if not Volvo then what

GlennWest

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glen, that is the thing about finding a real good truck at a good price, you need to move on it...or somebody else always will.

Don't give up on Volvos just cuz you didn't make THIS deal work.

You may need to get some help though to get another good deal, and close it.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Be patient and good hunting. I got tired of looking and couldn't find the "Right One". We decided new was the direction we wanted after being beat out of a 2010 780 with 500k. I'm thankful because the truck travelled 105 miles and broke, then repaired travelled 250 miles and broke again. Thanks the chance with Used.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

We like our Midroof Freightliner. Not quite as nice as a Volvo with a workstation but we have been able to do minor changes to make it usable. We can put 4 adults and a little one in a car seat and all be comfortable for a long drive. We will be doing a 12 hour trip to KY here in a couple of weeks with the 5 of us.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The Volvo is certainly attractive for a variety of reasons. But there are other brands that work well and may have more availability of "good" trucks. You always take a chance on a used truck, no matter how well it is vetted. One of the major attractions of a Volvo has to be the amount of experience on the forum....but bear in mind many of the truck systems are similar.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Personally, other than Volvo being so popular with the rv crowd, I dont see any reason to be stuck on the brand. Peterbilt and KW have a much higher cool factor, but that only goes so far. Freightliners are a fine truck, but just as their new price is one of the lowest, their resale follows, making it a very affordable brand. Some people say freightliners rattle and fall apart etc. But I can show you trucks of all brands that fall apart when used in a manner they were not specified for when built. The reason for so many freightliner rattle stories is because many of the companies that order them, do so to put them on the less desirable routes. Other than the cab, the components are the same as all other class 8s.

I guess it depends upon your personality whether to go with the flow and buy volvo, or have a truck that says "you". I perhaps go too far to get away from the flow, but I sure have fun doing things my way. :)

Though my current rig in a freightliner, I prefer peterbilt.

I'm a work'n on it.

When I started our search Volvo was the 1st choice just because of popularity in the RV world, but a KW T2000 with a Smart became available and with some very good recommendations from folks here we jumped at it and are very happy with it. Yes it has needed some thing fixed and upgraded but I expected that.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Looking for just Volvo has limited my results. Also has been finding several states away. With my work schedule this gets frustrating. I want something comparable to a 630. I need to keep it short as possible and carry a Smart. Also rather limit truck to 30k or less dollars.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

does the T600 single easy?

No.

The T600 KW is a fine truck. It gets good mileage and has a good following of people that like them. However, if you have a dealer that is local to you and has a used one on the lot, I would suggest that you take a few minutes on a weekend and go spend some time sitting in the cab and assess the cab configuration and sleeper access. Many people that I know that have driven volvos and freightliners etc. that have a wider cab, then drive a classic pete or kw, can not believe how cramped they are with the seats so close. I think the western star has the widest cab ever put on a truck.

I'm a work'n on it.

ok, you just ruled out t600. The cab, my way of thinking, isn't a big deal. We would get a T420 if we could get a fridge in it. Don't believe we could out fit it for a MH registration.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, I agree that there are many nice trucks out there and if you drive down the road, you know that the majority are Volvo & Freightliner. You need to recognize that the two biggest obstacles you face are your price point and more so, wanting an automated transmission. If you would consider a very common 13 speed roadranger, your options would be greatly expanded. Best of luck in your search -Steve

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Actually many truck places especially their service dept are open late at night, so you may want ask their service manager to see if he can let you check out the inside of a particular truck.

Our Freightliner has an Ultrashift trans, was under 500k miles, already singled when we bought it 3 years ago from another forum member and it was under $30k.

I can't remember if our cab is larger than the 610/630 volvos or not. We have a twin mattress and cabinets behind the front seats. One cabinet holds the porta potty on bottom and storage above and the other cabinet has the microwave on top and place for ice chest below.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

By the don't have weekends off. When I'm off I'm completely off till next job. They just keep oming lately. That is a good thing but hinders truck buying

Glenn, keep getting more jobs and then you can pay more for what you really want. That is a good thing.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Glenn

Did you know that Volvos most popular model is the 670?

I realize it's a few inches longer and a bit higher compared to a a 630 but you can still single short and have the wheelbase very similar to a 630. Lots more available in the market place with automated transmissions. Just something else to think about. I must also point out I live my 780!

I normally work fairly regular. Just it seems lately I get little time off. We normally work 7/12s. We usually get a few weeks off between jobs. Got 1 day this time. Got 3 off last time. Slows down around Christmas, maybe then

Glen, in all honesty, take your time, save the money, and let things take their time happening. Our truck came to us at the right time, price, and condition. I had tried to put several other deals together with something happening that caused every deal to fall thru, from getting time off, to a truck not starting, mislead on conditions, etc. The right one will happen when its right. In the mean time work, be safe, and enjoy life...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Did you know that Volvos most popular model is the 670?

I realize it's a few inches longer and a bit higher compared to a a 630 . . .

The cab length of a 670 -- and therefore, the usable floor and wall space -- is identical to that of the 630. It's popularity, relative to the 630, is due to the condo roof. That sells well into fleets that operate in teams, giving each driver his/her own bunk.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

does the T600 single easy?

We didn't do it since I didn't know how. Had it done. When we were looking the salesman said a lot of drivers didn't like the small cab getting into the sleeper. Since we planned on removing the sleeper that wasn't a problem.

Like I said before, have owned the truck for over eleven years and have no plans on getting anything else.

https://www.mhc.com/trucks/i0310010

Take this T660, back the rear rear over the edge of a loading dock, roll a scrap bin under it, make two frame cuts and KABLAM! Drive away singled.

** Don't actually do this cuz someone will die, but a lot of the 6x2's are really that easy. T600 also got AG380 starting in 04~ish so there are a whole bunch of them out that aren't 8 baggers.

T600 also got AG380 starting in 04~ish so there are a whole bunch of them out that aren't 8 baggers.

A link to the Evil Empire, Scrap? Boooooooooo!

Just out of curiosity, has Kenworth reconsidered it's opposition to singling the AG380?

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived