Live under a rv cover?

Rhapsody

I think about living in my C Class Chevy Shasta for a couple of weeks, maybe months. Rain season in the Northwest is about to begin, and I was wondering if I could cover my rv with a fitting cover and still live in it. I will not use gas for the heater (neither for water nor for heating the interior) but only an electrical fan heater (rv will be plugged in and have power). No exhaust, no hot parts that shouldn't be covered. Also, it has a zipper door, so I am able to get in and out without any problems.

:unsure:

Has anyone tried that? I am mostly worried about air humidity getting too high and mildew building up. Also, what can I do about puddles building up on top of the rv cover? Thanks for any advice! :)

(Yes, I read a similar post somewhere deep in the threads, but the biggest concern was about exhaust from water heater and heating system. That's no factor here.)

I live in mine 24/7 and it never has been covered for the 13 years I have owned it.

Covered may make the OTA & Dish antennas useless. It also may interfere with the roof vent caps for the holding tanks and refrigerator vent cover.

OH!!! the MH is 16 years old with the OEM rubber roof and no leaks.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

It would be like living in a cave...no view out any window or light coming in! I couldn't do it...I would soon feel claustrophobic! I don't understand where you're coming from that you feel you need to have a cover over your RV while living in it? Rain isn't going to hurt your RV.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Well, I didn't live in mine. But I had it covered for the winter and used it to run my astronomical observatory remotely from the trailer.

I was in there at night and so the darkness was not an issue. As others have mentioned the moisture buildup would definitely be an issue.

Your only way of venting the RV would be the door. Speaking of which, make sure the cover has a cut-out for the door. It was really horrible to get in and out with the cover on the 5th wheel.

Heating was a real issue since the clear nights meant also cold!! Many times the 5th wheel was in the 30's when I went inside. I needed the large heating buddy setup to heat it up and on real cold nights the trailer never got above 50 degrees. I kept TWO carbon monoxide detectors on all the time while I was in there. After four or five hours the CO detectors would still be 30, but I did not think it felt "right". A small electric heater was not enough to warm up the trailer.

I never used it in windy, weather since our clear nights always came on still nights in winter. However, I would imagine that slapping of the cover on the trailer would keep you awake at night.

My recommendation as others have said.....leave the cover off if your living in it. You will be much happier. Fix all the roof leaks BEFORE winter!!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

It would be like living in a cave...no view out any window or light coming in! I couldn't do it...I would soon feel claustrophobic! I don't understand where you're coming from that you feel you need to have a cover over your RV while living in it? Rain isn't going to hurt your RV.

I cover ours when not in use. And it is dark and gloomy inside. The cover is a "breathable" Adco cover. It keeps the pollen, dust and whatnot off. Plus I put a blue tarp over the top - large enough to drape over the edges - this to prevent water accumulating.

In winter, it can rain, then freeze. Moisture can freeze which expands as it turns to ice - I don't want moisture to penetrate any of the "sealed" areas on the roof.

That is how a leak can develop.

Your mileage may vary.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I wouldn't do it that way. I will be building an RV metal RV carport/cover with panels coming down half the Western facing side, and 1/3 down the Eastern side. If you don't own your own place to set it up there are temporary shelters too. We are talking in the $1500- $3500 range here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I wouldn't do it, but the question about water pooling up: A couple of beach balls, basket balls, etc under the cover might work. It works under slide-out awnings just fine.

. Also, what can I do about puddles building up on top of the rv cover? Thanks for any advice! :)

Dan - SKP club member

Archived