Passport

methos54

Seeing that it's Federal, I don't think it matters where you submit your passport application. I think most accepting agents will require a second ID along with your drivers license if you are applying out of your home state though. Try the State Dept's passport wizard to see what it says. You'll have to use your domicile ID and address for the application, but it can also be mailed to a separate mailing address.

You may apply anywhere. Ron applied fgor his in Ytexas and I renewed mine there even though we are domiciled in SD. You will use your legal address. If you are planning to change your legal domicile then you should do that first so that your passport shows your correct address. If you use your current Illinois Addy then you will need to change it to your new one.

Make sure that you have all your correct documents needed when you appear to apply. You can get the list the give passport website.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

When we got our passports, we were domiciled in South Dakota, but got the passports through the post office in Blythe, CA. We got the passport cards and they do not show the address on them...perhaps the full passport does.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We got the passport cards and they do not show the address on them...perhaps the full passport does.

Passports have never had address information printed on them. There's a place where you can put such information but it's not required.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Passports have never had address information printed on them. There's a place where you can put such information but it's not required.

X2. It's a convenience, if you choose, so that it can be returned to you if lost, but not for identification purposes. Tip: Use pencil so it's easy to update if you happen to move within the 10 year life of your passport.

Which brings up another question that I was not able to find an answer to yesterday after an, albeit, brief search: How do you go about changing the address that was used when you first got the passport? Or is that really necessary?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Which brings up another question that I was not able to find an answer to yesterday after an, albeit, brief search: How do you go about changing the address that was used when you first got the passport? Or is that really necessary?

It's not necessary. Your passport is used simply as proof of your identity and citizenship. Your mailing address makes no difference... although.. if you had a name change you would want to have it reissued. You can just do that through the mail or any passport office. It would follow the same process as renewing your passport, but remember that your old passport would have to be surrendered at the time you applied for an updated passport.

My passports had a space to write your address. The instruction said to use pencil so it could be easily changed if you moved.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I'd think you'd want a current address in the passport and also with the issuer so that it could be returned to you if lost or they could contact you if there were issues. I sure don't find anything like that as an option here though:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'd think you'd want a current address in the passport and also with the issuer so that it could be returned to you if lost or they could contact you if there were issues.

It is a convenience, but all of your information (drivers license, social, etc) is easily accessible using your passport number. Any official agency would have no difficultly accessing your most current particulars. All I'm familiar with when it comes to reissues is for lost, incorrect, or a name change. One little tidbit. If you DO have an error on your passport it's a good idea to get a reissue within the first year. If it's within the first year, the expiration date will be reset from the date of the reissue. If it's over one year, the original expiration date will stand.

Archived