Just ordered our 2017 Volvo 42T780

Larry&Donna-AK

Today we finalized our order for a new Volvo 42T780, very excited. We wavered on the purchase until the my Dealership offered to eliminate the 12% Excise Tax. Huge savings. We jumped on this and added a few options. :)

Thank you to all of the HDT Forum Members for your advise and input.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE8RW2gPZW2dm1LZTFHYkNJLS1QSXFMbFR3UDFyWHRWWDlJ/view?usp=sharing

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the Congrats.

We've asked for a January Build for the 2017 year, it was explained to us prior to January would be a 2016.

Our color is "Bright Silver Metallic". My Wife is calling it "Silvertip" for a Grizzly Bear.

Options: I can say we didn't get the Sink option, not allowed because of the Inverter Option, but we loaded it up.

Being a novice to HDT we've attempted to prep the Truck for a Smart Car Bed and spent to many hours asking for approvals from Volvo for the deviations. i.e. 236 Wheelbase with a 72" Overhang; we asked for NO 5th wheel and credit, approved; asked for the hose and electrical connector to be attached to the rear of the frame, approved; Front/Rear Disc Brakes upgraded to 17"; etc.

The engine, we were on the fence until we talked with the Volvo engineer. He advised us toward the 405HP Eco Torque with the "Gentle I-Shift Direct Drive", 2.50 locking Rearend. I was concerned about the Horse Power but the Engineer pointed out that we could change the Engine up to 500 HP and/or to an XE with only a Flash Programming at the dealer. All current parts remain the same, I thought this was a sweet.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Congrats. watching to see the photos and stuff you hopefully will be posting .

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You may wish to publish which dealership you used.

Congrats on the truck. If you have the PDF of the spec sheet I'd like to have a copy if you don't mind.....email me privately.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As jack asked, I too would be interested in the build sheet as I'm considering a new truck in the future.

And congrats from us as well on you new ride.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

If I get the build sheet I'll remove any proprietary info/pricing from it and post it on my website. Along with some others I have. With permission, of course.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

As jack asked, I too would be interested in the build sheet as I'm considering a new truck in the future.

And congrats from us as well on you new ride.

JC

You gonna sell your truck JC? How soon?

www.jackdanmayer.com

Congrats on the new Volvo.

You will enjoy it and not be sorry you went new. Nothing like being the first owner.

We'll be pulling our 405hp out to Hutch this year with 23K lbs on the back so we'll let you know how it does.

Volvo usually starts the January builds around mid-month so hopefully it's to the dealer by end of February. I believe you have up to 41 days prior to build start to make any last minute changes without additional costs.

During our discussions & factory tour with Volvo, we asked about the 5th wheel elimination so I am glad they have finally allowed it.

Very nice indeed. We'll definitely want pictures.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

You gonna sell your truck JC? How soon?

Just a dream at the moment. Have a lot of things in the back ground in play and once those sort them selves out then I'll look at a new ride. We're parking from January till June in key west next yr and that may be when this gets done. Going to KW to decide if way later in life that's where we want to spend more time.

Thanks jack

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Larry-AK

Be very specific on the tank placement. Volvo likes to place the tanks past the fairing edge which reduces the amount of storage in the Smart bed. My spec's were right on and the tanks were placed exactly at the edge of the chassis fairing which has given me a lot of space for storage.

HBXCOX Fuel Tank Position Dual Fuel Tanks, Rear Face of Both tanks @ XM6800

This is with a partial chassis fairing.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Congrats on the truck. If you have the PDF of the spec sheet I'd like to have a copy if you don't mind.....email me privately.

The dealership is "Northwest Equipment Sales, Inc." (NWE). (208) 362-3400 Salesman: Shane Clever (shanec@nwesales.com)

They are a Volvo / Mack dealership in Boise ID.

I have to add my Salesman was very patient with me and professional. I had many questions and if he didn't know the answer he took the time to find out, even when I asked WHY would I need to pay the Excise Tax. I'd give him and the dealership 110%.

I'll email you my final proposal and love for all to view it.

I'm open to any question, comment, or suggestion. My Salesman tells me that if I need to change the build he could do it, because of the build date I requested.

Larry,

Congrat's on the new truck. The WB on my truck was also 236" with a 80" overhang. I have the sink option but changed to a Magnum Inverter/charger which was done by the modification center at the Volvo factory. The upgrade and warranty for the 500/1850 that I spec'ed was a lot more money and if I could have got the 600/2250 spec I would have......I asked but they said "no" and that I would rip the single rear axle out of the truck. :) I do live in the west and am in the mountains all the time......I use all the HP and torque the truck has a lot of the time with the 2.67 gears. I would also like to see your spec sheet and is good for the people here if they are thinking of buying a new truck. You're going to love it......congrat's! :)

You will enjoy it and not be sorry you went new. Nothing like being the first owner.

We'll be pulling our 405hp out to Hutch this year with 23K lbs on the back so we'll let you know how it does.

Volvo usually starts the January builds around mid-month so hopefully it's to the dealer by end of February. I believe you have up to 41 days prior to build start to make any last minute changes without additional costs.

During our discussions & factory tour with Volvo, we asked about the 5th wheel elimination so I am glad they have finally allowed it.

Thank you for the build schedule, we are really excited and can hardly wait for the truck to arrive.

I got to celebrate last night with an extra scoop of Ice Cream.

Larry,

Congrat's on the new truck. The WB on my truck was also 236" with a 80" overhang. I have the sink option but changed to a Magnum Inverter/charger which was done by the modification center at the Volvo factory. The upgrade and warranty for the 500/1850 that I spec'ed was a lot more money and if I could have got the 600/2250 spec I would have......I asked but they said "no" and that I would rip the single rear axle out of the truck. :) I do live in the west and am in the mountains all the time......I use all the HP and torque the truck has a lot of the time with the 2.67 gears. I would also like to see your spec sheet and is good for the people here if they are thinking of buying a new truck. You're going to love it......congrat's! :)

When investigating HP with the I-Shift I noticed the warranty of the I-Shift warranty was reduced once the engine torque went above 1750 lb/ft , probably will not affect my operation but it's a factor of confidence with Volvo. The great advantage, eliminated my worry of Horsepower, is the D13 from 405HP to 500HP all the components are the same, it's just a Flashing change to achieve your desired HP, it was cheaper for us to start at the lower HP.

It was recommended to me to choose the "Gentle I-Shift, Direct Drive" and with the 2.50 Ratio, which we selected. One of the issues explained to me is the I-Shift Overdrive (.78 final gear) and the 2.67 ratio does a great job but the final I-Shift "Overdrive" Gear (.78) created the debate of being a little weaker when maximum torque was required, at cruise speeds, with the transmission quickly downshifting to achieve the required torque. Our drivetrain selection is suppose to elevate the presumed weakness with the transmission final gear being Direct Drive (1:1 ratio) when coupled to the 2.50 Ratio. We'll be near the same RPM but the Maximum Torque will be available when required with less downshifting. Sounded good to me but what do I know.

Also, the "Gentle" I-Shift is used was developed for tankers to reduce the hard shifting and "sloshing" within the tank for a smoother ride for the Tractor Trailer combination, not suppose to reduce the transmission performance. Another recommendation.

I must admit all this is an area I debated over for weeks and with NO experience I took ended up with the advice of the experts, believe me there was many hours of debate even between the Volvo Engineer and Dealership during our build process.

Larry,

The 500/1850-2.67 spec allows the truck to run at very low rpm and with the overdrive i-shift with the light weights we haul it almost never shifts out of 12th gear. Also, 11th gear is 1 to 1 and still runs relatively low rpm with a 2.67 gear. If, you are planning to upgrade to a higher HP/TQ spec in the future I would consider the i-shift with the .78 final. JMHO and 20,000 miles of RV'ing with this combo. The dealers and Volvo really are geared more toward commercial applications. The gentle shift may be something a 80K tanker may need but don't see it myself for our application and with the standard smooth shifting i-shift......again with much lower weights we are hauling. They are probably reducing HP/TQ between shifts to get the "Gentle shift".....I think the normal shift does enough of that and if anything would like quicker and harder shifts in my truck. Did you order the VEC? If, so let me know as it was very annoying to drive with until the Bendix rep tuned it to my needs. It, was again geared towards stopping and following distances with a 80K load. Also, don't forget to order the"ADJUSTABLE TIME GAP" for the VEC which I missed and my salesman didn't inform me about. Also, if you ordered the TPMS reducing the tire pressures to meet our needs is an issue since they are intended for 80K loads and default setting is 110 PSI which we don't need. I am still working with Bendix to resolve this issue.

Larry,

The 500/1850-2.67 spec allows the truck to run at very low rpm and with the overdrive i-shift with the light weights we haul it almost never shifts out of 12th gear. Also, 11th gear is 1 to 1 and still runs relatively low rpm with a 2.67 gear. If, you are planning to upgrade to a higher HP/TQ spec in the future I would consider the i-shift with the .78 final. JMHO and 20,000 miles of RV'ing with this combo. The dealers and Volvo really are geared more toward commercial applications. The gentle shift may be something a 80K tanker may need but don't see it myself for our application and with the standard smooth shifting i-shift......again with much lower weights we are hauling. They are probably reducing HP/TQ between shifts to get the "Gentle shift".....I think the normal shift does enough of that and if anything would like quicker and harder shifts in my truck. Did you order the VEC? If, so let me know as it was very annoying to drive with until the Bendix rep tuned it to my needs. It, was again geared towards stopping and following distances with a 80K load. Also, don't forget to order the"ADJUSTABLE TIME GAP" for the VEC which I missed and my salesman didn't inform me about. Also, if you ordered the TPMS reducing the tire pressures to meet our needs is an issue since they are intended for 80K loads and default setting is 110 PSI which we don't need. I am still working with Bendix to resolve this issue.

All these are good points and I yield to your experience. Starts my dilemma over again of what to do, again. Thank you :unsure:

The one advantage with my indecisive nature, is the day we went to complete the order the Volvo Factory Truck arrived with the Product information trailer. WOW, what an education. The 670 Truck had all the Bells & Whistles and the Driver evaluates most of the new stuff long before it's released into production, he knew his product and loved to tell you the pros & cons without bias. Also, a Product Engineer arrived for a presentation that I was able to chat with one on one, his fame is he started on the assembly line for more than a decade and got his engineering degree. I learned more about Volvo's than I could image from these two individuals.

Therefore, NO for the VEC or the TPMS, at least I said no.

One point I learned from them is the XE package was developed for the 670 and eastern USA, 70% of Volvo market. Not to say it wouldn't work in other parts of the USA. To receive the full benefit of the XE there is a host of options, Aerodynamics, etc. which some are only available for 670 and 231 Wheelbase. One option that I was disappoint in not being able to add is the flaired side fairing, no such thing for the 780. Even though my wheelbase is longer it would have provided better aerodynamics and transition for the the front edge of the Smartcar Bed.

I'm very interested to hear your results.

Archived