Big Diesel - What is it?

RandyA

Recently spotted this. Appears to be a big V12 diesel, maybe 20 to 24L - but from what? Big boat or ship? Military? Maybe a big generator or earth mover engine? Just curious if any of the historic diesel crowd can ID the monster. Wonder if I could make it fit into a Volvo? :)

engine_1.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

First blush, genset. Need more views to give more input.

Back had a bell housing. Appeared to have a clutch disc that could accept a big splined shaft. Could be a genset but the generator is missing. Gray color, not too far from Norfolk, VA, Radiator tank looks like a toilet tank. Cooling pipes are common iron threaded. I'm thinking more like military surplus - maybe Navy? Bet my pocket change it is heading to scrap metal. Still, it is an interesting beast. Thought the gang would enjoy seeing and guessing - maybe someone will even know.

Steve - Do you think they may have misspelled MACK?

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

It could have been driving a marine drive system, a pump, a generator, etc. It appears to have a close coupled speed increaser/reducer and an external cooling system. The water pump is driven from the front of the engine (lower right corner). If it was marine use, it would have had a water cooled exhaust as well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Well, I can say with some certainty that the paint is Navy gray. My 2 cents is on Ocean Going Tug equipment, either a genset or a drawworks power unit.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

It is not a diesel. There are ignition coils and plug wires run for each cylinder. Probably natural gas or LP gas fueled.

And that is the engine cooling water pump on the lower right front of the engine. The big tank, front center is the coolant expansion tank.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I would say it is oil field equipment, driving a gas compressor or crude pump, because it looks like it has ignition coils. I thought marine use at first, right size for medium size boat propulsion, and the wiring was for pyrometers, but i have never seen that cylinder at the end of the wire on any marine engine in 21 years in marine business. And the wires go into the heads. No other need for a wire in the head but for ignition, at least on an older engine. Marine engines almost never use gas fuel, and only with lots of extra equipment.

Still not sure if those are ignition coils, theres nothing feeding them. For gas, they use some kind of glow plug ignitor i believe.

The exhaust manifold is insulated like on a marine engine, but the engine looks like it is mounted to the skid, which would not be the case for a marine engine.

I say oil field use until proven otherwise.

Looks like 1800-2000 hp. Big for a truck, dinky next to a 14 cyl 120,000 hp slow speed on a container ship.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I think that is a Climax v12 engine. The markings on the exhaust manifold look the same as pictures of a Climax manifold. Only the last three letters are visible, the others are hidden by the 2 blue items.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Climax1.jpg

I believe Star Dreamer is correct. I found this pic online. A few less cylinders but otherwise the same type of animal.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Archived