded plug. The replacement plug made no mention of tinning the leads. In time past, I would have, but got good contact with twisted wire on the plug blade clamp. Since I have another to do on the extension cord, what's best?

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

Tinning makes the exposed wire hard and will not mold to the clamp for maximum surface area contact.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Gotta agree with Mark.....I tinned mine on a 50A a while back and didn't like the results. With that said, a little dielectric grease on the wires at the clamp area wouldn't hurt. My Camco 50A male end didn't mention any thing about tinning. I found a great You Tube video on how to do the job later. Check it out. rockin'

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

The problem with tinning is if the connection does start getting hot due to load, the tin will soften and allow the connection to get lose, making things worse. Most, if not all electrical connectors are designed to have the copper strands clean and bare under the screw connections. If the connection is exposed to a corrosive environment, it wouldn't hurt to use a little conductive grease, such as NO OX ID, on the connection.

At our huge Naval facility where I designed and we had several different in house or contractor electricians over the years, I never specified nor did the electricians tin stranded copper wire leads for use in such fixtures. There were instances where we might use a crimp on connector followed up by soldering and then heat shrink tubing to cover it all up, but that's obviously different then placing bare stranded copper wire under a screw. Deep down buried in some or our spec sheets it may have called for torque values even, but that's something I didn't call out on my drawings. Not sure what, if anything, UL or NEC has to say, its been too long and my code book is DUSTY lol

FWIW in our shop our electricians DID NOT tin leads for use in those type of fixtures. Yall do as you please if you think one way is best over another.

John T Too long retired EE

. Deep down buried in some or our spec sheets it may have called for torque values even, but that's something I didn't call out on my drawings. Not sure what, if anything, UL or NEC has to say, its been too long and my code book is DUSTY lol

Per Camco, 25 in/pounds. Or, as I did it, good and tight. A.ll strands under the clamp.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

I'd also open the plug back up after a couple weeks of use and re-torque the clamp screws. Only takes a minute and a tight screw is a happy screw, not a melted sparky one.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I tinned the wires when hooking up a Progressive Industries EMS on our last trailer. One evening I smelled that hot electrical smell, opened up the EMS unit, and found scorched connections. When I called Progressive Industries the very first question they asked me was if I had tinned the wires. They told me that a large stranded conductor like that shouldn't be tinned, as it interferes with the wire conforming to the clamped connection in the EMS unit.

Lesson learned!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Unless the installation instructions indicate that the wires should be tinned, (which is very unusual these days), it's best to just leave them be. The compression plates that are used inside the connector help to spread the pressure out over the strands and will work fine if the conductors are clean and the proper torque is applied.

Tom - KK8M. MI Licensed Journeyman Electrician (35 years), ISA Level 2 Instrumentation Technician, UL Certified Solar Installer.

Tinned wire also has a tendency to weaken at the transition point from tinned to bare with movement of the wire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived