Do dealers think we are all stupid?

Kiltedpig

Are automobile dealers any different?

With all the tools we have available on the net and other sources, no one should ever be taken advantage of.

Caveat emptor

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Yep, you have to be very careful as the buyer. You will find lots of RVs where the owner is upside-down or underwater on the value. They paid more than they should, financed too long and now it is worth less than they owe. These folks need a reality check.

You can go to NADA Guides and Kelly Blue Book. On NADA, what I see is that the RVs sell at LOW RETAIL with no options added. Many of the add-on items are actually included in base price and by adding them you get an artificially inflated value.

You can also have your bank check the loan value of the RV.

AS other have said, asking price is not the final sale price. Dealers love to get the novice in there and have them with stars in their eyes and pay full price.

Have fun shopping.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

For a dealer, it will never hurt to low ball them. For a private sale, you need to be careful. You may hurt some feelings.

For a dealer, offer them a price and be prepared to walk away. Make sure they have you phone number They will probably call back with a better offer.

We had made an offer on a car, years back and the dealer would not accept it. Next day, I was out car shopping and made a deal at a different dealer. I called home to tell my wife and she had just got a call from the first dealer and they were willing to accept my deal. Called them back and told them too late, should have made the deal when I was there.

So just shop and you will find what you want...or at least a better deal.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Yes, auto dealers are different. Not backing them up but all new cars and trucks come with window sticker showing the MSRP on the basic vehicle and options. It is a federal deal. RV manufactures are not required to do this and of course most don't. People need to be price savey when dealing with RV dealers. In my opinion only, RV dealers have gone well below used car dealers in unscrupulous sales tactics.

Looking for a 3 or 4 year old 5th wheel and I see ads that are over current list price for a new one. I guess there are people who pay what the dealer posts but this is just crazy.

Thread title:

Do dealers think we are all stupid?" -

Very likely.

PT Barnam wasn't really the source responsible for the "one born every minute" quote,

but that doesn't matter to dealers/salespersons..

In the post:

"I guess there are people who pay what the dealer posts but this is just crazy".

Crazy or not - they do.

It's called - "gotta have it now".

"Crazy?"

Those dealers & salespersons need to be reminded of a few famous quotes, by Earl "Madman" Muntz -

Muntz TVs: "I want to give 'em away, but Mrs. Muntz won't let me.... she's crazy!".

Muntz cars: "I buy 'em retail and sell 'em wholesale.....it's more fun that way!"....... :)

BTW - MSRP on cars & trucks is so much "fluff" - it's as big a joke as the MSRP *not* on the majority of RVs.... :(

Being on the market for a motorhome at the present time I find the shopping experience "interesting". Of course, I understand how dealers price motorhomes. I also understand how private sellers overvalue their equipment by using the fake NADA listings for them. The published NADA values are pure hogwash. No dealer would ever use them, and dealers use a book that is COMPLETELY different than the online NADA values. It is not the same thing at all.

So not only are private sellers often upside down on their equipment, AND they paid too much to start with relative to what the wholesale value is.....BUT on resale they value them so high (and will not come down) that I can literally buy a new coach for less than they want, in MANY cases. So there is no sense looking for a 2-3 year old motorhome in the category I want. I'm far better off buying new.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A friend of mine retired as Service Manager for a large local car dealer that also carries a large inventory of RV's. When I was kinda looking he told me that this dealership could take 40% off the supposed MSRP of their RV's and still make money. So yes, most dealers think the public is stupid.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Guest THE TRAILERKING

A friend of mine retired as Service Manager for a large local car dealer that also carries a large inventory of RV's. When I was kinda looking he told me that this dealership could take 40% off the supposed MSRP of their RV's and still make money. So yes, most dealers think the public is stupid.

Joe

x2 on that....

My amateur observation is that most people who buy cars or RV's don't make much effort to become informed. They just want to know "how much per month". This is pretty much the same attitude they had about buying a house, and since the fed was guaranteeing mortgages and the lenders didn't care we had a "housing crisis".

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Can't swear to this as fact, but an ex Sales Manager from a dealership once told me the the best time to shop for any vehicle, used or new is at the very end of the month, or end of the quarter...

They really want their numbers to be good at those times...

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Being on the market for a motorhome at the present time I find the shopping experience "interesting". Of course, I understand how dealers price motorhomes. I also understand how private sellers overvalue their equipment by using the fake NADA listings for them. The published NADA values are pure hogwash. No dealer would ever use them, and dealers use a book that is COMPLETELY different than the online NADA values. It is not the same thing at all.

So not only are private sellers often upside down on their equipment, AND they paid too much to start with relative to what the wholesale value is.....BUT on resale they value them so high (and will not come down) that I can literally buy a new coach for less than they want, in MANY cases. So there is no sense looking for a 2-3 year old motorhome in the category I want. I'm far better off buying new.

Astute observations!

And -

Jack........looking for a - MOTORHOME ????

Considering a move to CA? (ROTFL).. :rolleyes:

Wife and I sold RV's at our local Rv show for a few years for several different dealers. Of course we knew what the bottom line price was on every model we sold. No dealer or salesperson expects the buyer to pay the listed price on a RV however....Scenario.. A customer walks up to a RV walks through it asks a couple of questions and says We will take it no question on the listed price. What do you do.?????

I have said before the least educated person on the purchase of a RV is the buyer.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Whoa!! Now that got my attention. Jack interested in buying a motorhome? Who would have thought? Good luck on your search Jack. I know what ever it is that it will be very nice and what you want. Times and needs change as life goes on and that's what life is all about.

I don't know why but it just surprised me.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

The same thing for almost everything we buy. Most folks like to think they got a good buy. A good example could be the growth of the on line retailers. Many have put a real hurting on local store front sales for almost everything we buy. Most buyers should be aware of what they are buying and for what price. Do your research!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Dave we are not getting RID of our 5er. We are just adding a small Mh to the "fleet". Great for side trips where the big rig is not "optimal", and we will take it to Alaska.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

A good place to start for used prices are the auction sheets from motor vehicle auction locations that handle RV's. How much the bank will loan frequently takes that number into sccount. One thing that muddies the water are the mind boggling numbers of combinations of models and options out there.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff brings up a point I want to stress.

Dealers NEVER, EVER give you any money at tredein for any option or add-on to an RV. They may say they are, but in reality the numbers used do not count any "options". And you should not either when buying used either from a private party or from a dealer.

www.jackdanmayer.com

This ol "country boy" finds the following to be present

There are ALWAYS three (3) prices involved in an RV sale...... At least from the seller's perspective!

There is the "WANTIN" price

the "ASKIN" price

and ultimately the

"GITTIN" price

There are only two kinds of people in the world.....Those who think they can, and those who think they cannot. They are both right!

Dealers NEVER, EVER give you any money at tredein for any option or add-on to an RV. They may say they are, but in reality the numbers used do not count any "options". And you should not either when buying used either from a private party or from a dealer.

We had a dealer get bit by this. They never looked at our trade-in. We asked them to but they said no. So after we left the lot with our new RV, they finally took our previous one in and discovered we'd removed the jack-knife sofa and replaced it with a built in twin -sized bed. They were not happy when they discovered it would cost them about $1000 to replace that sofa. Then they advertised it for sale without mentioning the massive solar system we had installed. Someone got a good deal.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Dave we are not getting RID of our 5er. We are just adding a small Mh to the "fleet". Great for side trips where the big rig is not "optimal", and we will take it to Alaska.

Wow, you got me on that one. Good luck on your find and as I always say...........have fun!

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Archived