Just ordered our 2017 Volvo 42T780

Larry&Donna-AK

Aren't straight trucks (no fifth wheel "hitch") less that 33000 GVWR exempt from FET when sold to the first user? In the truck industry sometimes referred to a 12 & 21 truck?

How can they take a semi trailer which is a separate vehicle into consideration?

Be aware I am easily confused May not have read the posts right...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry-

You should be excited about your build. It's a "fun" process and there is no one "perfect" spec for an RV HDT. Everyone has different requirements for their truck and everyone has different opinions on what they "need".

The FET requirement; however, is not based on if a truck will or will not be used for commercial purposes but only if it "could be" and that is why they look at weight (truck/trailer rated combo capacity less than 33K lbs) or chassis configuration. The ShowHauler type "super Class C" are exempt because that chassis is built for living quarters.

I went down this road and argued that my HDT is not for commercial use but to no avail. It does not matter how "out of the box" your spec's are, if they meet the criteria above then it's FET liable.

More power to you if your dealer did not charge you the FET. Ethics notwithstanding, you have to trust that your dealer/salesman is abiding by the law and would not "steer you wrong" (pun intended).

Enjoy the road! IMHO, it's better in a new truck! :D

Thank for the vote of confidence with regard to our build, we're very excited.

As for the other, it's way over my head. All I did was ask the question of my salesman, he in turn asked the sales manager who then ask the general manager and up the chain it went. Then down the chain with the thumbs up. The bottom line is if I have to pay I don't buy, there hasn't been any agrument. With this being said we're a long way from taking possession and registering.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Aren't straight trucks (no fifth wheel "hitch") less that 33000 GVWR exempt from FET when sold to the first user? In the truck industry sometimes referred to a 12 & 21 truck?

How can they take a semi trailer which is a separate vehicle into consideration?

Be aware I am easily confused May not have read the posts right...

From my understanding, yes. Under 33K is exempt.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I respect all of your comments regarding the FET dilemma. I just have to say. I am not a Company and do not have an LLC, I am retired private citizen with NO commerical transportation experience or knowledge. Currently we RV with a 40' Motorcoach towing a vehicle.

When I asked the dealership, before any build started, the FET question telling them exactly what my purpose, to build a Truck for the sole purpose of towing a 5th Wheel Trailer (our home) and maybe weekend camp in the truck. There was a positive interest and I waited many days before they said they could build me a truck. It's the dealerships decision and we started deciding how to complete the build, my Salesman tells me he has logged more than 120 hours with Company approval.

During the process Volvo Engineers were consulted and informed as to what the order was for.

I now have a contract with a deposit and the order has been placed.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

• 2 months later...

I appreciate the info from all who have shared on this thread. The Spec Sheet of Larry's build Is tremendous help as well. I too, like JC, am dreaming at this moment. But when the DW and I, get some some things "cleared off of the table,"....a 730 will be in our sites. I love my KW,...but a Volvo 730 offers so much more for me and my family.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

The builder of the truck can de-rate the axles to whatever is required. In our case, the rear will be a 23K rear de-rated to 20K and the 13.2K front axle will be de-rated to 13K for a total GCWR of 33K. Ordered without a fifth wheel and no 12% tax will apply. It doesn't make if difference if you tow a little red wagon or a fiver with it or park a small pipe organ on the back, the only thing that matters is the GCWR of the truck when new.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Just wanted to share...We're still excited but waiting. We have a confirmed order.

All is good in life. :)

However, I did add one more minor change to our bulid...I asked for 2 12v connectors to be on/off via the ignition key. They will be added near the CB. Wow major discussion with the Volvo Engineer, but all is approved and the additional cost was insignificant.

Unfortunately, everyone who has analyzed why there is no FET on my truck has not done so correctly. There is no debate.

However, if someone has a true desire to purchase a new truck you may want to do so before the Fall of 2016, the price is suppose to increase due to new emission standards. I heard +$10K to $12K

Archived