if not Volvo then what

GlennWest

Why do I never see any of these fancy Petebilts from Lonestar haulers? Clearly they get the RV or Horsey bunch. Lots of bling in the cab, 4 doors instead of a cave back aft, better visibility, brighter etc. The 330's are 8.5 L, I think but the 385 or 387's would have enough power.

• Is the cab noisy,
  • shifts poorly,
  • poor ride?
  • Can they be converted to carry a Smart?
  • Too pricey?

The Mack I got into in Kamloops had a pushbutton shifter. The owner said he never touched it when driving.

The IH I took part of my CDL on had a terrible transmission, it would jerk when throttle was applied and slam into the pin. Whether that was a factor of poor maintenance I don't know. The whole truck was poorly maintained, batteries corroded, lights not working, fuel always below 1/4 tank +++

In Calgary most of the haulers are FL's, probably due to FL's major presence in the area and they "get it" as far as RV and Horse circuit folks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you may downshift but it will go up hills ok?

When you downshift, you multiply the engine torque by a bigger number, just as a truck with a numerically higher rear end ratio does. Your RPM goes up for a given vehicle speed. You will be maintaining or reducing vehicle speed, but you will get up the hill. (eventually). The shape of the torque curve

(flat preferred) and the area under it is what you feel, and is a large piece of the performance.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Ok. How well does a c10 or c12 pull the hills? That's the bottom line.

Too many variables in that question to give an answer of any value. Define "hill". Define end speed desired at top of previously defined hill. Need to use given weight of total unit in the calculation. A Cat C-10, with 1350 lb-ft of torque will pull a lighter load easily, a moderate load moderately well, and will struggle with a heavy load. This engine produces peak torque @ 1200 rpm, so screaming up the hill isn't really an option. The C-12 puts out 1550 lb-ft @ the same rpm, and will pull harder.Our N 14 Cummins is tuned to 385 hp/1350 lb-ft, and we're running a hair over 34 k lbs. We've run N-S several times, following the Rockies, and have crossed most of the E-W passes in Canada. We have yet to feel the need for a "laptop tune-up", to raise to the max ratings of 525 hp/ 1850 lb-ft. I'm still working, following a similar schedule to yourselves, and need to make miles when I need to make them.

Edit to add: The big time saver with this truck is refueling when I want, not when the truck wants. I keep it full when parked, so that we can leave at a moments notice, and pile on big miles. Then, when we get re-settled, I fill when I want to.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Either I have the plague or I'm assuming too much. So here I try again. We intend to carry a Smart on a steel bed on our HDT and tow our 20kish Teton. The c12 listed is 350hp. That concerned me. I have been seeing mostly 400ish hp. Should this concern me? Also is it advisable to turn the power up at a Cat dealer?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, here is my opinion based on 12 years fulltiming with a tractor. Always with a rig as heavy or heavier than yours. Now, quite a bit heavier, but my current truck is high powered.

The minimum I feel gives you comfort in the mountains with our setups (yours and mine) is 400hp/1450 torque. My ISM was running that with an autoshift and it was fine in the flats and underpowered in the mountains - the Rockies is what I mean. Anything less simply would not cut it. Yes, you would get there. Eventually.

That is just MY opinion. Others may disagree. The fact is, that ANY of the trucks will get you there. But is does not cost you more to buy the "right" thing first.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

20 years ago a truck with a mechanical 425HP 15L Cat and 13 speed was king of the hill when it came to drivelines, today it's still plenty of power to go just about anywhere you want to go in a timely fashion. The newer higher power engines are the result of electronic engine management systems to reduce emissions and have allowed for better fuel management by using feedback monitoring to instantly adjust the engine for maximum combustion performance. Any engine will only make maximum power when it is required either acceleration from a stop or pulling a up long grade any other time you are only using the power required to maintain speed (part throttle, 95% of the time). The question is do you need to go up every hill at the posted speed limit in high gear or can you live with downshifting 1 or 2 gears and going over the top at 55 instead or 65 mph

Those trucks are already factory single. That is a plus. diff should be rated higher. Singling not that expensive but is a hassle of time for me. That is what makes them interesting.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

no 3 pedal. A manual is less clutch use than an autoshift. Don't have to hold down clutch at stoplight.

Why would you need to hold the clutch any different than a manual? They both have a Neutral position, both take similar time to engage a gear from a released clutch. Wait...an AutoShift is just a manual box with a brain and air servos attached.

I understand the clutch avoidance, but don't blame an AutoShift for more clutch use.

Please e-mail us here.

I have read a lot on here about autoshift. All I have read say if you put it in neutral at stoplight it takes time for the computer to get you going. People will be blowing horn. That is why my statement. If this is incorrect, I apologize.

My 2006 T600 has the C13 cat in it. Cat says it was spec'd to 396 hp 1450 lbs of torque. I'm not full time and I don't travel out west but in the mountains of the east coast I've had no issues pulling up the hill. Now coming down is not my favorite because my truck has no Jake installed. I have the actuator housing, just need to add the actuators and a couple switches and get it reprogrammed. My trailer weight is around 15k and I pass all the trucks while cars pass me on the hills. One thing of note is the petes and the kw's all have 400 gallon fuel capacities. I like that I carry so much fuel but it does add to the weight of the truck. My truck full of fuel with me in it weights 18k. Feel free to pm je with any specific questions you might have about my T600.

I believe the ACERT line came out in 2004, with the was the first EGR engines for Cat. By '08 they'd exited the on-road market. The ACERT have been both praised for power, and cursed for repair costs and frequency.

Please e-mail us here.

I have read a lot on here about autoshift. All I have read say if you put it in neutral at stoplight it takes time for the computer to get you going. People will be blowing horn. That is why my statement. If this is incorrect, I apologize.

I take your point, but please be aware that shifting to neutral at a stoplight will get you an "out of control" fail on some driving tests.

Sounds weird, but... Lots of info on Google on this. Its seems particularly weird when an Ishift is quite happy shifting to neutral on a downhill run. I don't understand the legal implications around that one either.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Thanks. I always shifted my personal trucks in neutral at lights.

I caught that on a CDL refresher. Its also a common tick mark on pre-employment check rides. Actual practice in the field varies. Driving a manual I will go into neutral on a very long light, or if I'm in a single lane construction zone. One thing to watch is clutch brake wear if you are in and out of neutral a lot.

I'm with Darryl, I don't see much difference between an autoshift and a 13/18 speed manual.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Well I was basing that on what I have read on this forum. I completely wrote off autoshift because of this.

I can't prove it, but I suspect there are going to be a significant differences between theoretically identical transmissions due to software upgrades over the years. My Ishift is a 2008 with all the bells and whistles that were available at the time, and I would love to try a 2015 just for comparison. I bet the newone picks gears better.

I would expect that to apply to any of the automated transmissions, but...

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Archived