Side income for FT workampers

aziamaiza

Hey guys

We're happy to have nailed down a position at a very nice RV resort in Mesa, AZ this winter and there may be opportunity, particularly as we get into the peak season, to add some paid work. However, in the meantime, I'm considering ways to add a few shekels on the side. One idea would be to sell some kind of product (excluding food or baked goods) at the sales fair that the park holds weekly.

Aside from the hassle of getting state and local sales licences, the question remains;

What product to pitch to the 55+ crowd (which includes moi although I don't consider myself a typical 55+ consumer)?

Does anyone have any experience here or suggestions? TIA

Jerky, light keeps for months and if it doesn't sell you get to eat more jerky! Several brands used to have programs for small resellers and a friend put out a table at every spot he could, made good money at it too. Wife was less than amused when he started doing it at potty stops until she looked in the till.

Nuts, drive down to Arizona Nut House at Picacho Peak (nut store) and buy a big bag of several types, re-bag and sell. If you want more money buy a nut sheller and also sell shelled nuts for a bit more money. You might even look to resell some of their nut crackers if you can get a deal on them that will let you beat Amazon and ebay prices.

Poli-Grip as a sideline to either/both of the above. :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you are crafty you can try that. I know a lady who makes and sells Native American crafts. They take longer to make than they do to sell. You just need a Native American costume to hawk them in and a business card with an Indian sounding name, like "runs with scissors." B)

Chip

Jerky, light keeps for months and if it doesn't sell you get to eat more jerky! Several brands used to have programs for small resellers and a friend put out a table at every spot he could, made good money at it too. Wife was less than amused when he started doing it at potty stops until she looked in the till.

Nuts, drive down to Arizona Nut House at Picacho Peak (nut store) and buy a big bag of several types, re-bag and sell. If you want more money buy a nut sheller and also sell shelled nuts for a bit more money. You might even look to resell some of their nut crackers if you can get a deal on them that will let you beat Amazon and ebay prices.

Poli-Grip as a sideline to either/both of the above. :-)

Jerky sounds like a great idea.. I've already got a call in to Jerky Junction and will look for more wholesalers.

Nuts, good also ......but I have a deplorable tendency to binge eat these things between meals.

Poli-grip :P yes......

Muchas gracias

If you are crafty you can try that. I know a lady who makes and sells Native American crafts. They take longer to make than they do to sell. You just need a Native American costume to hawk them in and a business card with an Indian sounding name, like "runs with scissors." B)

Chip

Thanx.

Currently working with a guy who resold Native Indian items at quite a volume. He tells me that you've got to know your vendors well and the field is littered with fakes and knock offs. With jewellery and such like I'm sure there's a great mark up but personally I don't really understand things that I can't eat or use. :(

We winter at a large park in Mesa. In past years there was a produce seller at the weekly market. He was gone this past year. It left a real void amongst the winter residents. For many, he was one of the primary reasons why folks attended the "country store" weekly market. He would package his product to sell for 50 cents, dollar, etc. rather than by weight. It was a very quick transaction to buy. I would think you could buy produce at one of the area wholesalers or make a deal with Superstition Market or someone similar that deals in low cost produce. A significant amount of good produce is tossed or substantially reduced in price because it is not "cosmetically perfect". The food is nutritionally excellent but may be too big or small or could have grown "mis-shaped".

Another idea would be to go to the Mesa swap meet and see if there is a product line there that is popular but not represented at the weekly market at the rv park. Make a deal to buy wholesale from the swap meet vendor so you have a source of supply and not have a lot of capital invested. The swap meet vendor could benefit from increased volume to make his/her product buy minimums.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

We winter at a large park in Mesa. In past years there was a produce seller at the weekly market. He was gone this past year. It left a real void amongst the winter residents. For many, he was one of the primary reasons why folks attended the "country store" weekly market. He would package his product to sell for 50 cents, dollar, etc. rather than by weight. It was a very quick transaction to buy. I would think you could buy produce at one of the area wholesalers or make a deal with Superstition Market or someone similar that deals in low cost produce. A significant amount of good produce is tossed or substantially reduced in price because it is not "cosmetically perfect". The food is nutritionally excellent but may be too big or small or could have grown "mis-shaped".

Another idea would be to go to the Mesa swap meet and see if there is a product line there that is popular but not represented at the weekly market at the rv park. Make a deal to buy wholesale from the swap meet vendor so you have a source of supply and not have a lot of capital invested. The swap meet vendor could benefit from increased volume to make his/her product buy minimums.

We'll be at Mesa Regal and there's a produce market across the road. Their stuff is generally cheap and - on the whole - good but it usually doesn't keep too long.

The Mesa swap meet is a good idea. Thanx.

The jerky connection again.....will drop you a line.

I hope you received the messsage reply I sent you yesterday.

I apologize for being elusive here. There's nothing secretive about it. But posting business info that personally benefits the poster is sometimes seen as spam. And, of course we bnefit as our business grows -- that's how business works.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

I hope you received the messsage reply I sent you yesterday.

I apologize for being elusive here. There's nothing secretive about it. But posting business info that personally benefits the poster is sometimes seen as spam. And, of course we bnefit as our business grows -- that's how business works.

Yes, I received your message and apologize for not replying sooner but our RV lost power last night (probably the converter, possibly a relay switch, hopefully not a squirrel.

Spent the morning charging the battery, took it into the shop but the "master electrician" - ho hum, wasn't available till Weds. Thus my mind has shifted back into survival mode for now.

Will review later. Thank you.

I'm

Archived