if not Volvo then what

GlennWest

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very hard to know which way to jump. I had an older International, I much prefer the newer Volvo. I have a good one, no emissions problems at all (touch wood). One thing to watch on the Ishift at least is the VERY expensive oil change at 500,000 miles. I had to fork out for that one as the 500k service hadn't been done when I bought it.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Glenn - re 350hp C12 - the C12 and C13 ratings are all parameter sets - no component changes. A CAT truck engine dealer will charge maybe an hour to change the parameters. C12's were rated up to 1650lbs-ft and 425 hp in truck applications. C13's up to 425 hp 1550-1750 multi-torque. Advertised ratings are at 2000 or 2100 rpm. These engines actually produce more hp at 1500 rpm.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Anyone know what year Cat got egr?

In theory, ACERT was going to allow Cat to avoid EGR. It didn't entirely work out that way, but they got it much later than the others. The EPA 04 engines (the "Bridge" and pre-EPA 07 ACERT engines) have no EGR valves.

I believe that what Noteven said about the C12 is correct regarding upgradability via a change in the Personality Module (reflashing the ECM), but there are limitations. If you can find a truck with a 2KS C12, they can be uprated without restriction to a maximum of 430 HP (actually 445 peak HP, but Cat used the available HP at peak torque as the advertised HP, not the actual peak HP) and 1650 lb/ft of torque. That's the engine that I have in my T2000 (mine is actually set at 380/1450 in the first eight gears and 430/1650 in the top four), and it's pulled my 23,000+ lb. Teton very well. If those trucks have "Bridge" C12s (MBF, if I'm not mistaken), those are not upgradable, I don't believe, unless something has changed, since Caterpillar agreed that those engines couldn't be uprated from their original configuration in order to get EPA approval to sell the non-compliant engines in return for paying a per-engine fine. You're probably better off with an ACERT C13 than a "Bridge" C12, since it can be uprated.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Please do your research on the ACERT motors if you are considering one. We were not happy with what we saw when we were looking and we believe that is why CAT got out of the OTR market.

Our pickup was rated at 330hp so 350hp would not be a big enough change in our mind with a heavier and bigger tow vehicle.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Glenn,

Maybe a little engine / mass math might bring some thing into focus......or .....maybe confuse more........

Consider the Dollytrolley is a old freightliner Centuury with a itty-bitty M11 Cummins 370 / 1350 lb / 10 speed std road ranger / 3:08 tandem, 24.5 tires..........a old freight dog......

Trolley weighs 21,750 lbs full fuel, driver, and 20ft garage box , and including 1,100 hitch wt and our little 30 ft toybox is 8,800 so our all-up wt is 30,550 lb

Consider :

Trolley 30,550 lb mass / 1350 lb Torque = 16.11 lbs of mass activated by each pound of Tq. (22.63 lb m / 1 lb t)

Trolley 30,550 lb mass / 370 HP = 82.57 lb mass per HP (82.57 lb m / 1 HP)

Consider larger HDT rig

Assume 15- 16 L engine (525 HP / 1750 lb Tq) truck at 25,000 lbs large 5th at 25,000 lbs all-up wt 50,000

Big rig 50,000 lbs mass / 1750 tq = 28.57 mass activated by each pound of Tq. (28.57 lb m / 1 lb t)

Big rig 50,000 lbs mass / 525 HP = 95.24 mass per HP (95.24 lb m / 1 HP)

The moderate mass of the Dollytrolley still allows the Triolley run with or even pass some of the Big-Dogs........

Lots of thing come into play to complete the performance potential of a RV combo HP & Torque is just the start so it is a bit of a puzzle but we are happy with a modest rig and moderate mass gives us all the performance we need.

As for the trannys ............a auto-tranny is likely best for most RV applications and likely better for resale in the RV market.

Being a geezer I grew up with too many gear manuals so I don't mind mixing gears and the upkeep is simple.

In the steep curvy roads I enjoy floating the gears that I want and then looking ahead for the next power selection sorta makes the game more fun.

Maybe the math is a start but at the end of the day it's best to try different combos to see what you like........

Drive on............(Lets see........am I in 7th....or 9th......) :)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I have a C12 with 430/1650 and it doesn't impress me like everyone told me it would. The Dodge pulls the trailer up the same 9% hill at least 10 mph faster, but the Pete was at least 6k heavier than the Dodge at the time and the Dodge probably puts 450-475hp at the flywheel with less drivetrain hp loss.

Things are quiet and done without strain in the HDT, so no comparison there.....

If your Duramax is still stock power wise, you probably won't be disappointed with 350-430HP in an HDT. I think I just get used to anything and feel a 5-600HP diesel pickup makes a pretty nice daily driver!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I have a C12 with 430/1650 and it doesn't impress me like everyone told me it would. The Dodge pulls the trailer up the same 9% hill at least 10 mph faster, but the Pete was at least 6k heavier than the Dodge at the time and the Dodge probably puts 450-475hp at the flywheel with less drivetrain hp loss.

Things are quiet and done without strain in the HDT, so no comparison there.....

If your Duramax is still stock power wise, you probably won't be disappointed with 350-430HP in an HDT. I think I just get used to anything and feel a 5-600HP diesel pickup makes a pretty nice daily driver!

If your Dodge tows better up a hill than the Cat I would be looking at something on that truck. Boost sensor, or something. I know so little about newer trucks but it should out tow your Dodge with ease.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have read a lot on here about autoshift. All I have read say if you put it in neutral at stoplight it takes time for the computer to get you going. People will be blowing horn. That is why my statement. If this is incorrect, I apologize.

Not true if things are adjusted properly. You should be able to clutch and go within half a second.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If your Dodge tows better up a hill than the Cat I would be looking at something on that truck. Boost sensor, or something. I know so little about newer trucks but it should out tow your Dodge with ease.

Dodge has over 100 rwhp more than the Pete AND it's 6,000lbs lighter. HP is a measurement of how fast work gets done...... The Pete gets it rolling faster though.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a rarely bought air clutch assist option on the T6/T8 that you'll never find on a used truck but could probably be added if pedal stiffness is an issue. It is probably overly expensive to buy and I know is a major pain in the neck to install but it is a possibility should you end up with a clutch pedal.

I have one 1YN C12 truck that doesn't get used much in the midst of all my new stuff. It takes me at least half a day to get good & efficient at driving it again if it hasn't been used in awhile. She's quite a bit different than the new VG stuff. A little piece of me will die when she's gotta to go.... :( Trucks just aren't like that anymore.

Archived