Just ordered our 2017 Volvo 42T780

Larry&Donna-AK

Errrr I meant to say 2 pedal above. Oops. And I meant to give a thumbs up to Kevin as well even though he is my stiffest competition. Isnt he great? It is tough to find a guy with just the right trucking/business/sales/show balance like that and that can choke down 200 BBQ lunches a year to boot! :). They did well with him and what they do and forced the rest of us to step it up!

And, yea, all new aftertreatment and communication coming yet again. Yay.......

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am yielding to the more Experienced and Experts. Overdrive with 2.67 wins

Here is the Volvo Predictor for both configurations PDF 8 Total pages 4 pages for each configuration. The only change is the Direct Drive with 2.50 Ratio and Overdrive with 2.67

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE8RW2gPZW2cXFEMzNxODUwYjhkcXlHeWxmRUlsdHhXMnNJ/view?usp=sharing

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Thank goodness for all the questions. some items I never considered

1. We asked for the Swivel seats, just thinking it would be more comfortable in case we had to boon docked and to move around.
  2. We have the Invertor/shore power, the receptacles will be available at the work station, microwave, and television areas.
  3. the heater was ordered but you're correct I don't see it,...thanks
  4. We want the bottom bunk/workstation and never considered anything else
  5. I don't know the answer about the tires vs axle but I will check. Just thinking it's not an issue.
  6. Tank location...has been a difficult issue for me to nail down. I've received a ordering code and we'll be checking on this

Larry-

Check out this option code to insure the tanks are mounted to be even with the rear chassis fairing:

HBXCOX Fuel Tank Position Dual Fuel Tanks, Rear Face of Both tanks @ XM6800

Our WB is 236" and Volvo mounted the tanks so the rear face of the tank is even with the edge of the chassis fairing.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Larry-

Check out this option code to insure the tanks are mounted to be even with the rear chassis fairing:

HBXCOX Fuel Tank Position Dual Fuel Tanks, Rear Face of Both tanks @ XM6800

Our WB is 236" and Volvo mounted the tanks so the rear face of the tank is even with the edge of the chassis fairing.

Thank you, I have passed this along to my salesman. We're trying to figure out what is the difference. If you noticed a Volvo engineer placed my tanks @XM6800 but front facing. What that will do I have know idea.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

What I find annoying, however, is the high reverse starting speed with direct drive high ratio rears.

I'm pretty sure that's the load sensor in the air bags telling the trans "we're light, start in a higher gear". Should be able to program that out or use "manual" to over-ride. (I'd hope)

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

The problem with the tanks is that the forward position on my 150 gallon tanks is that it puts to much weight on the front axle with a 236" WB. Myself and Gregg from RV haulers spent 1/2 hour with my salesman and told him where the tanks had to be. When the truck arrived with tanks in the rear position the Volvo dealership had to pay for the new fill nozzles welding and placing then in the forward position. I see the sheets you post use a 77K weight which does not apply to our application. Also, make sure when your dealer PDI's the truck you remove all the shutdowns you want and raise the top speed and cruise control top speed setting's. I also removed the soft resume on cruise. When, I hit resume now it accelerates much faster. Also, removed all limitations on TCS when it is shut off. The factory default was still applying partial traction control when turned off.

I'd suspect the gentle shift transmission changes the rate at which torque is reapplied after a shift...remember, the Volvo powertrain is set up so the transmission controls the engine, so it forces a throttle release to break torque, shifts to neutral, performs a splitter shift and/or range shift if needed while forcing a further throttle release to get the idling engine down to proper RPM for the next gear, shifts into gear as the RPM match, then reapplies throttle back to the appropriate amount to match the go pedal.

Another comment on the I-shift OD or not: the overall gear range of the I-shift (in other words, the ratio between first and twelfth) is the same whether you choose OD or DD. I think Scrap's got a point about the OD transmission: it's slightly silly to have an OD splitter section, as all of your even gears (other than top gear) involve gear reduction followed by gear "expansion", only to encounter gear reduction in the axle. In other words, second gear involves the main gearbox being in first gear (2.70:1, or something like that), the range shift being in low range (3.46:1), yet the splitter being in OD (0.78:1). But the whole thing is certainly rated for the max program your engine can take, so it'll be fine for the long haul.

So how will all of this affect his "reverse" gears? Which selection of transmission would an OTR fleet select and why? One nice comment on the iShift seems to be the "softer" approach to the trailer pin while in reverse. Can this choice in transmissions cause a "negative" effect on reversing? It seems Scrap mentioned something about this in his comments. As RV haulers do we really need to get so "complex" in our selections of motors, transmissions, rear end ratios, and such? It seems like your really have to "trust" your salesman and his engineering support to give you the correct info. It probably can be quit a challenge for everyone to be on the "same" page and talk the same "language" especially when you are not doing so face to face. So far it seems like everyone who has ordered a new Volvo has had the same type of problems anyone ordering a "custom" item would have when ordering sight unseen. So many choices and too much to know!

Not sure I would trust a salesman in this kind of situation. Best to become very knowledgeable yourself and in most cases you will be educating the sales staff. They just don't deal that much with the kind of weights and needs that we have. Hopefully they would submit everything to engineering and that might hold more water instead of someone saying that the sales guy really didn't know what he was talking about. Sales guys are trained to sell, not really advise. Though they certainly are trained to sound like it.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Well, all I can tell you from my experience so far(20,000 miles) with the 500/1850-2.67 with OD i-shift that there has not been any issues backing up the RV and is very controlled and smooth when hitching up. If, I was to spec out another new truck today I would order this exact combination again. I think one of the biggest things that has come from your build is that you were able to order it without the fifth wheel and avoid the FET. This is the way I believe companies like Show Hauler order their trucks and don't pay FET. It is not an issue in Canada since the FET does not apply here.

I visited http://www.andymohrtruckcenter.com/ a couple of weeks ago. He's familiar with Gregg Shields and RV Haulers and a fan of what "We" do with these trucks. He has a combination that was designed for FedEx that is EXCLUDED from F.E.T. I've been meaning to get back to him with my configuration for a quote.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Gentlemen, for us there are only two ways to legally be excluded from FET for a NEW truck.

1) weight of truck must be below 19,500 lbs AND the combined weight of truck and trailer cannot exceed 33k lbs.

2) the chassis is specially designed as to preclude the use of the truck for any other use other than what it is intended - RV living.

That's it. Buy in Canada or buy used but LEGALLY those are the options to avoiding the FET.

It has nothing to do with the fifth wheel.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

So then how are they getting out of the FET? Because no trailer/truck combo here is likely to meet your #1. And the #2 seems so undefined as to never be able to be met.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So then how are they getting out of the FET? Because no trailer/truck combo here is likely to meet your #1. And the #2 seems so undefined as to never be able to be met.

Exactly Jack.

Actually,#2 is how companies like ShowHauler can be exempt from the FET. The chassis is so specific to an RV application that there is no way the chassis can be utilized for anything other than RV use.

I believe the Fed Gov just wants to make sure these are not used for any commercial hauling applications.

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Today we finalized our order for a new Volvo 42T780, very excited. We wavered on the purchase until the my Dealership offered to eliminate the 12% Excise Tax. Huge savings. We jumped on this and added a few options. :)

Thank you to all of the HDT Forum Members for your advise and input.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE8RW2gPZW2dm1LZTFHYkNJLS1QSXFMbFR3UDFyWHRWWDlJ/view?usp=sharing

In the first post here it says that the dealership "eliminated" the FET. Is this just another 12% discount on the truck or did they get the truck exempt from the FET? The elimination of the hitch in the order plus many other items as far as hauling a trailer.

Larry-AK%252520spec.jpg

Rick-

I think it's a "12%" discount because Larry's total weight (16,279) is just under mine at 16,458. His GVW will be close to 33,500. Unless the trailer being hauled is rated at or under 16,720 lbs then the it will be over the 33K lb limit.

The combined weight includes the cargo carrying capacity of the trailer not just the dry weight listed from the manufacturer.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Firstly my disclaimer, I am not expert or have any knowledge of the trucking world nor it's taxing or obligations nor do I have a CDL. I am Private Person buying a truck as a Recreation Vehicle. Now to answer the question of FET and my approach to our purchase. Many people automatically think/believe Commercial Rules for all Trucks. We asked the question "Our Truck will be Privately Owned Not for Hire RV and will NEVER be used Commerically, do the same rules apply?". It appears the answer is "NO". Therefore, if the Truck, on it's first retail sale is not a For Hire vehicle then FET does not apply. That's the simple answer. Just remember I AM NOT AN EXPERT AND NOT GIVING ADVISE, just explaining my experience.

In the first post here it says that the dealership "eliminated" the FET. Is this just another 12% discount on the truck or did they get the truck exempt from the FET? The elimination of the hitch in the order plus many other items as far as hauling a trailer.

Larry-AK%2520spec.jpg

The transportation package deletion was my request because we will be installing a Smart Car Bed, why buy something I won't use. The "Trailer Brake Hand Control" was deleted in error and will be re added. I received a credit from Volvo.

Found this in the IRS tax code under FET: See last paragraph

Articles exempt from tax. The tax on heavy trucks, trailers, and tractors does not apply to sales of the articles described in the following discussions.

Rail trailers and rail vans. This is any chassis or body of a trailer or semitrailer designed for use both as a highway vehicle and a railroad car (including any parts and accessories designed primarily for use on and in connection with it). Do not treat a piggyback trailer or semitrailer as designed for use as a railroad car.
Parts and accessories. This is any part or accessory sold separately from the truck or trailer, except as described earlier under Parts or accessories and Separate purchase.
Trash containers. This is any box, container, receptacle, bin, or similar article that meets all the following conditions.
  • It is designed to be used as a trash container.

• It is not designed to carry freight other than trash.

• It is not designed to be permanently mounted on or affixed to a truck chassis or body.

House trailers. This is any house trailer (regardless of size) suitable for use in connection with either passenger automobiles or trucks.
Camper coaches or bodies for self-propelled mobile homes. This is any article designed to be mounted or placed on trucks, truck chassis, or automobile chassis and to be used primarily as living quarters or camping accommodations. Further, the tax does not apply to chassis specifically designed and constructed to accommodate and transport self-propelled mobile home bodies.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Gentlemen, for us there are only two ways to legally be excluded from FET for a NEW truck.

1) weight of truck must be below 19,500 lbs AND the combined weight of truck and trailer cannot exceed 33k lbs.

2) the chassis is specially designed as to preclude the use of the truck for any other use other than what it is intended - RV living.

That's it. Buy in Canada or buy used but LEGALLY those are the options to avoiding the FET.

It has nothing to do with the fifth wheel.

I yield to your expertise regarding Commercial use vehicle. My understanding of FET is this is an IRS tax designed for commercial vehicles. This can include for hire autos, pickups, or HDT. Yes, there are weight and length restrictions for the Commerical Vehicle but I believe this is for all vehicles and are only qualifiers not for a Tax designed for commercial use. My question then would be: if you buy a used HDT and convert it to private use and tow your privately owned 5th wheel are you still adhering to the same rules you stated? If I buy a new Pickup Truck, Ford F-350, for the sole purpose of transporting 5th wheels for hire from one location to another, don't I have to comply to the trucking industry and have a CDL (I've been told, yes you do)? Either Truck can be used for what it was not intended use.

Found this in the IRS tax code under FET: See last paragraph

Articles exempt from tax. The tax on heavy trucks, trailers, and tractors does not apply to sales of the articles described in the following discussions.

Rail trailers and rail vans. This is any chassis or body of a trailer or semitrailer designed for use both as a highway vehicle and a railroad car (including any parts and accessories designed primarily for use on and in connection with it). Do not treat a piggyback trailer or semitrailer as designed for use as a railroad car.

Parts and accessories. This is any part or accessory sold separately from the truck or trailer, except as described earlier under Parts or accessories and Separate purchase.

Trash containers. This is any box, container, receptacle, bin, or similar article that meets all the following conditions.

• It is designed to be used as a trash container.

• It is not designed to carry freight other than trash.

• It is not designed to be permanently mounted on or affixed to a truck chassis or body.

House trailers. This is any house trailer (regardless of size) suitable for use in connection with either passenger automobiles or trucks.

Camper coaches or bodies for self-propelled mobile homes. This is any article designed to be mounted or placed on trucks, truck chassis, or automobile chassis and to be used primarily as living quarters or camping accommodations. Further, the tax does not apply to chassis specifically designed and constructed to accommodate and transport self-propelled mobile home bodies.

Interesting.

As there are a few more new trucks being ordered it nice to have reference to the builds. The dealership I ordered from could or maybe would not not delete the FW hitch.....but you were able to. Great for those ordering new trucks. Other's have said they could not order the sink/inverter/webasto......but I had no problem. How your dealership had the the FET exempt from the order would be nice to know. The more info the better. :) The items deleted from your build could make a very good argument for the exemption of the FET....that's why I posted it.

As there are a few more new trucks being ordered it nice to have reference to the builds. The dealership I ordered from could or maybe would not not delete the FW hitch.....but you were able to. Great for those ordering new trucks. Other's have said they could not order the sink/inverter/webasto......but I had no problem. How your dealership had the the FET exempt from the order would be nice to know. The more info the better. :) The items deleted from your build could make a very good argument for the exemption of the FET....that's why I posted it.

We are Super Excited with our purchase. We have a purchase agreement with a deposit and final amount due upon delivery. We understand our approach is out of the box, maybe simplistic, but all we can do is ask the question and let the professionals provide the answer. The dealership is happy and I'm happy. The great thing about our build is our Salesman. He got excited about our build, with the dealership approval, and when I asked a question he did not give me a "Canned" answer. I am confident our build was not just another sale for him. A rare combination.

Also, I want to thank you and the rest of the contributors for pointing out my errors, we are now correcting/tweaking the build. All of you are helping us make our Truck fantastic.

Larry-

You should be excited about your build. It's a "fun" process and there is no one "perfect" spec for an RV HDT. Everyone has different requirements for their truck and everyone has different opinions on what they "need".

The FET requirement; however, is not based on if a truck will or will not be used for commercial purposes but only if it "could be" and that is why they look at weight (truck/trailer rated combo capacity less than 33K lbs) or chassis configuration. The ShowHauler type "super Class C" are exempt because that chassis is built for living quarters.

I went down this road and argued that my HDT is not for commercial use but to no avail. It does not matter how "out of the box" your spec's are, if they meet the criteria above then it's FET liable.

More power to you if your dealer did not charge you the FET. Ethics notwithstanding, you have to trust that your dealer/salesman is abiding by the law and would not "steer you wrong" (pun intended).

Enjoy the road! IMHO, it's better in a new truck! :D

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived