if not Volvo then what

GlennWest

We are very much "each to their own people" -

We don't see the advantage to a "wide cab" conventional vs a B cab Kenworth (T600/660 etc) when you have a deck and a drome and boxes and haul a house with you back there on the "hitch" ?

On narrow roads, icy roads, and off hwy I always felt a little more in control in a KW, Pete, or old style Western Star vs driving your living room down the road. Nice and shady in the blaring sun vs school bus windshields, KW's are cozy warm in cold weather, quiet...

Driving a T800 one time we discussed "wide cab" conventionals for an RV puller and the Missus applied girl logic: "We sit upright in these seats when we travel and are pulling a house. Don't need more room for junk in the cab of the truck..."

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.mhc.com/trucks/i0310010

Take this T660, back the rear rear over the edge of a loading dock, roll a scrap bin under it, make two frame cuts and KABLAM! Drive away singled.

** Don't actually do this cuz someone will die, but a lot of the 6x2's are really that easy. T600 also got AG380 starting in 04~ish so there are a whole bunch of them out that aren't 8 baggers.

That's more than double the budget price. Given about 30k, what kw can you find that is so easy to single?

I'm a work'n on it.

We have a 610 Volvo with 430K on the clock, but it took us a year to fine it and was 2000 miles away. We looked at hundreds of used trucks from coast to coast, pray about it and the Lord will help fine what you need. Good hunting.....

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

There was their previous set of 08 or 09s that were the same thing but studios and 13 speeds. They may be old enough to get in the price range. Seems like there were a bunch of USX trucks at the time too but they are going to be a lot harder to pick out from the rest of the red trucks.

It is tempting to get a manual tranny. DW would never drive it though. A 2 pedal she would and an auto shift she likes but can't see her stopped at intersection holding in clutch. That would end her driving hdt. She has bad knee and 5'3. There are hundreds available with manuals.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Is that a bad thing?

We think it is. If any thing happened to me when we are on a trip, Deb could drive.

It happened once before we had an HDT. We had rented a motor home and had put both our names as drivers on it but was planning it would be just me driving. I ended up hitting my head as we were getting ready to leave an event and putting a nice gash in it. The medics did not think it was wise for me to drive home so Deb had to do the driving.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Yes, I definitely want my wife to be able to drive it. Life is too uncertain and she may need to.

Beyond the "need" to drive, I personally think it is a pleasure to drive truck. I'd want the wife (if I ever find one) to enjoy it as well and not make driving it a chore.

But an allison full auto is an easy swap in most any situation. An auto shift, not quite as easy, but as you can find, been done many times. If you find that perfect truck other the trans., why not put some time researching a swap? I'd pay for a swap in my freightliner if I had the need to as it is a very clean, well cared for, non smoker truck. I would never be able to find another of similar year model in the same condition for the little money I paid.

I'm a work'n on it.

Which Allison?

Nothing less than a 4000 Series Allison would do behind a Class 8 engine. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a very expensive proposition to retrofit one.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Yes, with all of the automated transmission trucks on the market, buying one makes far more economic sense than trying to retrofit an automatic.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Everyone will,.....or rather should have, a different view point on where their priorities lie when buying or retrofitting. For me, retrofitting is not an issue. But I can sure understand how it would be for others that have not done much of it.

I do not mean to impose my priorities here in any way. I only try to come up with options to meet a given budget. As a farmer, I am most always having to prioritize things to meet a low budget point.

If you can find a truck with the trans you wish to run and all other points on your list are met, that would awesome. But at some point you are going to want to be on the road rather than waiting for that one perfect truck to show up. It may. No doubt it can happen. But chances are not as high as people with a higher budget think they are.

I'm a work'n on it.

This from my 3000 but I think the 4000 is very similar.

Something to really think about before going to an Allison is the gearing ratios and that you only have six of them. Five fairly wide and one .75 overdrive, I think you can order a couple different ratio sets though. Now the torque converter takes care of the low speed end and with a lightly loaded HDT you should have the torque and RPM range to deal with the higher range gear spacing but you might be a lot happier with more gears giving you more RPM choices at cruise speed.

Another thought, the Allison only uses the torque converter in 1st and reverse and only below about 10 MPH in 1st. Once you hit 10 MPH it locks up and all shifts are done without unlocking it. In cool weather that can make for some really rough 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

You can reprogram a lot on the Allison, some from the under-dash plug but other stuff needs the computer module opened which is expensive. We passed on any changes past the ones done from the dash plug due to the cost.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

When we were looking for our HDT a few years ago we found some info in the forum regarding someone that had replaced their transmission with either an Autoshift or an Ultrashift (can't remember which) and it was very expensive. I think it was done at a place in Oregon or Washington state.

I do not think it is something for a DiY person.

I would think the Allision would be similar, you may well be on your own as there probably isn't too many people that have converted a Class 8 to one.

You would also have a one off truck that you might find hard to get worked on or parts for while traveling. In today's world, the first thing out of the parts guy mouth is "what is your Vin #" and if you want something that your truck didn't come with from the factory, you better have a part number yourself as they have no good way to look up parts anymore.

Keep looking, those 2 pedal trucks will become more available as they get older.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Check out Jordan Truck Parts in Crandall Texas. They have a bunch of KW T600's and Pete 387's that are factory singled trucks with ultrashift 2 pedal transmissions in them. They are high mile trucks but most have been overhauled and maintenance had been well documented. They pulled doubles for Dillard's dept store, so they haven't been abused pulling heavy loads. I have a 2006 T600 that they used to own. Knock on wood I've had no issues with mine and it had 1.1 million one it when I got it and I've n put 8000 on it in a year. The prices for the trucks are between 15-20k.

Torque will get you up the hill, HP will determine how fast. HP = T x RPM / 5252 T = HP x 5252 / RPM In answer to your statement, yes, for a given torque you need more RPM to gain more horsepower. This is where the rear end ratio and downshifting come in.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived