Auto Setting For Air Conditioner

chuckbear

The front unit of my Coleman Mach series 13.5 BTU Air condiitioner will no longer work in the Automatic setting. It switches to what appears to be hi cool, even when I set the thermostat to 90. Any thoughts? Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

My first thought is to inspect the wiring connections for corrosion, loose, broken, etc.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have 3 settings used on our thermostat to operate the AC normally. Cool, off, or Heat , Fan speed Hi or Lo, and Fan on or auto. The normal settings are

Cool/ Hi/ Auto. We have found that with the sun heating up the outside wall where the thermostat is located, sometimes it is 75 inside, but we have to turn the thermostat up to 90 or above to get the AC to shut off. Once the sun moves past the point where it's shining under the awning and on the outside wall, the thermostat and A/C become more accurate as far as temps and the unit running.

Pat DeJong

I'd try a new thermostat. Our rear AC came on and ran fine, but wouldn't shut off when set temp was reached, only when we used the "off" position. Looking inside the thermostat for loose wires, corrosion etc, it looked like brand new inside, there wasn't even any dust. DH took a long shot and replaced the thermostat and it works just fine now. Try the inexpensive solutions first.

Pat DeJong

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the thermistor is shot in the stat. Buy a new one, because there are a LOT that are only available as lots of at least 5000.

If I knew what that is, I sure might replace it. Of course if I were an expert with air conditioners, I wouldn't need to ask questions. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Any electronic temp control has a thermistor. Basically it change either voltage or resistance dependant upon tempurature. If you pull the cover off and take the clearest pic possible, I can circle it in a graphics program for you. Here is a typical generic one:http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_207037_-1

This is actually one of the big ones. lol That head is the size of a nitro pill.

EDIT: If you can solder, it'd easy-peasy to replace. The problem is figuring out the correct value.

SECOND EDIT: Actually, just replace the stat. This could happen if you hook the wrong one up....http://youtu.be/77ARIvt9RrE

Chuck, I have the same control unit in mine and have also started having a problem with the slide that controls the front AC...my problem is a little different, in that the lever or contact the lever operates must be wearing out and when I put it in the off position the little green light shows it to be still on. I can wiggle it a little and it goes off but I foresee the problem getting worse. I posed the question in another forum (on this board) of how easy it was to just replace the whole thermostat as a unit and most replied that it was a fairly easy job...that is probably what I will do when I find one that will take its place...I am also a member of the Discovery Owners Assc. and their forums are extremely helpful for just about any problem...I will post the problem on there and see what kind of results I get...I'm pretty sure we arent the only ones with problems with that control unit wearing out. I will be glad to pass along any thing I find out from the other forum.

Chuck, I have the same control unit in mine and have also started having a problem with the slide that controls the front AC...my problem is a little different, in that the lever or contact the lever operates must be wearing out and when I put it in the off position the little green light shows it to be still on. I can wiggle it a little and it goes off but I foresee the problem getting worse. I posed the question in another forum (on this board) of how easy it was to just replace the whole thermostat as a unit and most replied that it was a fairly easy job...that is probably what I will do when I find one that will take its place...I am also a member of the Discovery Owners Assc. and their forums are extremely helpful for just about any problem...I will post the problem on there and see what kind of results I get...I'm pretty sure we arent the only ones with problems with that control unit wearing out. I will be glad to pass along any thing I find out from the other forum.

I've noticed the same issue with ours, but for now, it's not a problem. The light stays on but the unit switches off and if I move the slide just a little, it goes off. I did swap the front and back sensors and the issue moved with it. So for now, I have ordered a replacement sensor for the front unit. Once it arrives, I will replace it and see if that solves my problem. A complete replacement might be down the road but I'm hoping this will fix things for now. I'll let everyone know. Chuck

Archived