How to neutral bond your invertor style generator

MrSeas

Those home made Neutral to Ground Bonding plugs have been discussed and pictured on here before, indeed they work by taking a regular NEMA 5-15P Plug and using a jumper wire to connect the Neutral terminal to the Ground terminal so when plugged in you have a Neutral/Ground bond. This will likely make those protection devices operate. The Generator manufacturers cant predict where or on what or how you're going to use their devices, so they may float the Neutral and let the customer deal with any bonding issues or requirements (and covering their you know what) by posting the warning and instructions GROUND AND BOND IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NEC which really explains it in detail to the average RV owner now doesn't it lol. For example if you use a back up emergency generator to feed your 120/240 home and just use a cheaper two pole transfer or lock out switching arrangement (IE don't switch Neutral) the genset would NOT use a Neutral/Ground Bond. I guess that's maybe one reason Honda and Yamaha etc float their Neutrals as not all their products are for RV only use????

John T

Yeah, this is a typical "issue" for a long time. HERE is a little "article" I wrote on it. It should probably be expanded....but it served its purpose at the time.

This and many RV-related electrical issues are discussed on Mike Sokal's website and in his book on the same subject. I would urge any RVer that is delving into RV electrical to buy the book....or to at least read the articles on the website. Mostly, Mike explains things in a manner that is understandable by a layman.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived