how to replace duct work on coleman basement a/c unit

wildmandmc

have 2000 itasca horizon, dp. duct work needs some repair. if i were to replace it, does the whole unit have to come out., i tried but can't get my hands in some of the sections. to duct tape it

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I am not sure about a Coleman but I just had a fellow parked next to me that had an Itasca DP that had duct problems and he said Winnebago had to take off his back cap to get to it? Seems like that might be easer than taking out the basement air?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Wildman,

I have a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom. IF (big if) yours is anything like mine, the AC unit drops out the bottom. But dropping the unit doesn't give you access to much of the duct work.

There is an elbow/adapter on the bottom of the duct that is fastened to the AC unit with a few screws and you will have to remove that "elbow" before dropping the unit. You can do that from underneath the coach. Alternatively, mine had two screws holding this elbow to the duct about six inches up the elbow but that whole duct/elbow was wrapped in insulating material making the screws very hard to locate..

If your repair is higher up on the duct work, the rear cap will probably need to be pulled as noted earlier..

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I found a pretty informative PDF on this site of my rig. If you can find yours I think it will show you the pieces and parts of your back cap and your duck work.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/submenu/2000.htm

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I re-taped broken seams in the ductwork, by reaching through the engine grill opening. I used a piece of 1x2 about 3' long to press the metal duct tape over the broken corners/seams. I had to use several short pieces of metal tape instead of long pieces. It isn't pretty, but it sealed the ductwork without removing the cap.

This thread is quite informative if you care to read it through.

If you need to remove the basement unit, here is a thread-with pictures-explaining in detail, how to remove and replace the basement A/C unit.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 6 months later...

Archived