Internet scam or what?

KandJBm

This morning I went to a web site that I often use and just as I got there all of a sudden it gets replaced with a "chat" type page where someone from "Certified PC Techs" asks me (by by name) to call 855-529-0081 because my computer is infected. I did not call and in a few seconds it again asked me to call. I didn't call and then it types in "Are you there?" I didn't call. It then said the tech was offline. I xed out of the page.

Any clues?

I just ran Security Essential full scan last night! It reported no problems, but it always reports that !

Also a few days ago I started getting, in the lower right portion of the screen, video commercials labeled "Mail checker advertisement." This has happened about three times in two days. I can x out of them. It just happened while first writing this post. One was asking if I wanted to download a new browser! No identification about the source of this "wonderful opportunity."

I just uninstalled "Mail Checker" How it got on my computer I don't know. Still wondering about the chat room take over!

Definitely a hacker. The typical scheme is to get you to install a remote control/access app on your computer so they can "help" you remotely. They then can steal any banking or other personal info on your computer.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Good information shared on this web site.

Thanks!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Mine did the same sort of things a few weeks ago. Only mine was the dreaded one thay tried to call its self a Microsoft security. It literally would not let me cancel it. Fortunately we are near our daughter whose Hubby owns a computer business. His techs took the laptop and got rid of it. They told me it was the one that if you click it the hacker has control and wants a huge ransom to release it.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Please share how you got infected? really scared of this as not totally computer literate. Any advice as to how to take precautions against this ? and which antivirus do you use? Appreciate your suggestions

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

KC If your using Internet Explorer; Windows Defender works well! With Google I used McAfee. I now have installed Linux Mint Mate 17.2 on my older Gateway Win/8 computer and use Mozilla Firefox and DuckDuckGo for my search engine. Linux is suppose to be safer against viruses. I am going to download malwarebytes and check it!!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Please share how you got infected? really scared of this as not totally computer literate. Any advice as to how to take precautions against this ? and which antivirus do you use? Appreciate your suggestions

I wouldn't call it infected with a virus. We tried to use something called "Mail Checker" which was promoted at out high school reunion web page as a way to be notified of emails from friends to the schools web site. The download of Mail Checker didn't seem to go right and we thought we didn't have it on our computer. But the next day (I think) we started getting little video ads by Mail Checker in the lower right portion of our screen which could be "X" out of. The real pain and scary thing was when a web page would be taken over by an announcement that our computer was at risk and we should call a telephone number. Two different types of these things popped up a couple of times each. I did a system restore and have not had any problems since. I am guessing this was done by a company, not a virus, without and ethical notions about how to make money for a real service.

Pin Task Manager to your task bar. Anytime you have anything unexpected happen just one click on the Task Manager Icon in the task bar brings it up and then assuming you left it on "Processes" then all you have to do is click on your browser that is being used, and once highlighted click on "End Process" at the lower right side of the Task Manager screen. That's the same as unplugging the modem cable. Then run your malware scanner, and reboot if nothing is found as the RAM may still contain malware. Then run a second scanner, I use Malwarebytes Premium (MB) but free is good too. Malwarebytes Pro is the only real time malware scanner that can be used with a main anti malware program. I use Defender and MB on my Windows 8/8.1/10 systems. On my last two Windows 7 machines I use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and MB.

Pin Task Manager to the task bar and practice highlighting your browser and ending it. Also remember if you see something running amok in the task Manager then end that task too, then reboot as soon as all that is trying to interfere is ended. Then run scans.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived