Childs seats in a class A MH?

Phil Saran

We are planning a trip to the West Coast next summer (2016) and want to take our daughter and two grandkids.

We have a couch and banquette both with seat belts so I know what to do for the 7-1/2 yr. (then) olds car seat, but

the 1-1/2 yr. old (then) car seat needs more anchoring. He is a heavy kid (23 lbs. now at 8 months old) so he will

be a bruiser by then.

What have others done so they could take their grand kids along??

Open to comments and opinions.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

in my 2012 Freedom Elite 21C it has the harness/seatbelt combination so it is very sturdy. It's located at the dinette table.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

He may need to ride in the passenger seat. Be aware that many states now require children under the age of 2 require them to be rear facing. Don't know how that will affect your seating arrangement

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Hi All

Our Grandson at 1 1/2 rode in one of those car seats that completely enclose and straps in the child. The seat was then buckled in on the couch.

At age 3 he rode in the front passenger seat so he could see out and participate in our conversations as we went along. He had outgrown the "Carseat" but did use a "booster seat" sometimes.

None of our children or grandchildren rode in "Carseats" much beyond 3 or four years old.

Dave O

Thanks for the responses. Yes for the younger one his seat needs to be rear facing until he is 2 yr. old.

Since we have a banquette I will need to find a way to add a anchor point behind the couch for his seat.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

I would be remiss if I didn't address something here...

When putting a safety seat into an RV, please anchor the seat tether to the framework of the RV, not merely onto the couch/seat/whatever. That action could mean the difference between life and death for your beloved little ones.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Archived