Lubricating Curt 5th Wheel Hitch

kinseypw

After about a year on the road I finally got around to reading the manual for my hitch. One item I am struggling with is to lubricate two grease nipples on the front of the hitch. They are in recessed holes and my grease gun wont fit. Anyone have experience in greasing these puppies and can tell me where to get the right nozzle? The hitch is a Curt Q16

What you need is called a needle grease fitting. It fits onto your regular grease gun head and the narrow "needle" is pressed onto the grease nipple. There is no positive lock and constant pressure must kept on the nipple to force the grease in. I used this to grease a drive shaft that had a fitting that i could not get at without dropping the shaft. It saved me a lot of time!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

orca, every one of those older cars that I used a needle fitting on had a "dimple" in the side of the U-joint that acted as a receiver for that needle fitting. I tried a few times to hit a normal zerk fitting with one and created a mess. I was using either a hydraulic pumped gun or an air powered one so it might work better with a hand pump. I know I used to have a narrow fitting that was a lot smaller than my regular one for tight areas but I haven't seen anything like it in 40 years.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

GeorgiaHybrid; the one in my tool box came with my 1970 Toyota 4x4 and did the math ...you are right i am old!! But i did google it and you can still get them. If the fitting has the little "dish" in the center where the little ballbearing is it will work but it helps to have a third hand.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Archived